APPstract RESULT: 2Weekly APPstract #16 Jun 21-July 5

Flowers and old Machines

View attachment 146616

zenjenny I still have a bunch of dabbles. I sometimes miss that app.
That’s an opposite I would not have thought of :thumbs:
I miss the principle (if that’s the right word) of Dubble, though I don’t miss the piles of rubble one had to sift through to find the occasional gem. I wonder what difference it would have made if Adam Scott had gotten help with the hands-on, day to day management of the membership side of the app.

Have you tried FotoDa? OnLy your own photos, not unlike Diana.... I’ve been experimenting with addLib S and FotoDa for collage fragments. (In between grumbling about how hard could it be for someone else to produce a Dubble-type app :appsir:)

As per suggestion.... JillyG
0A84344F-F2BD-4041-BB12-BB3431D9DF21.jpeg

Pixlr for a polaroid-esque frame, Affinity > Filters and then Median Blur (I think) for the blur. I really like any of those blurs in Affinity. Pixelmator for the twirls (which I could have done in Affinity I now realise).

Edit: No, it was Affinity>Filters>Dust & Scratches ramped up to the max and that gives that watery blur.

I haven’t opened Affinity :oops:
There have been a few apparently good editing apps over the years that I’ve just parked in a folder for ‘when I finish x’ or ‘when I go on this break’ or whatever. Sigh.

View attachment 146498

FotoDa and adLibS with some old Dubbles. I think one of the images came from our Larry the First Lzed who used to post quite a bit on Dubble - I have about a hundred accidental Jen/Larry collaborations :)
You’d count the orange and the grey as two colours? And the black and the white as non-colours? (Please excuse my ignorance :D )

View attachment 146678

AutoCollage - fragments of one image. I did some as diptychs in ‘insta-collage’ :barf: because LiPix is no longer in the App Store :( and bloody insta-collage said it was saving but it didn’t. Back to AutoCollage I go.
Nice abstract piece.

(three words I never thought I'd utter in one small sentence)

Depends on who you talk to. :lmao: I'd count black and white as extreme shades of gray.
This topic has piqued my curiosity about what things are really opposite as opposed to just fairly far apart on a continuum. Does a continuum really have finite limits or does it go on forever?

A lot of things we accept in everyday life as opposites are just relative differences of the same thing. Comparing a skyscraper to an outhouse you could say tall and short are variations of height. Big and small -variations in size. Or black and white are just variations in brightness. You have to go beyond the visible spectrum to get to a greater degree of difference. And even then they are just longer or shorter wavelengths of energy. Hot and cold is just relatively warmer or cooler. Unless you’re talking about absolute zero. Good and bad are shades of goodness, or badness.

And what does it say about right and left when both sides move to the right such that what used to be left is now right and the right is far right?

Alive and dead seem like a different order of things. You could be vigorous or barely alive but you can’t be a little bit dead. There is possessing the life force and not. That’s a line that’s difficult to blur or expand into a continuum.

Extend that to things that can possess the life force and things that cannot. As far as we know rocks do not possess a life force, even in the slow motion of time. While a tree can be alive or dead.

Forward and backward directions of travel seem to be true opposites, unless after travelling throughout time and space you end up coming around to the same place. It doesn’t matter how fast you are travelling but the direction is opposite. I guess that has to include travelling up or down. You might have to narrow down the directions as being pure vectors at 180°, with a defined zero point.

Positive and negative charges or numbers have 0 as a defining crossover axis. The relative distance away from zero can be greater or smaller but zero is a solid barrier.

I wonder what other examples there are of true opposites.

Last edited:
Took a while and I still could go on transforming, but I’m now at a point I really like it:

Hausse & Baise (also known as Bull & Bear)

7AED7FCC-F7B6-4599-BD9B-9FC480CA2115.png

Started with a scribble with ballpoint pen on paper, Adobe Capture, Vectornator (all the drawing and I coloured it in complimentary orange and blue), BeCasso, Pastello – and then I had to reduce the size to 50% to get it uploaded (BigPhoto). o_O:zip::confused:

Last edited:
This topic has piqued my curiosity about what things are really opposite as opposed to just fairly far apart on a continuum. Does a continuum really have finite limits or does it go on forever?

A lot of things we accept in everyday life as opposites are just relative differences of the same thing. Comparing a skyscraper to an outhouse you could say tall and short are variations of height. Big and small -variations in size. Or black and white are just variations in brightness. You have to go beyond the visible spectrum to get to a greater degree of difference. And even then they are just longer or shorter wavelengths of energy. Hot and cold is just relatively warmer or cooler. Unless you’re talking about absolute zero. Good and bad are shades of goodness, or badness.

And what does it say about right and left when both sides move to the right such that what used to be left is now right and the right is far right?

Alive and dead seem like a different order of things. You could be vigorous or barely alive but you can’t be a little bit dead. There is possessing the life force and not. That’s a line that’s difficult to blur or expand into a continuum.

Extend that to things that can possess the life force and things that cannot. As far as we know rocks do not possess a life force, even in the slow motion of time. While a tree can be alive or dead.

Forward and backward directions of travel seem to be true opposites, unless after travelling throughout time and space you end up coming around to the same place. It doesn’t matter how fast you are travelling but the direction is opposite. I guess that has to include travelling up or down. You might have to narrow down the directions as being pure vectors at 180°, with a defined zero point.

Positive and negative charges or numbers have 0 as a defining crossover axis. The relative distance away from zero can be greater or smaller but zero is a solid barrier.

I wonder what other examples there are of true opposites.
o_O:)

Took a while and I still could go on transforming, but I’m now at a point I really like it:

View attachment 146856

Started with a scribble with ballpoint pen on paper, Adobe Capture, Vectornator (all the drawing and I coloured it in complimentary orange and blue), BeCasso, Pastello – and then I had to reduce the size to 50% to get it uploaded (BigPhoto). o_O:zip::confused:
What an artist you are! Wonderful.

View attachment 146856

You’re so talented, Gouvy :notworthy:

Maybe ‘a little bit dead’ and ‘barely alive’ are the same thing in some linguistic categories. (How many words do the Inuit have for ‘dead’?)

Have you ever tried magic mushrooms?

As far as we know rocks do not possess a life force, even in the slow motion of time.

*The sound of the New Age movement grinding to a halt*

View attachment 146856

This is beautiful... :notworthy: :inlove:

Back
Top Bottom