• > STAY HOME & STAY SAFE! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

2017 iPhone Photography Awards open for entries - Deadline March 31, 2017

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
There is also the Mobile Photography Awards contest http://mobilephotoawards.com/ but I think that doesn't come up until near the end of the year.
I'm not saying that some Mobi members couldn't make the grade, but have you looked at the standard of that competition!!!
Even the HM's are amazing, I can't even imagine that people are taking photo's like that with a phone :eek:
The grand winner is a professional photo journalist who has pictures of President Obama included in his entries among others.

Not just Ted but EVERYONE

Maybe we should have a MobiTog grand competition, it would hone our skills for other competitions and maybe we would see who of us would be able to hold our own with the best of the rest.

Either have an end of year set of theme's similar to the MPA or put each MB/W and MC weekly winners into a monthly set and then ask for votes from all members. The winner would go into an end of year vote to see what WE considered the best image.
There would only be 12 or 24 if we did b/w and colour separate. I'm happy to help sort it.

Ok there would be no prize as such, but maybe the honor of being the grand winner would be prize enough.

Tell me to shut up if you want ;)

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I'm not saying that some Mobi members couldn't make the grade, but have you looked at the standard of that competition!!!
Even the HM's are amazing, I can't even imagine that people are taking photo's like that with a phone :eek:
The grand winner is a professional photo journalist who has pictures of President Obama included in his entries among others.

Maybe we should have a MobiTog grand competition, it would hone our skills for other competitions and maybe we would see who of us would be able to hold our own with the best of the rest.

Either have an end of year set of theme's similar to the MPA or put each MB/W and MC weekly winners into a monthly set and then ask for votes from all members. The winner would go into an end of year vote to see what WE considered the best image.
There would only be 12 or 24 if we did b/w and colour separate. I'm happy to help sort it.

Ok there would be no prize as such, but maybe the honor of being the grand winner would be prize enough.

Wow, I can't believe they are taken AND edited with a mobile device. War zones, famines, blimey these people get about. :eek:

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Well, I did actually get an honourable mention in the MPAs but it was the arty-farty section cause I felt this was the only category where I stood a chance. Thought it wasn't my best though but chuffed that I at least got a mention.

Yes, I think this is a great idea. The problem I find is knowing what to submit. Even now I am battling to decide what to enter for the IPPA. But if we were to have our own competition would this rule us out of submitting the images for the real thing? That's what would worry me. However, I think it would be great to give a tenner for say 10 entries and then give a little award at the end. Would sort of make it more kosher.

Last edited:

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Folks, I have another question. It says that photos have to be in the original size. Does that mean you are not allowed to crop or increase the resolution in Big Photo?

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
But 'our' competition would not be open to the public, just MobiMembers.
I don't think they'll see it the same way. Competition full-stop. No matter where and/or under how many. Means no teligible for entries in those "posh" completions anymore. [emoji53]

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Folks, I have another question. It says that photos have to be in the original size. Does that mean you are not allowed to crop or increase the resolution in Big Photo?
They say original size but not smaller than 1000px short side so I understood you might crop it.

And they said any phone/pod/pad app is allowed. I even played with idea of another photo bombed (cat bomb and such) image. But here as well I'm not sure about copy rights. It's all okay for FB and such, but I'm still not sure if I could enter a picture of the museums. I really have to check that out for next next year, because there was where my best shots happened. And also people that can be recognised are a big problem (at least with German law). I couldn't enter them if I don't have it on paper that they agree to "be sold". It's dancing on thin ice. [emoji53]
So I'd better enter the pomelo. [emoji1]
But at least you can use snapseed and such to get out the best, so big photo must be alright, too. Nevertheless I also think they will have an eye on quality as well, means if you enlarge it you might get the pixels, but lose the crispiness. You know what I mean, do you?

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I just can't see how you can take a picture at lets say 12mp and an app makes it 20mp, is that just possible?
Jupp, is. But it's either blurred or you have tiles like in your bathroom. [emoji4] you will indeed lose quality. But you have to think the other way. If you take a 12mp picture and the image in the picture has to be cropped to reveal all its beauty there might be just 998px the long side left. Too small to enter into contest. Resized you can if you can alter it that it looks like intention or convincing enough. Are you with me? [emoji4]

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Jupp, is. But it's either blurred or you have tiles like in your bathroom. [emoji4] you will indeed lose quality. But you have to think the other way. If you take a 12mp picture and the image in the picture has to be cropped to reveal all its beauty there might be just 998px the long side left. Too small to enter into contest. Resized you can if you can alter it that it looks like intention or convincing enough. Are you with me? [emoji4]
I think I'm with you Gouvy, it increases the pixel size not the amount of pixels, yes?

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I just can't see how you can take a picture at lets say 12mp and an app makes it 20mp, is that just possible?
It's possible, sort of. An app like Big Photo can increase the number of pixels in a image. For example, if I've got a 300x300 pixel image and I want to increase it to 600x600, then each pixel in the original image is translated to four pixels in the new image. Along the way, apps like BP do some interpolation of colors and tones to try to keep things smooth instead of jaggy. But as Gouvy said, when you enlarge an image like this, it gets "softer" (edges less well defined, etc.), so it almost always needs some sharpen/structure afterwards.

Photoshop on the desktop does the same kind of thing, with the same drawbacks, but it does it better than mobile apps (so far).

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
It says that photos have to be in the original size. Does that mean you are not allowed to crop or increase the resolution in Big Photo?
It says original size or not smaller than 1000 pixels in either direction. I took the "or" to mean you can crop but not too small. And I guess the other means don't make it larger than the original size, though I don't see why they'd care about that. I guess they mean the size of the original captures (i.e., the full resolution of your phone), although that would be meaningless for digital art that doesn't start from a photo. Anyway, if I had a 600x600 pixel image I thought was a winner, I wouldn't feel restricted from using Big Photo to increase it at least to the minimum.