A Trained Eye

WOTANICUS

IOTM WInner - Sept 21
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
I love train journeys, especially when its through countryside, but moving through big cities gives plenty of scope for architectural and urban shots. Here are a few from a recent trip through Lancashire into Yorkshire.

ANYY0680[1].JPG
EVZD3374[1].JPG
DQKR1110[1].JPG

Last edited:
The majority of these images were taken on the fly, literally just holding the phone up to the carriage window and snapping away, while in a promising looking situation. I used a combination of Hipstamatic Classic with Blackeyes film, to capture the vintage b/w snapshot effect, Hipstamatic X, simply to get my shots in and the Iphone native camera just for speed. 80% of the shots were blurred and unuseable, due to the transition of the train, but now and then, it would run slowly enough through a junction that I could take a more considered approach. Great fun and bit of a lucky dip. I enjoyed sifting through the shots when I eventually got to my destination. Took a slightly different tack on the way back, as I had a better idea of what to expect and where, so i took a few more considered shots of my favourite parts of Manchester and Leeds.

I love train journeys, especially when its through countryside, but moving through big cities gives plenty of scope for architectural and urban shots. Here are a few from a recent trip through Lancashire into Yorkshire.

View attachment 168591View attachment 168590View attachment 168589

Shoddy & Mungo, love that! I have whole albums of stuff called 'Through the Train Window'. The ever changing scene, love it, it also helps that my train tickets are free :D
Super jealous!!!! I have never been on a train.

Super jealous!!!! I have never been on a train.
I have a friend that lives in Louisville Kentucky, she told me trains were mostly for freight, its almost unheard of for people to use trains. I have another friend that lives in Chicago who uses the train all the time for commuting. So I guess trains are different over there, here most towns and cities are connected with railway lines and people should use them more than they do. I wonder what Ted's terse take is on this over in Cali?

Of course I get that the UK is teeny and the USA is MASSIVE!!

Last edited:
its probably Khun Lo and Kodot Souvenir on Hip Classic, Kev. I'm a bugger for infra-red and colour shift combos. Really enjoying the IR film on Fimo. Autochrome is good on Hip, but not as profound. Gastown is gorgeous, but makes all the foliage look like its drought season!

I have a friend that lives in Louisville Kentucky, she told me trains were mostly for freight, its almost unheard of for people to use trains. I have another friend that lives in Chicago who uses the train all the time for commuting. So I guess trains are different over there, here most towns and cities are connected with railway lines and people should use them more than they do. I wonder what Ted's terse take is on this over in Cali?

Railroad crossings are all over, in fact Mike worked for the railroad for several years. And yes, we see mostly freight trains. Passenger trains are few and far between.

I wonder what Ted's @terse take is on this over in Cali?
Example: When my sister, who lives in Los Angeles (the state's largest city) wants to take a train to Sacramento (the state capital), she first has to take long-distance bus to a city in the Central Valley. Same if she takes the train from LA to Santa Cruz (with the result that the trip is 11-12 hours by train compared to around 6 by car). The passenger trains just aren't very convenient for most locations. There is a good interurban system in the San Francisco Bay Area (SF, parts of Silicon Valley, Oakland, Berkeley, ec.) that carries a lot of commuters. I think a lot of places that are now bedroom communities for SF, San Jose, and LA were nowhere hick towns when the rails were laid down.

Not to mention that California is the absolute home of car culture. :D Think: drive-through funeral homes (way way before Covid).:eek:

Example: When my sister, who lives in Los Angeles (the state's largest city) wants to take a train to Sacramento (the state capital), she first has to take long-distance bus to a city in the Central Valley. Same if she takes the train from LA to Santa Cruz (with the result that the trip is 11-12 hours by train compared to around 6 by car). The passenger trains just aren't very convenient for most locations. There is a good interurban system in the San Francisco Bay Area (SF, parts of Silicon Valley, Oakland, Berkeley, ec.) that carries a lot of commuters. I think a lot of places that are now bedroom communities for SF, San Jose, and LA were nowhere hick towns when the rails were laid down.

Not to mention that California is the absolute home of car culture. :D Think: drive-through funeral homes (way way before Covid).:eek:
Our closest train terminal is 25 miles away. Trains only go to the cities, buses every where else. In rural NY everyone has a car (or at least a tractor) to get places. If I want to bus to our nearby small city, Auburn, (8 miles) I need to leave at 8am and can’t come back until 4pm. We are a two car family.

Our closest train terminal is 25 miles away. Trains only go to the cities, buses every where else. In rural NY everyone has a car (or at least a tractor) to get places. If I want to bus to our nearby small city, Auburn, (8 miles) I need to leave at 8am and can’t come back until 4pm. We are a two car family.
Sounds too familiar. We're only 10-12 minutes from Santa Cruz, even less to slightly smaller Scotts Valley, but we don't even have bus service.

View attachment 168591View attachment 168590View attachment 168589
Fabulous. I love riding trains and shooting through the window. I’ve fairly recently moved to the west coast of the US and sadly the public transportation here sucks… I miss riding trains.

New York City & Chicago, yep, for sure… street cars/trams and the BART subway in San Francisco… but most of the US doesn’t have anything unless you’re doing a long Amtrak trip. If I were the Queen of the Country I’d put public transport everywhere! :mobibabe::smirkcat:

Last edited:
When my sister, who lives in Los Angeles (the state's largest city) wants to take a train to Sacramento (the state capital), she first has to take long-distance bus to a city in the Central Valley. Same if she takes the train from LA to Santa Cruz (with the result that the trip is 11-12 hours by train compared to around 6 by car).
SO. DUMB. L.A. should have a massive public train system.

Think: drive-through funeral homes (way way before Covid).:eek:
:barf:

Back
Top Bottom