A stroll in the city (experiment)

ric alexander

Mr. Patience
Real Name
ric alexander
Device
iPhone 11
Although massively flawed, I kinda like its disregard for almost every rule of taking a good photo. The slanted verticals to distractions from the subject. I got bored of following the rules, it ruined my interest in photography. Textures are old hat, blurred images can be boring and colour is something I’m trying to like in images but it’s hard, so, my first attempt of saying To hell with being in search of perfection. Anyway enough warbling, As much as anything I just wanted to stick this, and maybe a couple more in the coming days in one place and look back in a month or two to see if I still think this road I’m travelling along still makes sense.
one thing I do know. Using a handful of apps along with affinity photo on the iPad is giving me more enjoyment I remember having in the old photoshop and sale camera days.

iPhone XR edited with distressed FX+ and infinity photo.
84D47204-BB12-4DF8-9E25-515223F1332C.jpeg

Although massively flawed, I kinda like its disregard for almost every rule of taking a good photo. The slanted verticals to distractions from the subject. I got bored of following the rules, it ruined my interest in photography. Textures are old hat, blurred images can be boring and colour is something I’m trying to like in images but it’s hard, so, my first attempt of saying To hell with being in search of perfection. Anyway enough warbling, As much as anything I just wanted to stick this, and maybe a couple more in the coming days in one place and look back in a month or two to see if I still think this road I’m travelling along still makes sense.
one thing I do know. Using a handful of apps along with affinity photo on the iPad is giving me more enjoyment I remember having in the old photoshop and sale camera days.

iPhone XR edited with distressed FX+ and infinity photo.View attachment 178039
I like it, it has a certain something. But saying textures are boring on Mobitog is like showing a vampire a garlic bulb :lol:
Not sure if you're critiquing your own image there but it is slightly angled (the Dutch angle as we now call it) it is blurred and it does have texture, all of which you say are old hat. But hey, like I say I'ts got something and I'm sure others will like it too. I particularly like the predatory nature of the bus, like its peeping around the corner hunting for victims. Have I said too much? ;)

Last edited:

It has some nice rich tones, a painterly feel and suggests a story. I like it.

I like it, it has a certain something. But saying textures are boring on Mobitog is like showing a vampire a garlic bulb :lol:
Not sure if you're critiquing your own image there but it is slightly angled (the Dutch angle as we now call it) it is blurred and it does have texture, all of which you say are old hat. But hey, like I say I'ts got something and I'm sure others will like it too. I particularly like the predatory nature of the bus, like its peeping around the corner hunting for victims. Have I said too much? ;)
Ah, i meant the comment re- textures differently. I said textures were old hat meaning the photo is bringing nothing new to the table compared to the images i used to make years ago. I did say blur is boring but meant it is probably boring to a lot of people because detail is missing.

Unfortunately my condition means that what i sometimes write or say can come out completely different.
Im rarely happy with any of my images and a lot of the time i wonder what made me think of keeping and editing them. Guess i need to just chill and be more forgiving on myself

Thanks for the great reply. and my apologies to any vampires if i offended them ‍Lol

I love the colours, the blur (which is just enough and not too much), the composition and, as sinnerjohn John says, that bus peeping around the corner. Good one.:thumbs:

rules are made to be broken, the important thing is to enjoy your process and the results. As far as 'going for a stroll' its a great idea for any artist:

After the last image in this thread i Wanted to try another edit but without textures this time, instead, trying to find the direction I was going in when I was into photoshop. I think I’m heading in that direction. I used this photo simply as an example to work on at first but that angle has grown on me. It shouldn’t but it has. Anyway, I’m putting the original and my experiment on here just to compare. Is it worth keeping? Photographic correctness says it’s a wreck. Voila! The likeness to myself is spot on, so in that regard, it’s a succes……I think.
affinity photo using layer blends, adjustment layers for dodge burning.
DE24AAA5-37F6-4C28-B1E0-B3A306243CB8.jpeg
43ED7DD1-9812-4837-9A0F-E9ED35CA718F.jpeg

After the last image in this thread i Wanted to try another edit but without textures this time, instead, trying to find the direction I was going in when I was into photoshop. I think I’m heading in that direction. I used this photo simply as an example to work on at first but that angle has grown on me. It shouldn’t but it has. Anyway, I’m putting the original and my experiment on here just to compare. Is it worth keeping? Photographic correctness says it’s a wreck. Voila! The likeness to myself is spot on, so in that regard, it’s a succes……I think.
affinity photo using layer blends, adjustment layers for dodge burning.
View attachment 178377View attachment 178378
Love the angle and both versions.

Back
Top Bottom