• > Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and your MobiStaff... x x <

2018 iPhone Photography Awards winners

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
https://www.ippawards.com/2018-winning-photographers/

I didn't win. :lmao:

As usual, there are many superb images and, also as usual, a few that will leave you wondering what the judges were thinking. I managed to eke out a single HM in Nature for a b/w agave photo (which I'd entered in Abstract :confused:).
Well done Ted. :thumbs: Don’t diss your HM, there’s actually not that many of them. What’s that dark old bush doing coming second in Floral? Bizarre. Clearly, you have to be a world traveller to get into the top three in each category. I looked in Architecture and honestly, we’ve got some better architecture images on here. deepop David’s done some that are definitely up there. And Dee has some better sunsets. Oh well.:rolleyes:

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
What’s that dark old bush doing coming second in Floral?
And what's that other b/w agave doing in Floral? :D

Clearly, you have to be a world traveller to get into the top three in each category.
It's quite an international crowd of photogs, though, so those (or some of those) might be people shooting on their home ground, like me going to Yosemite or Death Valley or Pinnacles.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
And what's that other b/w agave doing in Floral? :D

It's quite an international crowd of photogs, though, so those (or some of those) might be people shooting on their home ground, like me going to Yosemite or Death Valley or Pinnacles.
Yes, and a lot of those in Architecture I would say were Abstract. And why didn’t you go to Yosemite or Death Valley or Pinnacles for your entries?:D

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
https://www.ippawards.com/2018-winning-photographers/

I didn't win. :lmao:

As usual, there are many superb images and, also as usual, a few that will leave you wondering what the judges were thinking. I managed to eke out a single HM in Nature for a b/w agave photo (which I'd entered in Abstract :confused:).
Congratulations Ted :thumbs:
Some amazing work in every section there, although I do agree with Jilly about the dark old bush :lol:
Much to take in and the standard is quite amazing and virtually all 'proper photography' as I like to think of it ;)
Are you allowed to edit on a pc/mac or does it all have to be iphone? If its all iphone I'd love to know what apps some of these people use !
Yes and being a world traveller seems to help, or a photo journalist already on location. I'm afraid looking at work like this makes me slightly despondent :(

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
and virtually all 'proper photography' as I like to think of it
Yes, I noticed that, too, and no "deformed female figures."

Are you allowed to edit on a pc/mac or does it all have to be iphone?
All iPhone or iPad. It's too bad they don't list people's editing apps -- I'd like to know, too. So many of those look like they must have started with really high quality original captures.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Yes, I noticed that, too, and no "deformed female figures."

All iPhone or iPad. It's too bad they don't list people's editing apps -- I'd like to know, too. So many of those look like they must have started with really high quality original captures.
I too would love to know how they got their original images. It should be possible for someone with the same iPhone to reproduce these high quality images, shouldn’t it?o_O

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
It should be possible for someone with the same iPhone to reproduce these high quality images, shouldn’t it?o_O
The winner of the portrait section took theirs on a 6plus, I do find that a bit unbelievable. If you can achieve that on a 6+ why have all you peeps got 7, 8 and X's :lol:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The winner of the portrait section took theirs on a 6plus, I do find that a bit unbelievable. If you can achieve that on a 6+ why have all you peeps got 7, 8 and X's :lol:
Indeed. That’s a good question. I just can’t believe it. Or, to clarify, I find it hard to believe that they haven’t used a desktop to edit. That’s not sour grapes, honest. It’s just that some of these images are better than you’d get from a DSLR. How can that be?

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Indeed. That’s a good question. I just can’t believe it. Or, to clarify, I find it hard to believe that they haven’t used a desktop to edit. That’s not sour grapes, honest. It’s just that some of these images are better than you’d get from a DSLR. How can that be?
I really don't know, I think we're missing something somewhere.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Now here's an interesting chain of events. I downloaded the 1st place Portrait photo to look at the EXIF data. It says that it was taken with an iPhone 6s, and while it's possible to forge EXIF data, I don't see any reason to doubt the camera after looking closely at the image. (I'm not all that crazy about the processing of the image, to be honest.) The EXIF data also shows that the image has had an encounter for Photoshop CC for MacOS. The odd thing about this is that I don't see anything in the image that could not have been done on an iPad with any of several apps. It could be that the photog used Photoshop to resize the image, and the judges allowed that, or the judges didn't check the EXIF data. Most likely, I think, is that the IPPA image wranglers themselves used Photoshop to resize images for display online.

For this particular image, in any case, I think it's the subject that makes the image, not the technical quality. I think there are a number of us who, if we had the good fortune to be placed in front of the guy with the goggles with a phone in our hands, could have produced an equally good image. But we weren't there.

Also, to Jilly's point about the images looking better than you'd get from a DSLR, I think that the nature of the competition negates some advantages of a DSLR. The display size for IPPA images is roughly 1000 x 1000 pixels, so the extra size and resolution of DSLR sensors doesn't provide as much advantage as it would if the images were, say, printed at 16x20 inches and hung in a gallery. And because it's an all-mobile competition, you simply don't see certain kinds of images that DSLRs are particularly good at -- close-up wildlife photos made with long lenses, creamy smooth 5 minute long exposures, very low light photos, and so on.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Most likely, I think, is that the IPPA image wranglers themselves used Photoshop to resize images for display online.
I checked two other first place winners in different categories, and both showed a tag from Photoshop CC Mac in their EXIF data, so I'm pretty sure that this is the correct answer: the IPPA used PS to resize images for posting.

Last edited:

dscheff

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I checked two other first place winners in different categories, and both showed a tag from Photoshop CC Mac in their EXIF data, so I'm pretty sure that this is the correct answer: the IPPA did used PS to resize images for posting.
I think we found last year the same Photoshop footprint, so I think its all above board there.
For me the jury is still out, a lot of those images just seem to good to be true. Maybe we should do a portraiture thread and see if we can equal the quality they have there.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Maybe we should do a portraiture thread and see if we can equal the quality they have there.
Good idea! That sounds like it'd be fun. Maybe we should take a vote (or just ask JillyG :D) to see which of the IPPA categories looks least likely to have been done on a mobile phone?

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Now here's an interesting chain of events. I downloaded the 1st place Portrait photo to look at the EXIF data. It says that it was taken with an iPhone 6s, and while it's possible to forge EXIF data, I don't see any reason to doubt the camera after looking closely at the image. (I'm not all that crazy about the processing of the image, to be honest.) The EXIF data also shows that the image has had an encounter for Photoshop CC for MacOS. The odd thing about this is that I don't see anything in the image that could not have been done on an iPad with any of several apps. It could be that the photog used Photoshop to resize the image, and the judges allowed that, or the judges didn't check the EXIF data. Most likely, I think, is that the IPPA image wranglers themselves used Photoshop to resize images for display online.

For this particular image, in any case, I think it's the subject that makes the image, not the technical quality. I think there are a number of us who, if we had the good fortune to be placed in front of the guy with the goggles with a phone in our hands, could have produced an equally good image. But we weren't there.

Also, to Jilly's point about the images looking better than you'd get from a DSLR, I think that the nature of the competition negates some advantages of a DSLR. The display size for IPPA images is roughly 1000 x 1000 pixels, so the extra size and resolution of DSLR sensors doesn't provide as much advantage as it would if the images were, say, printed at 16x20 inches and hung in a gallery. And because it's an all-mobile competition, you simply don't see certain kinds of images that DSLRs are particularly good at -- close-up wildlife photos made with long lenses, creamy smooth 5 minute long exposures, very low light photos, and so on.
Yes, you’re right Ted, there are no obvious DSLR stars in all of them. Would putting them through Photoshop on a desktop for display purposes improve the image much?

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Good idea! That sounds like it'd be fun. Maybe we should take a vote (or just ask JillyG :D) to see which of the IPPA categories looks least likely to have been done on a mobile phone?
:lol: There are images in each of the categories where I think “Hmmmmm”. And some of the categories seem superfluous - Lifestyle for instance. What’s that all about? But I think a portraiture thread would be marvellous. :thumbs: