56F3D874-CD99-4189-B4EC-7C5C84C6305E.jpeg

Welcome to MobiTog’s
2Weekly APPstract Challenge
:)

Rules:
1. Interpret the theme
2. Using apps
3. Tell us something about your interpretation

TWO weeks: Friday to Friday (14 days, roughly)
Winner: judges next round and chooses theme (or no theme) for that round

Please see: Rules & Guidelines for MobiChallenges HERE

This week:
Judge: FundyBrian

Theme: Fabricated Faces

Make any sort of face,
humanoid, animalistic, alien, robot, whatever,
except
you cannot use any photos of actual faces,
or parts of faces

Every part of the face must be a picture of
something else than an actual part of a face
but just happens to be a similar shape as an ear, nose, head.

See Brian’s more detailed explanations below!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can hear it. Oh, no. What kooky theme will FundyBrian come up with this time? :rolleyes::lol:o_O
I remember how much I enjoyed the art games and wished they could continue a while longer. This idea has been niggling away at me for a while and at least I think it would be fun. Mind you, I haven’t actually tried it myself. Oh, but yes I did. Only I had not thought up the “rules” yet and my previous effort wouldn’t quite fit.

The theme will be: Fabricated Faces. Make any sort of face, humanoid, animalistic, alien, robot, whatever, except you cannot use any photos of actual faces, or parts of faces. Every part of the face must be a picture of something else than an actual part of a face but just happens to be a similar shape as an ear, nose, head.

No, it won’t be considered proper to simply cut a head-shaped piece out of something. It must be the complete object, watermelon, rock, light fixture, hot air balloon, whatever. If you want a square/cube head that’s fine. Don’t just take picture of a face made up from vegetable parts, make up the whole face from photo bits. The parts can be vegetable bits but not assembled and then photographed all in one piece. Are we getting it? Entirely assembled in apps using layers, pasting, masking, etc. Did you ever want to invent your own insect?

Maybe you could use cucumber slices for eyes, or beach pebbles. Asparagus tips for eyebrows? A leaf or a seashell could be an ear. How about a spring for a moustache? Or a comb? You can make it all as fantastical and abstract as you want, as long as we can still make out the face. Chicklets (gum) for teeth? Steel wool for hair? Or Lichen? Old man’s beard for, umm. No drawing facial features!

Zenjenny, if you think this is too kooky you could shorten the time period to 1 week, or 3 days, or... 10 minutes.
What am I saying! This will be great! Once the initial shock wears off.

Last edited by a moderator:
FundyBrian :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It’s a great theme, Brian - and absolutely in keeping with my primary wish for this challenge, ie that a fun time is had by all :D

And just to be clear, we are making faces only - not whole persons?

Okay, MobiToggers old and new — time to remember your potato printing and pasta necklaces :thumbs: Let’s see these Fabricated Faces!

FundyBrian :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It’s a great theme, Brian - and absolutely in keeping with my primary wish for this challenge, ie that a fun time is had by all :D

And just to be clear, we are making faces only - not whole persons?

Okay, MobiToggers old and new — time to remember your potato printing and pasta necklaces :thumbs: Let’s see these Fabricated Faces!
Yes, just the face will do. Of course if you get carried away with the fun... Dr Frankenstein would be pleased.

Edit: I was just thinking that it might also be fun to Fabricate Faces in a cubist or Picassoesque style if that catches your fancy. Or you could start with one of your Found Faces pictures and embellish it with more features.

Last edited:
2A2A4279-2E45-4A3A-AC4C-7BFF04384016.jpeg

Okay, I’ll go first :rolleyes: My face & hair is made from a brass vase and a white rosebud; Hipsta lens (I forget which) overlaid with a polished amethyst and a black dot masked for eyes. Eyebrows, piece of a cello, Nose is a fidget-spinner and mouth is an S. Collar is the bottom part of a very enlarged earring and two feathers. Bg in SketchClub, blending & masking in Union.

I can’t think of a name for he/she/it :alien:

I can hear it. Oh, no. What kooky theme will FundyBrian come up with this time? :rolleyes::lol:o_O
I remember how much I enjoyed the art games and wished they could continue a while longer. This idea has been niggling away at me for a while and at least I think it would be fun. Mind you, I haven’t actually tried it myself. Oh, but yes I did. Only I had not thought up the “rules” yet and my previous effort wouldn’t quite fit.

The theme will be: Fabricated Faces. Make any sort of face, humanoid, animalistic, alien, robot, whatever, except you cannot use any photos of actual faces, or parts of faces. Every part of the face must be a picture of something else than an actual part of a face but just happens to be a similar shape as an ear, nose, head.

No, it won’t be considered proper to simply cut a head-shaped piece out of something. It must be the complete object, watermelon, rock, light fixture, hot air balloon, whatever. If you want a square/cube head that’s fine. Don’t just take picture of a face made up from vegetable parts, make up the whole face from photo bits. The parts can be vegetable bits but not assembled and then photographed all in one piece. Are we getting it? Entirely assembled in apps using layers, pasting, masking, etc. Did you ever want to invent your own insect?

Maybe you could use cucumber slices for eyes, or beach pebbles. Asparagus tips for eyebrows? A leaf or a seashell could be an ear. How about a spring for a moustache? Or a comb? You can make it all as fantastical and abstract as you want, as long as we can still make out the face. Chicklets (gum) for teeth? Steel wool for hair? Or Lichen? Old man’s beard for, umm. No drawing facial features!

Zenjenny, if you think this is too kooky you could shorten the time period to 1 week, or 3 days, or... 10 minutes.
What am I saying! This will be great! Once the initial shock wears off.
Well this is creative!! I know our MobiPeeps will create some cool and wacky faces. o_O

View attachment 122739

Okay, I’ll go first :rolleyes: My face & hair is made from a brass vase and a white rosebud; Hipsta lens (I forget which) overlaid with a polished amethyst and a black dot masked for eyes. Eyebrows, piece of a cello, Nose is a fidget-spinner and mouth is an S. Collar is the bottom part of a very enlarged earring and two feathers. Bg in SketchClub, blending & masking in Union.

Wow!! Those eyes are so cool.... they look 3-D and literally pop out at you.

View attachment 122739

Stradivari Must Face the Music
Violin, stamps from SketchClub.
Procreate, SuperimposeX, icolorama View attachment 122741
Interesting that both of these pictures coincidentally contain music/violin bits.

Dandelion gone rogue.
555D4406-3306-40DA-A1BF-E76434337D31.jpeg

Starting with a dandelion head in seed. Or seeds half gone. The dandelion seeds provide the punk hairdo. Buttercup petals for ears. Part of a Blue Flag seed pod for a mouth - lovely teeth. Eyebrows are a Maple key seed pair. Foxglove flower for a nose. The eyes are a ladybug painted on a shaker (music) and photographed with a pseudo fisheye app (Fisheye Pro) to create the 3D spherical effect. Assembled in Affinity Photo, with a blended effect layer from Painnt.
This is Dandelion with attitude.

Last edited:
The trees are waiting to hear from you.
C448AD7E-42C8-4FE7-9BE0-767FFB6F39E3.jpeg

I started with a mirrored tree photo I had made a couple of years ago which had the face-like symmetry. This is where being able to preview live effects is so useful. Old letter box for a mouth (awaiting messages). Mushrooms for ears, and a round mushroom for the eyes. Some sort of moss for hair. The nose was already part of the bark. I found it was better to put the eyes in from behind rather than sticking them on top. Some attention was put into burning in shadows to enhance the sense of depth. This time I worked in Procreate because it has a good warp function for bending objects.

The trees are waiting to hear from you.
View attachment 122785
I e attention was put into burning in shadows to enhance the sense of depth. This time I worked in Procreate because it has a good warp function for bending objects.

Great work with those ‘burned’ shadows - really adds depth and interest to the ‘portrait’

Dandelion gone rogue.
View attachment 122771
Starting with a dandelion head in seed. Or seeds half gone. The dandelion seeds provide the punk hairdo. Buttercup petals for ears. Part of a Blue Flag seed pod for a mouth - lovely teeth. Eyebrows are a Maple key seed pair. Foxglove flower for a nose. The eyes are a ladybug painted on a shaker (music) and photographed with a pseudo fisheye app (Fisheye Pro) to create the 3D spherical effect. Assembled in Affinity Photo, with a blended effect layer from Painnt.
This is Dandelion with attitude.
Too cute!!

Child’s Play
SuperimposeX,Ultrapop, iC Painter
9A21B516-A315-4BBC-847D-4A887634E76E.jpeg

Our local college art museum is running a very interesting exhibit titled Plastic Entanglements. As the program states the exhibit"brings together sixty works by thirty contemporary artists to explore the environmental, aesthetic, and technological entanglements of our ongoing love affair with this paradoxical, infinitely malleable substance. Both miraculous and malignant, ephemeral yet relentlessly present, plastic infiltrates our global networks, our planet, and even our bodies." One of the installations was a"wood cabinet, plastic and rubber children’s toys, sex toys, glass species jars, and books," referencing an old medical museum with formaldehyde filled jars of diseased organs and malformations. I cut and pasted everything but the yellow background from photos of the jars.
fullsizeoutput_6c35.jpegfullsizeoutput_6c34.jpegfullsizeoutput_6c31.jpeg
The eyes cam from a different piece of art, an aprrox. 2'x4' iridescent sculpture of molded plastic
fullsizeoutput_6c3f.jpeg

Here's the baseline version from SuperimposeX
fullsizeoutput_6c6d.jpeg

MigMan.
32CDFB0D-928F-4B81-81EF-D85CDB45842F.jpeg

I started with a front view of my mig welder, which needed a lot of tidying up to remove extraneous details, like knobs & dials and charts. I decided this one would be mechanical stuff.
The part of the face that holds the eyes is an old Stromberg aircraft carburetor that I photographed at an aircraft museum. I knew that picture would come in handy... some day.
The eyes are a close-up of a hubcap from an antique Fargo truck.
I’m using ear protectors for ears.
The nose is an old manual glass vial type of caster/camber gauge for doing wheel alignment, from the 60s.
The mouth is the front grill of an Austin Healey 3000 which was made between 1959 and 1967.
When I first photographed the Mig welder I made it a fairly tight shot, which meant later on the large cable for the welder ended up too short to reach the edge of the frame, so I put a welding glove on it. But since I only have a right glove it needed to be flipped to make it left handed.
Finally the Brown-eyed Susan held between the teeth for a little panache.

Back
Top Bottom