• MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you've been notified! > For Terms & Rules Click Here <
  • Ynot consider a regular monthly Donation? It's now doable under the Donate tab! (A Donation of just £1/$1 per month will help cover our costs & assist with updates & improvements) HUGE THANKS to all our generous MobiSupporters!
  • NEW MEMBER NOTICE - Need assistance finding your way around Mobitog? > CLICK HERE FOR HELP SECTION <

2019 Mobile Photography Awards results

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Most of them, anyway. They haven't announced the grand prize or series winners yet. See the category winners and HMs here:

I didn't see anything from anyone here, including me (washed out again!), but there are many photos well worth looking at all the same, and the contest is open to Android as well as iOS (unlike the IPPA).

PS - It can take a bit for the pages to load sometimes. Be patient.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Most of them, anyway. They haven't announced the grand prize or series winners yet. See the category winners and HMs here:

I didn't see anything from anyone here, including me (washed out again!), but there are many photos well worth looking at all the same, and the contest is open to Android as well as iOS (unlike the IPPA).

PS - It can take a bit for the pages to load sometimes. Be patient.
The Architecture section is pretty amazing, as ever. The b/w's are a bit hit and miss.

Actually looking through these categories depresses me a little, the standards are through the roof.

And..........why is there ALWAYS a kid with a fish :lol:

Last edited:

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
There are some quite good shots in the contest. What I personally like best is the category 'landscapes' and 'photo journalism' - those are the most purest in IMO.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
There are some quite good shots in the contest. What I personally like best is the category 'landscapes' and 'photo journalism' - those are the most purest in IMO.
Yes two of my fave categories, I've a soft spot for 'street' too. I repeat myself every year but what annoys me most is there is no background info on these images, what device, what app, how is it edited. Its all a mystery and again repeating myself, location is king in a lot of these images.

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Yes two of my fave categories, I've a soft spot for 'street' too. I repeat myself every year but what annoys me most is there is no background info on these images, what device, what app, how is it edited. Its all a mystery and again repeating myself, location is king in a lot of these images.
I like the more natural shot which happened because the photographer had an open eye and spotted a magic moment. And of course the exotic shots - they always win.
I once had a discussion at 1x.com because I was bored about seeing all those exotic animals, people and so on. Why not go for the local stuff? There's plenty to see and discover.
Maybe that's why I'm more into the photo journalism category.

And I'm totally with you about the the background. I would like to know how the shot happened and what was used for it.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Yes, I'd like to know how and with what also. As we found out before, you can find a little info by downloading a photo and checking its EXIF data, but that's a lot of work.

There are plenty of exotic shots in Landscapes, but I see at least a couple that I could conceivably have made around here.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
There photos are amazing but we have better ones in our gallery!
Maybe some. But one thing I think the winners and HMs at MPA have in common is polish. I don't mean they're artificial looking or overedited, but -- content aside -- they all look finished. Horizons and perspective lines are straight (unless they're intentionally meant not to me), no distracting bits poke in at the edges, tips of things aren't cut off by the frame, images aren't noisy or grainy (unless they're supposed to be) or banded, and so on.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Maybe some. But one thing I think the winners and HMs at MPA have in common is polish. I don't mean they're artificial looking or overedited, but -- content aside -- they all look finished. Horizons and perspective lines are straight (unless they're intentionally meant not to me), no distracting bits poke in at the edges, tips of things aren't cut off by the frame, images aren't noisy or grainy (unless they're supposed to be) or banded, and so on.
Agreed, its a pretty high standard not many of us on Mobitog (definitely not me) are at.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Agreed, its a pretty high standard not many of us on Mobitog (definitely not me) are at.
I've been musing about this a bit over my coffee (it being still before noon here). The environment is different here also, and we all show images we know are flawed or could be better because they're still interesting and because it's what we're doing now. Just yesterday I was reading a blog post by David DuChemin, and he mentioned coming back from some time in East Africa with 18,000 photos. And from that he ended up with 40 keepers (a 450:1 ratio). I don't think that means the other 17,960 were rubbish; I think it means he's ruthlessly discarding pretty good photos, even ones that are 99.9% of the way there. I don't mean that's what we should be doing here -- I'd have nothing to post at all :lmao: -- but it's worth remembering if you're going to enter a contest.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I've been musing about this a bit over my coffee (it being still before noon here). The environment is different here also, and we all show images we know are flawed or could be better because they're still interesting and because it's what we're doing now. Just yesterday I was reading a blog post by David DuChemin, and he mentioned coming back from some time in East Africa with 18,000 photos. And from that he ended up with 40 keepers (a 450:1 ratio). I don't think that means the other 17,960 were rubbish; I think it means he's ruthlessly discarding pretty good photos, even ones that are 99.9% of the way there. I don't mean that's what we should be doing here -- I'd have nothing to post at all :lmao: -- but it's worth remembering if you're going to enter a contest.
Exactly, that's why I never enter these type on contests, esp the pay ones. A lot of these people are pro photographers anyway that just carry a mobile with them.

Back on the subject of editing, if you have an Adobe subscription I assume you can switch from phone to desktop and back again via the cloud. Meaning you could do all your editing on a big screen and then grab the image back on a mobile. Which is kind of a grey area I assume for 'taken and edited on a mobile' which I assume this competition states.

Whatever it is they are doing they all get the 'polished' look from somewhere !!

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Exactly, that's why I never enter these type on contests, esp the pay ones. A lot of these people are pro photographers anyway that just carry a mobile with them.
I bet on this! Some of those images are definitely set up before the shot happened - it like it more natural. But nobody forbids this kind of shots.
So it's a matter of taste. But if all have the same taste? ;)

Back on the subject of editing, if you have an Adobe subscription I assume you can switch from phone to desktop and back again via the cloud. Meaning you could do all your editing on a big screen and then grab the image back on a mobile. Which is kind of a grey area I assume for 'taken and edited on a mobile' which I assume this competition states.

Whatever it is they are doing they all get the 'polished' look from somewhere !!
Well, I think this kind of editing needs at least a tab. On a phone it's hard to grab all those ugly spots and do a proper polishing. And to my opinion too many of those pictures have this look.

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
terse I like David DuChemin a lot. I learned at lot of his books and posts, because he's talking about photography and not technology. This is what matters IMO.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
terse I like David DuChemin a lot. I learned at lot of his books and posts, because he's talking about photography and not technology. This is what matters IMO.
Yes, that's true. He gets a little too motivational-speaker-ish for me now and then, but his ideas are on the money, I think, and blessedly free of gear talk. Michael Freeman is another who focuses on photography and even revised some of his earlier books to remove gear references. Both of them talk about things that apply no matter what camera you're using.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
And of course the exotic shots - they always win.
I once had a discussion at 1x.com because I was bored about seeing all those exotic animals, people and so on. Why not go for the local stuff? There's plenty to see and discover.
Maybe that's why I'm more into the photo journalism category.

And I'm totally with you about the the background. I would like to know how the shot happened and what was used for it.
Agree. There were 5 shots of the Namibia Sossusvlei red sand dunes. Believe me, every shot you take there is amazing and everybody has them. :sleep:

Yes, the photos are polished but again, like you say, it feels too contrived.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
l’m just doing it for fun and a lot of the time I’m travelling or walking with someone else and you can seriously annoy people if you spend time trying to get the perfect shot by taking hundreds of pics. Dedication to photography is solitary and I’m seldom on my own in really photographic situations. Even though my DH loves taking pics, we take completely different shots. He’s never used a tripod in his life and its all about recording the scenery rather than the perfect shot or an arty angle. I continually find myself running up the beach to catch up with him after taking a photo of a piece of seaweed and it gets a bit wearing after a while. I, in turn, get impatient when he takes 50 shots of a kangeroo which is too far away to be of any use on an iPhone.

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
ImageArt Ann, I'm totally with you! Same for me. The rest of my family would kick my butt if they would have to wait for me all the time taking the perfect shot. :lmao:
So most of the time my shots are on the go. So I have to improve skills to be a one time super-duper shooter! :whistle:

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
did anyone else enter ?

Also, what you said about ‘polish’ below? How would you rate your egrets? Seriously. Of course I think they should have won at least two categories, and I think they’re *polished*. But are you saying there’s a whole ‘nother layer of polish that your images/most images don't reach?

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Also, what you said about ‘polish’ below? How would you rate your egrets? Seriously.
Seriously, I'm pleased with them, but I don't think they quite measure up to what you need in a competition. They're a little soft, a little noisy, don't have the best background. Most of the ones I like best were shot in a rush, when the egret(s) suddenly decided to take flight, and I had to put in some work in editing to clean them up. They look good at a normal viewing distance, but I think if you look at them closely and critically (as a judge who's looking at dozens of superb photos has to do), they lack the final touch of magic.

(I think some of them look better when printed on a textured art paper than they do on a screen.)

EDIT: I also don't think a competition is the best way to judge the success of your own images. I enter because it's fun to get a little recognition now and then but also because it forces me to select a half dozen or so from my thousands of photos, work on them, and finally say "It's finished. That's the best I can do right now." Without that external constraint that a competition provides, I can end up fiddling with an image forever, breeding variants like flies.

Last edited: