APPstract RESULT: 2WeeklyAPPstract Fabricated Faces

Child’s Play
SuperimposeX,Ultrapop, iC Painter
View attachment 141156

Our local college art museum is running a very interesting exhibit titled Plastic Entanglements. As the program states the exhibit"brings together sixty works by thirty contemporary artists to explore the environmental, aesthetic, and technological entanglements of our ongoing love affair with this paradoxical, infinitely malleable substance. Both miraculous and malignant, ephemeral yet relentlessly present, plastic infiltrates our global networks, our planet, and even our bodies." One of the installations was a"wood cabinet, plastic and rubber children’s toys, sex toys, glass species jars, and books," referencing an old medical museum with formaldehyde filled jars of diseased organs and malformations. I cut and pasted everything but the yellow background from photos of the jars.
View attachment 141445View attachment 141449View attachment 141455
The eyes cam from a different piece of art, an aprrox. 2'x4' iridescent sculpture of molded plastic
View attachment 141527

Here's the baseline version from SuperimposeX
View attachment 141596
Interesting story and interesting result!

Monster Bunny

1FF3E151-72E4-444F-990B-2C94456295E8.jpeg

It started with the ears. My dead goldfish reminded me of a rabbit’s ear and that’s where it all started. Took the goldfish into Superimpose X and then looked around for things to make the bunny. A sleeping duck for the eyes, a Love Heart, a vase, a wooden toadstool for a nose, the Harry Potter Hippogriff and the background is some netting. Icolorama to smooth it all out.

Monster Bunny

View attachment 143608

It started with the ears. My dead goldfish reminded me of a rabbit’s ear and that’s where it all started. Took the goldfish into Superimpose X and then looked around for things to make the bunny. A sleeping duck for the eyes, a Love Heart, a vase, a wooden toadstool for a nose, the Harry Potter Hippogriff and the background is some netting. Icolorama to smooth it all out.
I never would have guessed those ears were goldfish but I can see it now. Well done. What an funny assortment of objects. The netting makes a wonderful background.

Last edited:
MigMan.
View attachment 142431
I started with a front view of my mig welder, which needed a lot of tidying up to remove extraneous details, like knobs & dials and charts. I decided this one would be mechanical stuff.
The part of the face that holds the eyes is an old Stromberg aircraft carburetor that I photographed at an aircraft museum. I knew that picture would come in handy... some day.
The eyes are a close-up of a hubcap from an antique Fargo truck.
I’m using ear protectors for ears.
The nose is an old manual glass vial type of caster/camber gauge for doing wheel alignment, from the 60s.
The mouth is the front grill of an Austin Healey 3000 which was made between 1959 and 1967.
When I first photographed the Mig welder I made it a fairly tight shot, which meant later on the large cable for the welder ended up too short to reach the edge of the frame, so I put a welding glove on it. But since I only have a right glove it needed to be flipped to make it left handed.
Finally the Brown-eyed Susan held between the teeth for a little panache.
The flower is the pièce de résistence. So funny.

Last edited:
Child’s Play
View attachment 141156

this paradoxical, infinitely malleable substance. Both miraculous and malignant, ephemeral yet relentlessly present, plastic infiltrates our global networks, our planet, and even our bodies." One of the installations was a"wood cabinet, plastic and rubber children’s toys, sex toys, glass species jars, and books," referencing an old medical museum with formaldehyde filled jars of diseased organs and malformations. I cut and pasted everything but the yellow background from photos of the jars.

“miraculous and malignant, ephemeral yet relentlessly present”. Gawd. I think your fabricated face is the perfect (if not the only possible) response.

Monster Bunny

View attachment 143608

Do you keep dead goldfish, Jilly?

For just these occasions? o_O

(They do make very nice ears. o_O o_O )

I thought I’d post the unprocessed image of the bunny too.

38D0F2D7-C377-4F7C-BD5A-055BB02E0959.jpeg

I realised, after looking through my camera roll, that the background wasn’t netting, but some soap roses that I bought from a charity shop. I can’t remember which app I used to make them swirlyl.

SuperimposeX

Child’s Play
View attachment 141156

Our local college art museum is running a very interesting exhibit titled Plastic Entanglements. As the program states the exhibit"brings together sixty works by thirty contemporary artists to explore the environmental, aesthetic, and technological entanglements of our ongoing love affair with this paradoxical, infinitely malleable substance. Both miraculous and malignant, ephemeral yet relentlessly present, plastic infiltrates our global networks, our planet, and even our bodies." One of the installations was a"wood cabinet, plastic and rubber children’s toys, sex toys, glass species jars, and books," referencing an old medical museum with formaldehyde filled jars of diseased organs and malformations. I cut and pasted everything but the yellow background from photos of the jars.
View attachment 141445View attachment 141449View attachment 141455
The eyes cam from a different piece of art, an aprrox. 2'x4' iridescent sculpture of molded plastic
View attachment 141527

Here's the baseline version from SuperimposeX
View attachment 141596
What a fascinating exhibit... and your face looks like melted plastic. Perhaps what humanity will evolve into unless we change our toxic ways.

MigMan.
View attachment 142431
I started with a front view of my mig welder, which needed a lot of tidying up to remove extraneous details, like knobs & dials and charts. I decided this one would be mechanical stuff.
The part of the face that holds the eyes is an old Stromberg aircraft carburetor that I photographed at an aircraft museum. I knew that picture would come in handy... some day.
The eyes are a close-up of a hubcap from an antique Fargo truck.
I’m using ear protectors for ears.
The nose is an old manual glass vial type of caster/camber gauge for doing wheel alignment, from the 60s.
The mouth is the front grill of an Austin Healey 3000 which was made between 1959 and 1967.
When I first photographed the Mig welder I made it a fairly tight shot, which meant later on the large cable for the welder ended up too short to reach the edge of the frame, so I put a welding glove on it. But since I only have a right glove it needed to be flipped to make it left handed.
Finally the Brown-eyed Susan held between the teeth for a little panache.
Brilliant! I actually thought you found this guy on the beach! It doesn’t look pieced together at all. :notworthy:

The trees are waiting to hear from you.
View attachment 122785
I started with a mirrored tree photo I had made a couple of years ago which had the face-like symmetry. This is where being able to preview live effects is so useful. Old letter box for a mouth (awaiting messages). Mushrooms for ears, and a round mushroom for the eyes. Some sort of moss for hair. The nose was already part of the bark. I found it was better to put the eyes in from behind rather than sticking them on top. Some attention was put into burning in shadows to enhance the sense of depth. This time I worked in Procreate because it has a good warp function for bending objects.
WOW!!!!! Another one that looks totally real. I love this magic forest creature!

I thought I’d post the unprocessed image of the bunny too.

View attachment 143638
I realised, after looking through my camera roll, that the background wasn’t netting, but some soap roses that I bought from a charity shop. I can’t remember which app I used to make them swirlyl.

SuperimposeX
This is fantastic!! Fish ears!!! And his feet!! :D ❤️

Meet Chantelle Chanterelle, ready to go out dancing.
8F7F8957-1C28-4C66-B1C9-E8D7D3346063.jpeg

Finding a nice red Virginia Creeper leaf for the lips was a lucky stoke, although it still needed some shading to give a better 3D shape. The eyes are single sections from a blackberry. They even had the dark spot on them, every one of the sections had the spot which I think might have been caused by my shadow. The ears are one of those multi-zoned something or other fungi. The drop ear rings are ice drips from the pictures I made in winter over the semi-frozen frozen brook. They start out as icicles hanging from a low branch over the water but as the water splashes up against the icicles they start growing, eventually becoming bell shaped. I think finding something for the nose was most difficult. Another mushroom top. One of those tiny ones on skinny stems. The lovely hairdo is courtesy of a nice patch of moss. And the frilly evening gown is a bunch of bracket fungi. Affinity.

View attachment 143737
Finding a nice red Virginia Creeper leaf for the lips was a lucky stoke, although it still needed some shading to give a better 3D shape. The eyes are single sections from a blackberry. They even had the dark spot on them, every one of the sections had the spot which I think might have been caused by my shadow. The ears are one of those multi-zoned something or other fungi. The drop ear rings are ice drips from the pictures I made in winter over the semi-frozen frozen brook. They start out as icicles hanging from a low branch over the water but as the water splashes up against the icicles they start growing, eventually becoming bell shaped. I think finding something for the nose was most difficult. Another mushroom top. One of those tiny ones on skinny stems. The lovely hairdo is courtesy of a nice patch of moss. And the frilly evening gown is a bunch of bracket fungi. Affinity.
:lol: So funny and clever. The start of a new tv animation series.

View attachment 143737
She is darling!

View attachment 143737

This is beautifully done, Brian! Such meticulous masking and layering :notworthy: the new whole looks organic ! If you have a hallucinogenic mushroom tourist trade, you could use Miss Chanterelle on the brochure :thumbs:

This is beautifully done, Brian! Such meticulous masking and layering :notworthy: the new whole looks organic ! If you have a hallucinogenic mushroom tourist trade, you could use Miss Chanterelle on the brochure :thumbs:
Thank you! I was having fun with this one.
I’ve been thinking... since I have a welder, and a bunch of junk metal... I should weld together some weird creatures along the lines of recycled junk metal sculpture. The garbage truck won’t take the junk metal so if it was made into something maybe I could sell it.

I’ve been thinking... since I have a welder, and a bunch of junk metal... I should weld together some weird creatures along the lines of recycled junk metal sculpture. The garbage truck won’t take the junk metal so if it was made into something maybe I could sell it.
Definitely. Go for it!

I’d love to learn that kind of welding! I would make garden art :D

I’d love to learn that kind of welding! I would make garden art :D
Welding isn’t that hard to learn. A couple of evening classes would you teach you the basics. The techniques are easy enough. But getting good at it takes some practice. Fortunately, if your welds are lumpy they can be tidied up with some grinding. Practice makes for smoother welds.

I just took apart a Honda Civic transmission so I have some more bits to play with, lots of gears, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom