• > UPDATE < Thanks to all who've so far DONATED helping us update MobiTog, keep 'em coming please! AND A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog is open for business with some minor stuff on-going... :)

2018 Mobile Photography Awards announced

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
You can see the winners and HMs here: https://mobilephotoawards.com/8th-annual-mpa-winners/

Many splendid photos as usual, plus a few that will have you scratching your head, also as usual.

I found only one MobiTogger in the bunch (although I won't swear I didn't miss someone). In VisualFX, our zenjenny gets an Honorable Mention for her Psyche: Breath, Soul :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::cool::cool::cool: Go Jen!!

Last edited:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
You can see the winners and HMs here: https://mobilephotoawards.com/8th-annual-mpa-winners/

Many splendid photos as usual, plus a few that will have you scratching your head, also as usual.

I found only one MobiTogger in the bunch (although I won't swear I didn't miss someone). In VisualFX, our zenjenny gets a mention for her Psyche: Breath, Soul :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::cool::cool::cool: Go Jen!!

I can’t find anyone I recognise either. I am sure I saw that boy with the fish for an eye last year - I can’t remember what competition, but I definitely remember it. Again, there’s some lovely images of exotic places.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
There are so many amazing images... :notworthy: My only “critique”: I find it really annoying when one person gets several HMs. Unless there were not very many individuals submitting, I feel that the panel should choose one image from an individual for an HM, not 5, 6, 7....

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
There are so many amazing images... :notworthy: My only “critique”: I find it really annoying when one person gets several HMs. Unless there were not very many individuals submitting, I feel that the panel should choose one image from an individual for an HM, not 5, 6, 7....
I think you might be right - they’ve got a quota of HMs to fill and if only a handful of people have submitted lots of images for each category, then that explains the numbers.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I feel that the panel should choose one image from an individual for an HM, not 5, 6, 7....
The judging is anonymous, according to them: "Once the submission period closes, the jury will review all entries anonymously (without entrants’ names), and as a group they will select the winning images." So they wouldn't know how many they'd selected from a particular person until the decisions had all been made.

If the idea is to choose the best images rather than best photographers, I'm OK with someone getting multiple wins/mentions. But I know what you mean about seeing the same person's name over and over, so perhaps they should have a limit on the number of entries per person. (And if someone gets half a dozen HMs, I'd love to know whether they entered 6 or 8 or 24 or....)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
so perhaps they should have a limit on the number of entries per person. (And if someone gets half a dozen HMs, I'd love to know whether they entered 6 or 8 or 24 or....)
Yes... good point.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus

I found only one MobiTogger in the bunch (although I won't swear I didn't miss someone). In VisualFX, our zenjenny gets an Honorable Mention for her Psyche: Breath, Soul :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::cool::cool::cool: Go Jen!!

Thank you, Ted, all :inlove: :notworthy: :) Very happy to get an HM for this image of grandbaby #2 jumping off a barrel :lmao:

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I think you might be right - they’ve got a quota of HMs to fill and if only a handful of people have submitted lots of images for each category, then that explains the numbers.
:(

The judging is anonymous, according to them: "Once the submission period closes, the jury will review all entries anonymously (without entrants’ names), and as a group they will select the winning images." So they wouldn't know how many they'd selected from a particular person until the decisions had all been made.

If the idea is to choose the best images rather than best photographers, I'm OK with someone getting multiple wins/mentions. But I know what you mean about seeing the same person's name over and over, so perhaps they should have a limit on the number of entries per person. (And if someone gets half a dozen HMs, I'd love to know whether they entered 6 or 8 or 24 or....)
This got me wondering how many entries there were. Unfortunately my Google searches (variations of ‘number of images submitted in this year’s MPA’ ) didn’t come up with anything. Any more creative google searchers with ideas?

I did, however, discover that Huawei has been running a yearly photo comp with prizes !! And one of the architecture winners in MPA also won a prize in the Huawei comp. And I found a list of comps y’all probably know, not all mobile of course, but I was surprised at the number. And some of them have decent prize budgets :D

Last edited:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
:(

This got me wondering how many entries there were. Unfortunately my Google searches (variations of ‘number of images submitted in this year’s MPA’ ) didn’t come up with anything. Any more creative google searchers with ideas?

I did p, however, discover that Huawei has been running a yearly photo comp with prizes !! And one of the architecture winners in MPA also won a prize in the Huawei comp. And I found a list of comps y’all probably know, not all mobile of course, but I was surprised at the number. And some of them have decent prize budgets :D
I thought that there’s usually a stipulation that submitted images haven’t been in any other competition.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
The results are fairly predictable, the more exotic places you can shoot the more chance of being placed.
Helps if you are 'known' as well.
I'd love to know a bit more about the winners device of choice, editing etc, we don't really seem to be able to learn anything from these competitions. I suspect a lot of the entries come from pro photographers who use their iphones etc. as a back up.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
The results are fairly predictable, the more exotic places you can shoot the more chance of being placed.
Helps if you are 'known' as well.
I'd love to know a bit more about the winners device of choice, editing etc, we don't really seem to be able to learn anything from these competitions. I suspect a lot of the entries come from pro photographers who use their iphones etc. as a back up.

Re ‘exotic’, yes — that seems to be an abiding theme.... And since you first mentioned deformed female figures I see them everywhere — I think about 75% of the abstract-ish entries would come under that heading. (Nobody better call my grandbaby a ‘DFF’ :mobibabe:)

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
And while I'm being critical, Fall Into Pieces in the Visual FX catagory, took me 30 seconds to replicate in picsart. Admittedly I took less time over make up and background but still...
View attachment 120436
Hm. I find this work both menacing and playful: the metaphorical resonance of the figurative-narrative line-space matrix insists, within the realm of discourse, a triangular participation in the critical dialogue of the 90s.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel