• > Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and your MobiStaff... x x <

2018 iPhone Photography Awards winners

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I think there are a number of us who, if we had the good fortune to be placed in front of the guy with the goggles with a phone in our hands, could have produced an equally good image. But we weren't there.
YES.
I was just saying almost this exact thing to a friend today when we were talking about photography.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
:lol: There are images in each of the categories where I think “Hmmmmm”. And some of the categories seem superfluous - Lifestyle for instance. What’s that all about? But I think a portraiture thread would be marvellous. :thumbs:
I didn’t want to seem negative, because there are lots of wonderful photos, but I felt “meh” about many of the images... :feet:

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
:lol: There are images in each of the categories where I think “Hmmmmm”. And some of the categories seem superfluous - Lifestyle for instance. What’s that all about? But I think a portraiture thread would be marvellous. :thumbs:
I’m surprised there’s no macro section. More interesting than lifestyle.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I'm sorry to keep picking on this guy who won the portrait section, this is his IG https://www.instagram.com/scottawoodward/?hl=en
He's a pro photographer, as I imagine a lot of these winners are. This is why I think for a hobbyist like myself its totally pointless entering these competitions.
Also what an amazing achievement it is for Ted to get a mention :notworthy:

rizole

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
I'm sorry to keep picking on this guy who won the portrait section, this is his IG https://www.instagram.com/scottawoodward/?hl=en
He's a pro photographer, as I imagine a lot of these winners are. This is why I think for a hobbyist like myself its totally pointless entering these competitions.
I see his winning portrait only has 170 odd likes on instagram. It's more than I get but far fewer than if expect.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Yes, I agree. Can you imagine how many images these pros must have entered? It won’t have been just the one they won with. Let’s all bow down to Ted.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
No, you carry on picking on him John. As far as I know he’s not a member, so ....:lol:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Yes, that’s what I have always said. Exotic wins.

I should have entered my Namibia desert photo. I see there were two in HM from the place I went and not that impressive.
I recognised them too and thought they were so similar to last year’s Namib images. Yours were definitely much better imho.

lisamjw

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I wonder if RHKing Robert entered. The IPPAwards site seems to be having a bit of trouble at the mo, so I can’t check. I think it would have been in Series. I know he didn’t win as I can see the names, but not the images. And Catherine didn’t have any of hers chosen either? Then I am sticking to my statement that I will not enter this competition again. :mobibabe:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I wonder if RHKing Robert entered. The IPPAwards site seems to be having a bit of trouble at the mo, so I can’t check. I think it would have been in Series. I know he didn’t win as I can see the names, but not the images. And Catherine didn’t have any of hers chosen either? Then I am sticking to my statement that I will not enter this competition again. :mobibabe:
I looked through those last night and didn't recognise any of Robert's work. I have to say some of the 'series' images were pretty poor :eek:
I'm with you there Jilly, I'll NEVER enter the iphone awards :lmao:

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I see his winning portrait only has 170 odd likes on instagram. It's more than I get but far fewer than if expect.
Maybe because it's quite different from his usual clean color shots (which his followers would be expecting)? I don't really like the look of it myself, too grungy, but sometimes different stands out and wins.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I wonder if RHKing Robert entered.
I cruised through all the winners and HMs looking for familiar names and didn't see him. I agree with John about the Series selections -- most of them didn't impress. Seems to me a series ought to have some movement (at least metaphorically) or revelation that tells you more than a single image would.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Just because one does something professionally or for a living/gets paid for it, doesn’t mean they’re great at it, or are better than a “hobbyist”. His IG page is boring to me.

Edit: I scrolled a bit farther and saw some nice images, but they’re interspersed with many “meh” ones too.

Last edited:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
AGREE. Robert’s work is far and above better than a lot of the stuff that got in. I think this year will be the last one that I enter.... I can find better ways to spend my $$$. :mobibabe: