360 Panoramas

Another feature I had not tried yet on the DJI Osmo Mobile with my iPhone 7 Plus and using the companion DJI Go app: in the panorama menu - 3 rows of 3 pictures combined into one photo. Once selected, you aim the camera at the middle of the scene and tap. Quick as you like the iPhone swivels to the bottom left corner, shoots and moves to the next frame, right, and another in far right. Then zips back to the far left to scan the middle row and finally the top row. In no time the completed pano appears and perfectly stitched. The picture was well exposed across all the different brightness areas. And a vastly wider view than would be possible in one shot, even with my Moment WA lens. The vertical lines were correct even though I had made no effort to make that happen and had not even thought about it at this point in the testing. The only downside, if it could be considered as such, is the final image resolution was only 4255 x 1871 px. I had somehow expected it to be bigger considering it was made from 9 photos although it is roughly equivalent to a typical image file size. I must investigate the resolution settings.
When I started the test I remember thinking this looks like a solution to the missing AutoStitch. I’ll do an outdoors photo to post later.
Edit: looking back on previous still photos made with the DJI Osmo Mobile and DJI Go app with my iPhone 7 Plus: they were made while recording video so it isn’t surprising they are 16:9 aspect ratio and 4096 x 2304 px. Of course photos made with other apps on the Osmo still produce the same resolution as before. This is just the internal still photo capture of the DJI Go Camera app.
The 3 rows of 3 pano would be made of 9 - 16:9 stills.
I have to say that I am truly impressed with the DJI Go. I know mine can do a lot more than I have learnt but not these fancy extras that the app provides.

Close quarters 360
Holy Whale Brewing 360-2 interior view
http://pnr.ma/dUYijx
This is the tightest space in which I have ever made a 360. The closest objects were within 2 feet, .6 metre, of the camera. There was not enough room for me to squeeze around my tripod, I had to go under, between the tripod legs, in order to go around 360. The rotator would really have helped here.
Also, it was my first 360 pano made with my little bracket added between the tripod head and the iPhone mount to ensure the lens remains at the centre of rotation. This picture is exactly the type of situation where an off-centre lens would show parts not fitting together properly.

Glitch example
To help you understand what happens when the camera lens is not aligned with the centre of rotation.
Kouchibouguac boardwalk. Glitch example
http://pnr.ma/cRhHZX
Notice the hand rail and the horizon. In 2 places the Stitcher was not able to make both the foreground objects and the horizon fit together at the same time so it had to make a jump.
This was not the worst case of this I have had. Just the only one I kept.
If all the subject matter were far away the stitching could make it work. But having both close and far objects the Stitcher has to make a decision in cases where parts cannot be made to align. It chooses either the foreground object or the background, whichever line it happened to be using as the most important part at that time.

If I was buying right now I’d be looking at one of the fold-up DJI ones, not the tiny ones. The full-sized drones use a full size backpack to transport. The fold up one fit in a small shoulder bag about the size of a fat hardcover novel. Just remember, smaller drone, smaller camera. Unfortunately, DJI has an abysmal customer service record. Autel Robotics is much better in that respect.
I have a DJI Mavic Pro and Spark - and would argue that both have their value; the Mavic for features and quality (up to 4K resolution) and the Spark (up to 1080p) for sheer portability and fun. As you said, a lot can happen when you're flying drones but if you prepare well beforehand most of it can be avoided. DJI, also, is not as 'abysmal' as you imply. Their replacement service can be a lifesaver in some cases.

Last edited:
I just made a test of the Motion Time-Lapse option on the DJI Osmo Mobile! It works beautifully.
I have a DJI Osmo Mobile on order and am awaiting for new stocks to arrive and must admit this feature is what sold it to me. I've used gimbals on other cameras but not seen one that can do all the Osmo can.

I see you use the iPhone 7 Plus with the Osmo, Brian. Have you encountered any of the so-called 'jitters' some people claim is a result of the 7 Plus's image stabilisation 'fighting' the Osmos's. I've seen some videos posted on YouTube that supposedly show this happening but, quite honestly, I can't see it. If it's there it must be infinitesimal.

I have a DJI Osmo Mobile on order and am awaiting for new stocks to arrive and must admit this feature is what sold it to me. I've used gimbals on other cameras but not seen one that can do all the Osmo can.

I see you use the iPhone 7 Plus with the Osmo, Brian. Have you encountered any of the so-called 'jitters' some people claim is a result of the 7 Plus's image stabilisation 'fighting' the Osmos's. I've seen some videos posted on YouTube that supposedly show this happening but, quite honestly, I can't see it. If it's there it must be infinitesimal.

Now we’re talking on two threads. I don’t even know where the other one is except it came up in “unread”. I wrote more over there before seeing this one. There is the “Ninja walk” people practice for walking video. The gimbal can handle all sorts of motions but when you walk with a noticeable up and down bounce in your step the video will be level but going up and down. The Ninja walk helps avoid this.

Now we’re talking on two threads. I don’t even know where the other one is except it came up in “unread”. I wrote more over there before seeing this one.
Yep, I got it. My original post is in the Accessories & Phones forum. ImageArt kindly pointed me towards the stuff you'd already posted about the Osmo Mobile in this forum, so thanks again for the info. :)

Spherical 360x360 Panorama - Home Woods.
My VR Kit arrived, somewhat delayed by Christmas mail.
I just had a chance to make my first Spherical 360 panorama. That’s 360 around, and up and down as well. The VR Kit uses a 180° fisheye lens and an optional motor base that is Bluetooth controlled by the VRKit app. It turns, stops to shoot an image, turns some more, stops to make another shot, etc., all the way around 360°. It makes an 8K image.
Here is the flattened preview that doesn’t really tell you anything about how it looks.
equi_z_n_none.jpg

To see the interactive spherical 360 in the round on your device follow this link.
http://pnr.ma/bJxEWg
When you get to the image at the DMD Panorama site look for the 1024/4096 resolution selector bottom right. If your image is not moving as you move your device tap the compass icon at the lower right. Now try looking all around. Including straight up and down! Also try rotating your device from horizontal to vertical and see the image doesn’t rotate but changes how much you see in the long dimension.

Here’s a single image with the 180° fisheye lens.
IMG_6274.JPG

Spherical 360x360 Panorama - Home Woods.
My VR Kit arrived, somewhat delayed by Christmas mail.
I just had a chance to make my first Spherical 360 panorama. That’s 360 around, and up and down as well. The VR Kit uses a 180° fisheye lens and an optional motor base that is Bluetooth controlled by the VRKit app. It turns, stops to shoot an image, turns some more, stops to make another shot, etc., all the way around 360°. It makes an 8K image.
Here is the flattened preview that doesn’t really tell you anything about how it looks.
View attachment 104941
To see the interactive spherical 360 in the round on your device follow this link.
http://pnr.ma/bJxEWg
When you get to the image at the DMD Panorama site look for the 1024/4096 resolution selector bottom right. If your image is not moving as you move your device tap the compass icon at the lower right. Now try looking all around. Including straight up and down! Also try rotating your device from horizontal to vertical and see the image doesn’t rotate but changes how much you see in the long dimension.

Here’s a single image with the 180° fisheye lens.
View attachment 104942
Very interesting. Am I right in thinking that it’s not quite as sharp as your usual panoramas? Some stitching seems to be a little off inbetween the sharper areas.

Very interesting. Am I right in thinking that it’s not quite as sharp as your usual panoramas? Some stitching seems to be a little off inbetween the sharper areas.

Actually, I believe that is a problem with all spherical panos although these are higher resolution than many. Theoretically these spherical panos are made at higher resolution than the regular DMD Panoramas. However, the normal viewing window on screen is only a portion of the overall height of the image so that 4096 resolution acts more like 2048. The extreme upper and lower views are bound to be less sharp as this is working with the far edges of the fisheye lens field.
The VRKit app makes 9 shots around the 360 rotation using the 180° lens and I presume this is to avoid the extreme edges of the images where there is more distortion. It should be possible to make a 360 with just 2 or 3 shots with a 180 lens.
My LG 360 Cam does it with just I shutter click, 2 simultaneous shots (2 lenses), but it has lenses wider than 180. It also shoots spherical video! I'm not very impressed by the stitching with the 360 Cam, though. It's not bad but not invisible. Also prone to flare as you pretty well always pick up the sun. No way to avoid it.
Also, you're right about the stitching glitches. I think this must have been due to the strong wind vibrating everything, such as the camera on the motor base, because my indoor tests did not show the same problem. The trees were all swaying alarmingly. I could see the roots lifting from the ground on one side on that foreground tree to the right of the green mossy area. I was reasonable impressed by the image detail when I zoomed in on the image.
You did select 4096 instead of 1024, I presume. The image defaults to 1024 when it first appears, to speed up download time. You have to manually select 4096 to get full resolution.
This was just my first try outdoors so the technique is bound to improve. I was a bit rushed to get it done for Time Stamp.
The fancier spherical rigs use 6 cameras, 4 around the horizontal and one up and one down. It's only money.

Last edited:
Actually, I believe that is a problem with all spherical panos although these are higher resolution than many. Theoretically these spherical panos are made at higher resolution than the regular DMD Panoramas. However, the normal viewing window on screen is only a portion of the overall height of the image so that 4096 resolution acts more like 2048. The extreme upper and lower views are bound to be less sharp as this is working with the far edges of the fisheye lens field.
The VRKit app makes 9 shots around the 360 rotation using the 180° lens and I presume this is to avoid the extreme edges of the images where there is more distortion. It should be possible to make a 360 with just 2 or 3 shots with a 180 lens.
My LG 360 Cam does it with just I shutter click, 2 simultaneous shots (2 lenses), but it has lenses wider than 180. It also shoots spherical video! I'm not very impressed by the stitching with the 360 Cam, though. It's not bad but not invisible. Also prone to flare as you pretty well always pick up the sun. No way to avoid it.
Also, you're right about the stitching glitches. I think this must have been due to the strong wind vibrating everything, such as the camera on the motor base, because my indoor tests did not show the same problem. The trees were all swaying alarmingly. I could see the roots lifting from the ground on one side on that foreground tree to the right of the green mossy area. I was reasonable impressed by the image detail when I zoomed in on the image.
You did select 4096 instead of 1024, I presume. The image defaults to 1024 when it first appears, to speed up download time. You have to manually select 4096 to get full resolution.
This was just my first try outdoors so the technique is bound to improve. I was a bit rushed to get it done for Time Stamp.
The fancier spherical rigs use 6 cameras, 4 around the horizontal and one up and one down. It's only money.
Yes, I did view it at its highest resolution. Well, I’m really looking forward to seeing more. The conditions don’t sound ideal.

360 Panorama - Waterside Beach winter.
Here is the flat preview:
78C9B8F8-83C8-45A9-86A0-2E6BEA3063E1.jpeg

Use this link to see the interactive 360 in-the-round.
http://pnr.ma/enJkST

Waterside is on the Bay of Fundy where the tidal variation at this location is about 11.5 metres. This walk was at low tide in late afternoon during February.

Back
Top Bottom