• > STAY HOME & STAY SAFE! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

A Question of Direction

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I made this photo today and while editing it I made a flipped version. It wasn't something I did with conscious planning. It was more subconscious. For some reason I felt I needed to try it. Looking at both of them I noticed something and I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same thing.
Look at the 2 photos and consider which way the road is going. Then look below.
IMG_1475802741.930060.jpg

IMG_1475802768.295073.jpg

Don't peek yet...

The first picture is the flipped version. To me it looks as though the road comes in from the left. In the second picture the road leads off to the right. This comes entirely from our custom of reading left to right, which also carries over in how we read photos.
It was when I was looking at the 2 versions of this same photo that I noticed my different reaction to the road.
What do you think?

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Before looking at your text, I decided the first image was the flipped one. The second image just looks right, I really can't explain why, maybe these thing are hard coded into us? Interesting stuff Brian.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
To me, the flipped version, the first photo, is about arriving. You travel along the road and arrive at the open space in the foreground of the photo.
In the second one, you're already there, with the open space in the foreground at the starting position of your "reading" of the image. Then you travel along the road, leaving.
I think it is a question of timing and how you feel the open foreground space.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Before looking at your text, I decided the first image was the flipped one. The second image just looks right, I really can't explain why, maybe these thing are hard coded into us? Interesting stuff Brian.
Yes, I think you are right about something being hard coded in us. But what is it and where did it come from?

lisamjw

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
The second image feels right to me, Brian. Maybe it comes from years of teaching little ones about concepts of print...right to left; top to bottom! ;)

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I read both trails as leaving rather than arriving. I feel a slight preference for the first image over the second, and I have a suspicion that I probably take a few more of my own shots in that direction, looking left rather than right (although I'm sure not going to go through my archives to do a tally!).

deepop

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
David
Device
iPhone Xs
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I'm left handed. I prefer the second outward bound photo. As does Brian, I feel the flipped version has the road entering from the left ... but then I feel like it gets trapped in the lower right corner, which is somewhat jarring.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I made this photo today and while editing it I made a flipped version. It wasn't something I did with conscious planning. It was more subconscious. For some reason I felt I needed to try it. Looking at both of them I noticed something and I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same thing.
Look at the 2 photos and consider which way the road is going. Then look below.
View attachment 82824
View attachment 82825

Don't peek yet...

The first picture is the flipped version. To me it looks as though the road comes in from the left. In the second picture the road leads off to the right. This comes entirely from our custom of reading left to right, which also carries over in how we read photos.
It was when I was looking at the 2 versions of this same photo that I noticed my different reaction to the road.
What do you think?
Oddly, the second non-flipped image is somewhat *disturbing* to my eye. It just felt "off".... wrong somehow. The road didn't look right to me. [emoji848]

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I prefer the first one, but I can't say why. The second one, with the road going off to the right feels wrong somehow and it makes me uncomfortable. Weird.
Yes!!! I just wrote almost the exact same thing! (before reading anyone else's replies) We need zenjenny in here to psychoanalyze us.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
The second image feels right to me, Brian. Maybe it comes from years of teaching little ones about concepts of print...right to left; top to bottom! ;)
So Lisa just came in and destroyed the theory: Boys=unflipped, Girls=flipped. :confusing:

Could it be left-brained=unflipped, right-brained=flipped?