APPstract RESULT: 2Weekly APPstract Challenge #9 Abstract Your Way

I don’t know how you get such a lovely image from Microsoft Pix (even with help from iC). I downloaded it and I don’t like any of the presets AND the Microsoft Pix logo features on every image!!:(
There’s another app that makes bold brushstrokes like this - PaintCan. Unfortunately it is a bit less than full resolution but if they are just going to be mixed in a layered project it should be OK. Typically 1983 x 2643. They start out with a white border which you can crop out later.

When you first import a picture to it it defaults to the Light Fill brush but if you select Splat it make large and quite varied strokes. Just pick a picture with the colours you want and splat away. It works better on pictures that don’t have large single colour areas, like open sky.
13E9D679-33D8-4759-A6AE-06E679F96404.jpeg

A blending of a couple of Splat images.

Edit: I just added PaintCan to my iPad Pro and it has many more controls than the iPhone version, still not full resolution, though.

Last edited:
There’s another app that makes bold brushstrokes like this - PaintCan. Unfortunately it is a bit less than full resolution but if they are just going to be mixed in a layered project it should be OK. Typically 1983 x 2643. They start out with a white border which you can crop out later.

When you first import a picture to it it defaults to the Light Fill brush but if you select Splat it make large and quite varied strokes. Just pick a picture with the colours you want and splat away. It works better on pictures that don’t have large single colour areas, like open sky.
View attachment 122397

Edit: I just added PaintCan to my iPad Pro and it has many more controls than the iPhone version, still not full resolution, though.
I love the idea of Splat. :lol:

In the iPad version of PaintCan you can shut off the white border. The resolution is only 2048 x 1522, though. This is typical of Adobe to restrict their iOS apps in some way, forever encouraging you back to the desktop environment.
2624C9B7-18FC-4F50-AE8D-31E0A4E0E473.jpeg

This PaintCan version was added on top of a Procreate project of the same image.

The same picture from Oilist.
30BB4231-33AE-46B1-AE1C-202EE77C82DB.jpeg

Considering the degree of abstraction in most other images this round I wasn’t sure if this was abstract enough.

View attachment 122397

Itcan make a nice layer to blend the original back on to, as well :thumbs:

And I can’t straighten the crop because both my devices are damaged. Long story and I’m not happy. I just wrote a whole email with no functioning space bar :alien:

Two views. Taking flight. I was wishing I had a bird in a similar pose to layer in with this, but I don’t, so I didn’t. Maybe a feather?
22C331EC-9AFF-4DA8-9574-838F2B462F39.jpeg

D9B7DCDA-7A8B-4C34-B12A-3798214AF35C.jpeg

The original photo was made in aremaC and it was already somewhat obscure. These two were made in Painnt. The object is a crumpled up empty potato chip bag on the road.

Yep, in an almost continuous three hour flow. I’ll refrain from posting the 137 image evidence package here :lol:
I’m sure every one of those 137 images would be very instructive. Actually, 3 hours sounds like pretty fast work. I have spent easily that much time and didn’t have anything to show for it.

View attachment 122428
Made with vaporcam and image glitcher.

That’s four cameras I haven’t heard of in one thread.or maybe one week. Huji kuji and fuji cams- and now vaporcam. I had a look on the App Store - chinese app? Subscription?

Anyway nice looking collage!
What was your raw image here? (i will go look again at image glitcher too :))

That’s four cameras I haven’t heard of in one thread.or maybe one week. Huji kuji and fuji cams- and now vaporcam. I had a look on the App Store - chinese app? Subscription?

Anyway nice looking collage!
What was your raw image here? (i will go look again at image glitcher too :))
Thank you. My raw image is...
20190125_122306.jpg

Attachments

• 20190125_122306.jpg
    20190125_122306.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 4
Since a couple of other methods of making texture layers have been mentioned I though I would add a couple more.

MusicPaint changes the colours to suit the music playing in the background while you paint using a variety of brushes. But it seems to me that one time I paused the music and the colours continued to change just the same.
2F06EEB3-DB7B-48FD-952B-33C1F078BCC4.jpeg

If you’re looking for a more liquid looking layer aremaC has a preset available in the free online library called Old Melty that gives you colours based on the image you use as a source, but some inversions are involved, and the pattern changes as you touch the screen in various ways. When you first call up the preset the screen goes blank until you touch the screen and then it starts to appear. Different every time.
41DE4C77-1061-46F0-B214-629FC751B80A.jpeg

In fact, if you check out the free online library of presets shared by other users you will find some of the wackiest stuff available, but also some duds. Before you know it you will have 50 wacky presets, all live effects you can preview before pressing the shutter, or use in editing.
Now this picture needs a title. How about Octopus’s Dream.

Back
Top Bottom