365 - Is it worth doing?

WOTANICUS

IOTM WInner - Sept 21
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
If you are sitting on the fence about whether or not to try a 365 and take a photo a day for a year - I can wholeheartedly say that its well worth doing. Its a great way to develop your skills and techniques, overcome a lack of confidence in shooting (especially street) and generally allow you try out new things.

To give a bit of perspective to the process of shooting on a daily basis, check out Clare Gibson's project - although she uses a DSLR and not a phone, its the process that we are concerned with, rather than the practicality. Clare has been shooting solidly, every day for over 10 years.

I have recently finished my own 365 last month and thoroughly enjoyed it and actually miss the rigour of shooting on a daily basis. Some days it would be hard to find anything worth shooting, other days there would be situations where I was spoiled for choice, but i was always possible to find something. It was this requirement to produce at least one photograph per day that I found was the most inspirational, as it pushed the boundaries of my comfort zone and shooting habits, forcing me to explore other areas to fulfill the need to complete the series.

While I would struggle to follow Clare, I would certainly be willing to try another 365 project.

If you are sitting on the fence about whether or not to try a 365 and take a photo a day for a year - I can wholeheartedly say that its well worth doing. Its a great way to develop your skills and techniques, overcome a lack of confidence in shooting (especially street) and generally allow you try out new things.

To give a bit of perspective to the process of shooting on a daily basis, check out Clare Gibson's project - although she uses a DSLR and not a phone, its the process that we are concerned with, rather than the practicality. Clare has been shooting solidly, every day for over 10 years.

I have recently finished my own 365 last month and thoroughly enjoyed it and actually miss the rigour of shooting on a daily basis. Some days it would be hard to find anything worth shooting, other days there would be situations where I was spoiled for choice, but i was always possible to find something. It was this requirement to produce at least one photograph per day that I found was the most inspirational, as it pushed the boundaries of my comfort zone and shooting habits, forcing me to explore other areas to fulfill the need to complete the series.

While I would struggle to follow Clare, I would certainly be willing to try another 365 project.
The mural is pretty cool, I couldn’t do that. A lot of the time I delete the image after I post it. :lmao:

But that said, I think the 365 is totally worth it. The first year I tried it, I forgot and lost track pretty often, but tried to just pick up where I was at the time. After that I stuck to the 52s, just one a week. This time around I‘m keeping up pretty well and very much enjoying it. I can see me doing this next year, too. It has forced me to think outside the box on occasion and look at different angles just to change things up. And, yeah, there’s still days I panic at the last minute and take another pic of the dog, cat, couch……..

Will you be starting another here?

Back
Top Bottom