2nd day of Olloclip practice

docsimsim

MobiLurver
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1383498106.172389.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1383498149.925066.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1383498187.051957.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1383498222.156392.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1383498250.490520.jpg

Tiny yellow flowers (not sure what they're called) and buds. Snapped on naked camera, ProCamera or VividHDR and no editing. Comments appreciated

I like these - they aren't overly fussy, the color is lovely, and they aren't apped in a way that draws attention to the app instead of the art. I think a couple could be more closely cropped. If these are a second attempt with the macro, it's obviously something that has your name written all over it! Go forth and do more of these. :)

@docsimsim - these are beautifully done Simin... :notworthy:

The light is gorgeous and the colours rich and vibrant!... :D

It is great to see you experimenting with different subjects too, practice is certainly starting to pay off... :rog:

I like these - they aren't overly fussy, the color is lovely, and they aren't apped in a way that draws attention to the app instead of the art. I think a couple could be more closely cropped. If these are a second attempt with the macro, it's obviously something that has your name written all over it! Go forth and do more of these. :)
Tx a lot Diana, much appreciated. Yes they could do with cropping maybe to make them more square than rectangular? I think maybe most macro shots really don't need any processing other than cropping.

@docsimsim - these are beautifully done Simin... :notworthy:

The light is gorgeous and the colours rich and vibrant!... :D

It is great to see you experimenting with different subjects too, practice is certainly starting to pay off... :rog:
Thanx Rog. I think what helped was using ProCamera which has ISO readings. I could gauge which way to move the phone to get the lowest ISO and also set the white balance lock to get more vivid colours. Also I think I actually moved the phone a tiny bit further away from the subject than my first day with Olloclip so maybe that helped?

Tx a lot Diana, much appreciated. Yes they could do with cropping maybe to make them more square than rectangular? I think maybe most macro shots really don't need any processing other than cropping.
I don't know that the square vs. rectangular is the question...that really seems to be what fits for the image best, IMO. But I was meaning more
what is included, where the edges are. What can be cut out, as it leads the eye out of the image and off the page, what draws your eye when it is not the main subject so it distracts (like, for example the pink fabric. The way our eyes see, we already perceive weight at the bottom of an image. Like why when we frame we put more edge on the bottom, because otherwise we perceive it as unbalanced even if it is perfectly centered in the mat. So the way that edge is, it draws our eye down to the edge, but the edge of the fabric is not what you are trying to show us in that image, so it is gaining more importance than it needs.)

I had a quick look on the net.

image.jpg

The pods on these look similar and these are tiny flowers
Called Fragrant Freesia. Will show to Karen and the gal next door, they might know.

I don't know that the square vs. rectangular is the question...that really seems to be what fits for the image best, IMO. But I was meaning more
what is included, where the edges are. What can be cut out, as it leads the eye out of the image and off the page, what draws your eye when it is not the main subject so it distracts (like, for example the pink fabric. The way our eyes see, we already perceive weight at the bottom of an image. Like why when we frame we put more edge on the bottom, because otherwise we perceive it as unbalanced even if it is perfectly centered in the mat. So the way that edge is, it draws our eye down to the edge, but the edge of the fabric is not what you are trying to show us in that image, so it is gaining more importance than it needs.)
Yep, totally agree. It's very tricky to apply the rule of thirds etc to macro. But as you say the fabric isn't the subject, even though it's actually partly in perfect focus (as macro has narrow focus field) I've done a crop cutting as much of it away as possible without chopping off any of the bottom right flower. Here it is. PS should the important bit of a macro image always be at the bottom part of the photo?
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1383509575.985213.jpg

Last edited:
I had a quick look on the net.

View attachment 45321
The pods on these look similar and these are tiny flowers
Called Fragrant Freesia. Will show to Karen and the gal next door, they might know.
Thanx for speedy response. Yes they look very similar,though the leaves in your photo are more triangular. I'm terrible at recognising flowers. Only know roses and lilies lol

Yep, totally agree. It's very tricky to apply the rule of thirds etc to macro. But as you say the fabric isn't the subject, even though it's actually partly in perfect focus (as macro has narrow focus field) I've done a crop cutting as much of it away as possible without chopping off any if the bottom flower. Here it is. PS should the important bit of a macro image always be at the bottom part of the photo? View attachment 45322
I must not have said that very well. The important part is what you want us to focus on, rather than something else that happens to get in there and draw our attention to it inadvertently, taking our eye away from what you want us to be seeing.

I must not have said that very well. The important part is what you want us to focus on, rather than something else that happens to get in there and draw our attention to it inadvertently, taking our eye away from what you want us to be seeing.
Yes I agree, good point. Think in these pix it's a bit hard to have a focus of attention as too many similar but not symmetrical parts. There's no centre, as there tends to be with a lot of macro shots

Back
Top Bottom