360 Panoramas

Sunset 360, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec.
Use this link to see the interactive 360 panorama in-the-round.
http://pnr.ma/bWRZYE
A beautiful calm evening, orange glow, nice reflections, Ottawa River, Lake of Two Mountains, Sainte Anne's Locks, highway 20 bridge.
Here is a preview flat version
View attachment 99361
Made with iPhone 7 Plus & DMD Panorama.
This is so lovely, Brian!

A beautiful calm evening, orange glow, nice reflections, Ottawa River, Lake of Two Mountains, Sainte Anne's Locks, highway 20 bridge.
View attachment 99361

It sooo cool on the app, on my iPad. I would love to see this on my big screen tv. There’s a website, right?

It sooo cool on the app, on my iPad. I would love to see this on my big screen tv. There’s a website, right?

You mean the DMD website? Unless you have the app you need a "player" to see the 360 Panoramas and thus is what the website provides. With an HDMI adapter for your iPhone/iPad you can view anything in your device on your TV.

You mean the DMD website? Unless you have the app you need a "player" to see the 360 Panoramas and thus is what the website provides. With an HDMI adapter for your iPhone/iPad you can view anything in your device on your TV.

I see. Our HDMI device is Roku. I will look into this tomorrow.

I see. Our HDMI device is Roku. I will look into this tomorrow.

It is an Apple part. Lightning to HDMI adapter. You can connect to a TV or projector and show what is on your screen. I have used it with good success to show an iPhone photography Keynote presentation on my iPhone to a groups. I needed a long HDMI cable (10 feet) to go from my iPhone to the projector.

It is an Apple part. Lightning to HDMI adapter. You can connect to a TV or projector and show what is on your screen. I have used it with good success to show an iPhone photography Keynote presentation on my iPhone to a groups. I needed a long HDMI cable (10 feet) to go from my iPhone to the projector.

I see. I would have to consider the cost vs usefulness.

Do you by chance have Apple TV? Our Roku is giving signs of failing and I’m considering replacing it.

View attachment 99361
Beeeeeeautiful.

I see. I would have to consider the cost vs usefulness.

Do you by chance have Apple TV? Our Roku is giving signs of failing and I’m considering replacing it.

No I don't have Apple TV. Actually, I don't really watch TV at all anymore. I don't know what Roku is. We have satellite TV that Fabi watches, although less and less. Our satellite internet isn't good enough for watching video without a lot of stops for spooling during the video.

Me too and unfortunately they're not all high quality!:lol::lol:

The only measure of quality these days is whether you have a Full HD or Ultra HD TV. In other words, picture quality rather than content quality.
Everything on TV is put there to shape your views and support the lifestyles favoured by the advertisers. It's shocking to realize how high the ads/program content ratio really is. You think you don't pay attention to the ads but they do leave an impression. Overall the ads are much higher quality than the shows. Not surprising they also have higher budgets.
Have you noticed that in recent years every car ad features someone racing around on the public roads at high speed. No wonder that is just how everyone drives these days.

It's shocking to realize how high the ads/program content ratio really is. You think you don't pay attention to the ads but they do leave an impression.
My life is commercial free. 99% of the shows I watch are either pre-taped on my TiVo (which has a handy dandy magical skip feature for commercials - press it and it instantly fast forwards through them :inlove: ), or watched via Apple TV on Showtime, HBO, Netflix, etc, which don’t have commercials. :D

The only measure of quality these days is whether you have a Full HD or Ultra HD TV. In other words, picture quality rather than content quality.
Everything on TV is put there to shape your views and support the lifestyles favoured by the advertisers. It's shocking to realize how high the ads/program content ratio really is. You think you don't pay attention to the ads but they do leave an impression. Overall the ads are much higher quality than the shows. Not surprising they also have higher budgets.
Have you noticed that in recent years every car ad features someone racing around on the public roads at high speed. No wonder that is just how everyone drives these days.
My life is commercial free. 99% of the shows I watch are either pre-taped on my TiVo (which has a handy dandy magical skip feature for commercials - press it and it instantly fast forwards through them :inlove: ), or watched via Apple TV on Showtime, HBO, Netflix, etc, which don’t have commercials. :D

This is an interesting premise to consider. I admit that I pay attention to commercials for their entertainment value only. For example, the eTrade commercials of several years featuring the talking baby were hysterical, IMO. I did not, however, change my investment strategies/services because of them. Having said that, I am deeply affected by the music in commercials. If I hear an unfamiliar song that I like I will SoundHound it and sometimes download it from iTunes. Again, though, I won't pursue the product that is being advertised. (I guess I need to be part of a study to see if/how commercials affect me subliminally.)

This is an interesting premise to consider. I admit that I pay attention to commercials for their entertainment value only. For example, the eTrade commercials of several years featuring the talking baby were hysterical, IMO. I did not, however, change my investment strategies/services because of them. Having said that, I am deeply affected by the music in commercials. If I hear an unfamiliar song that I like I will SoundHound it and sometimes download it from iTunes. Again, though, I won't pursue the product that is being advertised. (I guess I need to be part of a study to see if/how commercials affect me subliminally.)
Maybe it’s just because I DON’T watch commercials any more, so I don’t know they exist, but I feel like the creativity is missing as in years past. I remember there being utterly fantastic and/or hilarious ad campaigns that I would look forward to seeing. Geico used to have some hilarious campaigns. I can’t even remember anything like that in many years. Like you, I don’t think I’m influenced in the least to buy something because of an ad.

EXCEPT: the damn iPhone videos on Apple.com - seeing one in 2009-ish is what pulled me over to the dark side and my first iPhone. BUT... all those videos really do is show you exactly what the product does. And the beauty of the design/features is really what drew me in.

:rolleyes: :whistle: :coffee: ....that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

Maybe it’s just because I DON’T watch commercials any more, so I don’t know they exist, but I feel like the creativity is missing as in years past. I remember there being utterly fantastic and/or hilarious ad campaigns that I would look forward to seeing. Geico used to have some hilarious campaigns. I can’t even remember anything like that in many years. Like you, I don’t think I’m influenced in the least to buy something because of an ad.

EXCEPT: the damn iPhone videos on Apple.com - seeing one in 2009-ish is what pulled me over to the dark side and my first iPhone. BUT... all those videos really do is show you exactly what the product does. And the beauty of the design/features is really what drew me in.

:rolleyes: :whistle: :coffee: ....that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.
I would say the majority of commercials are fairly stupid with a few really good/funny standouts.

The Country Pumpkin roadside vegetable stand, Maugerville, New Brunswick, Canada.
Here is the flattened preview image.
IMG_3940.JPG

To see the interactive 360 panorama in-the-round follow the link below.
Maugerville Country Pumpkin 360
http://pnr.ma/coAAkj
One of the bigger and more successful farmer's roadside vegetable stands along the old Fredericton highway. A lot of the land nearby floods every spring but this part is a bit higher. Across the road is a wonderful view of the Saint John River and Oramocto Island.

Been researching motorised timelapse heads for the iphone and I have to say that there doesn't seem to be one that stands out. Your Motrr Galileo robotic head, Brian, got terrible reviews on Amazon but I wonder how much that was due to lack of knowledge. One of the main criticisms seems to be finding one with a smooth rotation over a long period. Any thoughts?

Oh now, that is stunning. That's like a video almost. Really gives you a sense of the place. Have to have some practice with this before I go to Namibia.

5 minutes practice should do. Really. It’s very easy. Do you have the DMD Panorama app? It’s the best pano app I have found for 360s.
You “can” make 360 Panoramas without a tripod but it is much easier with a tripod (if you discount the nuisance of getting it level). Next to a tripod a monopod is your 2nd best option. I have made several hand held 360s and the worst problem will be a crooked horizon. Just try again if the first one is crooked. On even ground it is easier to stay level. Stepping around on rocky uneven ground is a recipe for crooked panos.
When you start the DMD app it instructs you to hold your phone vertically. It means true vertical, both directions. This puts your virtual horizon in the middle of the screen. You “can” angle the camera a few degrees up or down and still have it stitch ok but as you play back the pano the horizon will either bulge up or down rather than running true all around.
The camera should be the centre of the rotation, not your feet. This is why a tripod or monopod is better. I can never step around the camera very well in a circle in a hand held pano but it doesn’t seem to matter. This would become more of an issue if you have scene features that come very close to the camera as well as distant features. If the camera is rotating around your feet, rather than the lens axis, it may not be possible to correctly stitch near & far objects at the same time.
Using a tripod: #1 your tripod needs a level to get the tripod set up in a speedy matter. If the tripod isn’t level, even if the camera is straight to start with it will be crooked as it goes around and your horizon will vary up and down. You could do it by trial and error (mostly error) but no, you should have a bubble level on your tripod. Adjust the leg lengths a bit until the level is centred. Get the tripod level first, then level the camera.
Tripod head: A video head is ideal since it will only have one axis to adjust and the panning handle is handy to rotate with. I usually use my ball head but this requires more adjustment to get it level. If using any head besides a video pan head it will need the additional free rotation feature. Not all heads have this.
Mounting the camera on the head: You need a camera tripod mount that puts your phone in vertical orientation on top of the tripod head, not down at one side. If you want to be absolutely correct the lens should be at the centre of vertical rotation. As far as I know no tripod mount currently made does this. On a DSLR set-up they go to great pains to ensure the lens is centred. As far as I can tell, on the iPhone 2or3 cm off-centre doesn’t seem to matter.
Levelling the camera: Right beside the DMD Panorama app in my camera folder I have another very useful app - a spherical level. This is the only level I have found that shows side-to-side & front-to-back level at the same time. It’s perfect!
Rotating Sphere Clinometer by Nils Calander
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/rotating-sphere-clinometer/id1190844563?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/rotating-sphere-clinometer/id1190844563?mt=8
(I’m not sure why the last part is duplicated but that’s how it came out so maybe I shouldn’t mess with it)
Once your tripod is level then you should level the camera in both directions so it stays vertical throughout 360°.

Making the 360 Pano is easy as pie once all the levelling is done. Start up the DMD app, make sure to select HD for the highest resolution, tap on the screen to start, and rotate the camera either direction while watching the yin and yang symbols at the top of the screen. One will move to merge with the other. When they touch the next exposure is made, repeat. A total of 19 shots will be made. As fast as you can read the last sentence the stitching is done and your pano is displayed on screen. Check it for problems. Crooked horizon is the main one when hand holding. Also watch out for moving objects, such as people walking by, that only half appear because they were near the edge of one frame and moved before they could be recorded by the next frame.
In the DMD app you need to set up an account so you have your own place to upload and show your panos on their website. You can copy a link to post in other messages, such as here. Now you can post 360 pics directly into FB and it will display properly. Otherwise, use the link to post, just as you would a video on YouTube.

Yes, you can make panos less than 360 but if you do you will later wish you had made a 360 when you see how lame it looks next to your 360s.

You have the option to export a copy of your pano to the camera roll for your own back up (or for editing, for instance if you want to remove any lens flare spots, or unwanted trash). You can reimport the edited pano back into DMD to upload to their site.

The DMD app uses the internal gyro sensors to know where the camera is pointed to automatically position each photo in the set. It is possible to pause briefly if you want to wait for someone to walk past before making your next frame but there is some risk of gyro drift. If you wait too long between shots the overlap might not be correct. On an older iPhone I had the gyro seemed to always drift in one direction so rotating to the right didn’t work well but rotating left was always ok.

There is a motorized pano head made for the iPhone, now discontinued unfortunately. I have one and it still works perfectly. It is faster and easier than turning manually but there is no difference in pano quality. It is called the Motrr Robotic Head and it is capable of more complicated things than just panos. It can also make spherical 360s with a special app Sphere but the app developer dropped out, sad story etc. Also, automatic camera tracking of moving objects in videos, & face finding. Quite amazing really. The only downside is that there is no off switch(!) so the battery gradually goes dead on its own and you have to keep checking it is charged up before you use it. Rather a pain. Also, since it was discontinued around the time of the iPhone 6, that is the last iPhone mount size available. They never made a mount for the 6 Plus. You have to invent your own. When using the Motrr with DMD Panorama there is actually a special app made to link them together. You give the Motrr a twist to initiate Bluetooth and once you tap the screen to make the first shot the Motrr takes over, quickly motoring to the next position and stopping while the shot is made and then stepping on to the next position. Works very well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom