APPstract RESULT: 2Weekly APPstract Challenge #13

Then I thought.... maybe just a simple crop will give it more of an abstract feel.

View attachment 145211

Great starting image. For the theme, I like this version best bcs the stark black makes the posterised bits stand out — and shows off the bits of light and line you’ve left in. Limited palette works for me, too.

The Three Graces

27A7F495-078C-40D7-A92F-264164BB00B7.jpeg

Sketch-something, Union Repix Snapseed.

Well, he looks like a Klingon with all of that forehead stuff going on, but, knowing you, it’s someone from GoT! :rolleyes:
Correct erm GoT not Klingon :lol: His head was burnt by his brother to teach him a lesson, there's a lot of stuff like that in GoT !

Correct erm GoT not Klingon :lol: His head was burnt by his brother to teach him a lesson, there's a lot of stuff like that in GoT !
Well, if he ever comes across a Klingon in GoT (I don’t know if I’m mixing my metaphors here because I’ve never seen GoT), he could pretend he’s one and he’ll be safe (they’re very aggressive - Klingons).

97A427F7-2877-4FD8-AA23-F55391D84009.jpeg

I don’t get the comic/posterised arm of abstracting. I’m learning something here from seeing what seems to work and what doesn’t, but I’m a bit lost when it comes to choosing images that will work well with this kind of processing. But hey, I’m willing to make myself look silly in the name of art :D So this one is the late beloved Miss Missy, companion to our RoseCat. If anyone can remember the name of the app I’d be most appreciative. I like what it does, but it has a very limited repertoire.

View attachment 145285

I don’t get the comic/posterised arm of abstracting. I’m learning something here from seeing what seems to work and what doesn’t, but I’m a bit lost when it comes to choosing images that will work well with this kind of processing. But hey, I’m willing to make myself look silly in the name of art :D So this one is the late beloved Miss Missy, companion to our RoseCat. If anyone can remember the name of the app I’d be most appreciative. I like what it does, but it has a very limited repertoire.
Awwww.... :inlove::inlove::inlove:
She looks a bit like Native American art/Totem art... I think it’s cool!
The app is addLib S. I haven’t used it in awhile

I'm sticking my nose in here where its (probably) not wanted but imho I don't see comic/posterized as being abstract at all. Just another edit for a 'straight' image. Maybe Ann chose it as a challenge to see what the abstract aficionado's could do with it?

Your nose is always welcome, John. Also your thoughts & opinions on things artistic.

I must admit, I’ve never quite nailed down an understanding of your definition of ‘abstract’. Or how you decide what is and what isn’t. With posterising, is it ‘not abstract’ because the image is just a bit simplified? The lines /details smoothed out? (Is that what you mean by ‘just another edit for a straight image’?)

ImageArt Ann your thoughts?

zenjenny I must admit, I’ve never quite nailed down an understanding of your definition of ‘abstract’.

See new thread :thumbs:

That would be because you’ve never asked :mobibabe:

I have hosted a couple of challenges here in which I have offered working definitions of ‘abstract’ (usually the nice pithy one from the Tate). Other than that (surprising in some ways because with other things I can get tangled up trying to nail down definitions) I’m quite happy with my understanding of ‘abstract as opposed to literal’.

So, about posterising...? Do you know what it is that makes that kind of editing ‘not abstract’ for you? (Applying my own simple binary, maybe the posterised version isn’t too far removed from ‘literal’ representation?)

Back
Top Bottom