APPstract RESULT: 2WeeklyAPPstract #23 October

DD9CFC35-889A-42D3-9128-EC47BFFEEF45.jpeg

Look at Pinterest? You see, yes, RESEARCH. I did, I did. But I look at most of the entries here and I totally can’t see the juxtaposition.

Juxtaposition highlights sameness and/or difference.

Two images, paired in a way that draws attention to either the similarities or the differences of the images. The same tree in opposite seasons, two halves of a married couple, two moments in time, same palette different picture. An image and a poem. Landscape, architecture, portraits. . .

Ann, I’m probably at fault here by rabbiting on so much about secular and religious history and the like. I can’t help it - I think about something and all these incredibly interesting segues appear in my mind, and they HAVE TO BE FOLLOWED. Google is my secret lover, my wanton pursuit of pleasure. My astrologer best friend says I’m a textbook Gemini (rizole :D ) and I know way more about astrology than any self-respecting psychologist should.

[i just did it again :oops: ]

Point is I should prob keep to myself the length and breadth of my meanderings — and post the bits most relevant to the theme. Which everyone else seems to manage perfectly well.

That point is ‘Juxtaposition’ = ‘compare and contrast’. Diptych means juxtapose two separate images. [imo less demanding than getting the compare ad contrast in one].

So we put together two images in which the pairing:
  1. is aesthetically pleasing
  2. makes something ordinary become extra-ordinary
  3. makes something with a standard meaning take on a new meaning
  4. shows one subject in two different lights
  5. makes us laugh
  6. makes us cry
  7. repeats or contrasts the fundamentals of art: subject, line, shape, palette, etc
  8. pleases us for some other reason

But I look at most of the entries here and I totally can’t see the juxtaposition.

We’re here to learn from each other (how many tutorials have you offered to our enduring gratitude?). If the juxtaposition isn’t clear to you, it’s likely unclear to others. Ask. (From another artist it’s called ‘feedback’ and it turn out to be a really helpful q). Personally, I love it when when the artist says something about the piece - I feel I have another layer of appreciation for the work. Maybe we should ask people to do more of that?

Getting a juxtaposition is one thing but then making an abstract that remains clear is another.

The juxtaposition makes for an abstraction. Because the reader has to make a whole out of two parts. Ie it’s not one representational image. It might be two representational images, but the two together point to something more. The sum is greater than the parts.

I hope that helps. If it doesn’t I will abdicate in sinnerjohn ’s favour any future opportunities I might have to choose a theme :feet:

Last edited:
Well unless someone tells me there is an android dipstick maker I'm stuffed anyway :rolleyes:
Open a picture in Snapseed, use expand (white or black) repeatedly on one side only until the picture is twice the width. Use double exposure to add your second image......
Turns out you can make a dyptych in one of our old faves Pixlr at no cost :rolleyes:
Doh! 10 minutes too late!!!! :feet:

Getting a juxtaposition is one thing but then making an abstract that remains clear is another.
If it helps I think the abstract side is not so important this time, that's the way I read it i.e. the image could be a straight photo coupled with another straight photo that may create an abstract image in itself.

If it helps I think the abstract side is not so important this time, that's the way I read it i.e. the image could be a straight photo coupled with another straight photo that may create an abstract image in itself.
You got it!:thumbs:

A couple of abstracts from the side of the road and LBJ statue at his library.
IMG_5724.JPG

Image shot with iPad Pro and filtered using PhotoTropedelic.
Fun facts:

View attachment 150199
Fun facts:

Carlos, lovely to see you! (And your tropodelic diptych!)

Brilliant. Now why didn’t I think of that?

View attachment 150199
Fun facts:
Very clever. I love the repetitions through both images.

Back
Top Bottom