APPstract RESULT: 2WEEKLY APPSTRACT #15 8 June

Entirely Enlight

View attachment 146414
I still use Enlight. Only yesterday I was messing about putting a rainbow in a photo using Enlight. This is a little model caravan that Rog bought for me from Norfolk. He’s put little lights inside. Photographed just now and apped as instructed.

That’s so quaint! Can we see the unedited caravan? (And what John said re ad infinitum)

PS: it was John said he was all for the quick one app edit (hence my challenge) - but I’m glad you stepped up. Especially since Tinkerbell over there seems reluctant allofasudden :whistle:

That’s so quaint! Can we see the unedited caravan? (And what John said re ad infinitum)

PS: it was John said he was all for the quick one app edit (hence my challenge) - but I’m glad you stepped up. Especially since Tinkerbell over there seems reluctant allofasudden :whistle:
Yes, here it is:
5CD85289-35D4-4E9A-88FC-42AD7DCEB8C8.jpeg

I went trolling through my Photos roll and found some things I forgot I’d done.
Starry Night I
iColorama, SuperimposeX, AlienSky
View attachment 146354

Starry Night II
MRRW, LoryStripes, iColorama
View attachment 146355
Just for a moment, as I scrolled through, this looked to me like the head, shoulders and part of the back of a man. Nurse! My medications wearing off!:confused:

I think terse and deepop use it a bit....

I don’t think so (more apps::more kudos). I don’t think abstracting necessarily takes dozens of apps, either - depends what you want to do. Also I think as art/editing apps get more sophisticated a lot of digital [abstract] artists are likely to prefer a few trusted, high quality multi-function apps over the myriad of single function apps we had five or six years ago. iColorama comes to mind, of course.

I’d be interested to hear what ImageArt JillyG juryjone Starzee RoseCat Glenton and other people who have been app-stracting for years think . . . ?

Using more than one app is certainly not necessary, but it can be easier. I’ve developed a lot of workarounds in iColorama over the years, but apps like the Pixite apps (including the let’s say very specialized LoryStripes) give me looks quickly that it might take a long time to develop otherwise. Decim8 and FotoDa are glitching and blending apps that quickly produce effects I can reproduce elsewhere also.

Okay, you all heard him!
Take a photo of something close by. One app (Plus Union, of course, if you want to layer :alien:). Fifteen minutes. Go :thumbs:
I never take more than 15 minutes on an appstract, no matter how many apps I use. This took about 5 minutes in iColorama.
5C25534B-8BB7-4710-BBD3-ECFFD826032F.jpeg

Using more than one app is certainly not necessary, but it can be easier. I’ve developed a lot of workarounds in iColorama over the years, but apps like the Pixite apps (including the let’s say very specialized LoryStripes) give me looks quickly that it might take a long time to develop otherwise. Decim8 and FotoDa are glitching and blending apps that quickly produce effects I can reproduce elsewhere also.

I never take more than 15 minutes on an appstract, no matter how many apps I use. This took about 5 minutes in iColorama. View attachment 146418

Wow, now that’s interesting to know. :thumbs:

The other-worldly world of Jen’s work bag OR The Dentist is Running Late
View attachment 146411

Challenge: in 15 mins, using one app, create an abstract from a photograph of nothing in particular. Image of work bag with the Enlight camera, filter, glitche-ing and paint in Enlight, layered in Union. I saw a figure in the dentist’ chair, and started getting a bit complicated (‘I’ll glitch in the dentist! and the nurse! and the equipment tray! and the window! ...’) before I realised I was probably having a minor panic attack, and settled for my little cave painting.

I like Enlight. I can’t recall if anyone here went the subscription route with Photofox ? And if you did, what you think?

View attachment 146412
This was done before or after the nitrous oxide administration?

I like Enlight. I can’t recall if anyone here went the subscription route with Photofox ?
Enlight used to be my go to editing app, and I still use it for certain looks. It has a fantastic masking tool (one of the best in my opinion). Initially it had things like curves and gamma adjustment which other didn't have at the time, but now many do. I certainly don't like it enough to pay a subscription for Photofox. I like apps that are extensions in Photos so I can edit a photo without leaving the Photos app. (My current favorite is Darkroom.)

I looked at Pixlr earlier actually. It seems to be just filters and adjustments, nothing very sophisticated. In some respects Prisma is better.
I think Pixlr was your first (or close to) TWAC. I remember surprise and some awe at the results some people came up with — and appreciation of how good Pixlr was for a (then) completely free app. Paint/mask fx and a couple of sliders expand your options logarithmically- perhaps not discoverable in fifteen minutes (at least until you start knowing what you can do).

That’s one of the reasons TWAC is such a good challenge - it’s a great platform for showing off what an app can do, and it also demonstrates how, even with pervasive culture of ‘pre-set’ in the digital world, artists are artists, and are always going to make their own mark/s.

That’s one of the reasons TWAC is such a good challenge
Shame we ran out of cross platform apps though. I'm happy for someone else to run with it for ios only if they like.
Pixlr I dunno, I'd have to go back to the TWAC to find out what people did with it, it doesn't seem that special to me now.

Anyway, getting back to the theme.
Amateur hour over :lol:

I never take more than 15 minutes on an appstract, no matter how many apps I use. This took about 5 minutes in iColorama. View attachment 146418
My mouth is agape in astonishment. I spend hours...........

My mouth is agape in astonishment. I spend hours...........
Yes, my mouth did that too! -> :eek:

My appstracts are where I feel my way through. Knowing the capabilities of different apps and how they help me achieve a look is how I can work so rapidly, feeling my way through. I took an image of some knickknacks my wife has out. I did some initial toning in iColorama.

C307F316-CE67-4604-8B26-3574530BC19C.jpeg

How do I “abstract” it now? Well, Form>Deforms has a number of presets that warp the image.

6C51801E-3C5C-4CF4-B37D-5F330AE6EDE2.jpeg

Still too regular. I like to use Sort to smear an image. When I first apply Sort, it’s still too busy. I know that Blur will result in a smoother smear in Sort, so I apply Blur, but I Mask it out in one stroke towards the bottom. Then, when I aaply Sort to the whole image, i’ve Got a good smear across the whole image, except for the unblurred stroke.

265BC687-C440-4AB6-B7D1-51E207283AE5.jpeg

From there it’s just a matter of cropping and adding some texture. It’s taken me longer to write about it than to feel my way through it.

Back
Top Bottom