AC (Album Cover) #6 Classic Rock RESULT

WOTANICUS

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
I used t teach a HND graphic and digital design course at college a few years back and this sort of artwork was frequently part of the course syllabus, using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop on Mac and Pc. This was way before the phone became such a powerful force in art. I think the key to this situation is 'created on', here - especially for a challenge of this nature, as the practicality of arranging a dedicated photo shoot for any one of these covers would be beyond most peoples ability without some serious resources.

A lot of the artwork here is made with art, photography and painting apps, some of which do not include photographic material gathered by phone cameras. But crucially, the art is conceived and created on a mobile device. It may include elements gathered from other sources, but the final image is made using a phone or tablet. Providing nobody just nicks a stock photo from Google and plonks some letting on it, I feel we should allow a little 'creative freedom' with these sort of challenges.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I'll run this till the end of the week now, if anyone has an urge to create more.

I have to say when I started the thread up again I thought I might enjoy doing some covers of my own, but honestly its no longer my thing. I'll leave it to the artists. I also didn't think about the stock image argument, but hey ho.

I'll judge this one as I've not took part, then if we want to carry on, the winner of this will choose 4 more covers/judge and we can go again.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Yeah, its sort of a political statement,
View attachment 171221
This particular song is one of my least favorites, partly because I’m not really much of a Springsteen fan, but mostly because of it’s total misuse as a patriotic ballad alongside “America the Beautiful” on Independence Day. It is NOT a “celebrate the USA” song. It’s a ballad about how horribly the Viet Nam vets were treated when they returned home. Another in a long line of not so great American moments.

Sorry about that.

Edit: BTW, image of the Statue of Liberty from Pixabay. Infinite Painter has a “search“ option on it’s Insert Image tab.
Not quite sure what you're saying here Star, surely Springsteen was highlighting the Vietnam Vets cause,
"Son, understand, if it was up to me ...
'Bout half the town's out of work
Ain't nothin' for you here
From the assembly line to the front line
But I guess you didn't hear:
You died in Vietnam."

The misappropriation of the song is more due to the ignorance of the American right wing. I'm not a huge Springsteen fan either but his influence on American rock music can't be ignored.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I think this has ran long enough so I'm going to close and sum up my thoughts. Comments, ideas and criticism always welcome.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
So I'll award a winner for each Album then an overall winner.

For Pink Floyd's DSOTM WOTANICUS
13262c69-a361-446b-9818-f5135a4654e3-jpeg.170376

Straight out of the gate with a very interesting take on Floyd's classic dip into madness and all things dark.
HM to lkbside who's very well executed design could have also been a winner.

Born in the USA - deepop
20d99c6a-9941-4010-a014-00c61c6d5c3f-jpeg.170677

Great image, definitely a photo! Summing up the faded glory of the title song's theme.
HM to WOTANICUS with a very stylish Bruce cover.

Rumours - zenjenny
96e7fde9-6fbc-4ea3-9c04-72efef394038-jpeg.170492

Love this, reminded me of a Winne the Pooh illustration for some reason (I have a weakness for WTP)
HM to deepop with an almost photoshoot b/w Rumours cover.

tbc

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Meat is Murder - The Smiths ( a little known British band Star ;) ) JillyG
3cac9ea0-7137-4e93-825b-4ae378301e7e-png.170770

I think deepop David describes it better than I ever could with 'Georgia O’Keefe on drugs'
I'll give Starzee the HM for her attempt, even though she wasn't familiar with the material :thumbs:
I think the least attempted album on the list, difficult one.

JillyG

IOTM Winner - September 2020 & January 2021
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Meat is Murder - The Smiths ( a little known British band Star ;) ) JillyG
3cac9ea0-7137-4e93-825b-4ae378301e7e-png.170770

I think deepop David describes it better than I ever could with 'Georgia O’Keefe on drugs'
I'll give Starzee the HM for her attempt, even though she wasn't familiar with the material :thumbs:
I think the least attempted album on the list, difficult one.
:lol: Thank you. The skull is from an anatomical poster in an antique/vintage shop. I saw it and immediately thought it might come in handy for The Smiths‘ album cover. See, I’m always thinking of Mobitog!:D

WOTANICUS

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
Excellent judging Sj, I think the Floyd album was possibly the easiest, given my interests and the style of the music. Springsteen and Rumours were always going to be tricky, both from their position as iconic albums and given the style of music. A great fun challenge! congrats all round!

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Overall winner - zenjenny for Rumours
96e7fde9-6fbc-4ea3-9c04-72efef394038-jpeg.170492

What initially seems like a very simple illustration kept me coming back. What is the figure doing in the long grass? Is he hiding, or waiting for someone? Is his hat disguising him? Is that a newspaper he's holding? Is it symbolic? I'll be carrying a rolled up newspaper when you see me?

Thankfully homosexuality is now widely excepted in the western world (still outlawed in some Middle Eastern countries) but when I was growing up in the 60's, it was still illegal in the UK. Not till 1967 was it officially legalised. Something that always astounds me, as if being born one way or another is something that can be legal or not.
The illustration made me think of people hiding or arranging secret rendezvous, or is it it just Rumours? Well done zenjenny.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Now the difficult part. I've not mentioned rizole even though he put in some great editions. As I've mentioned already, its a very difficult challenge to do without resorting to stock images in one way or another. Also not having photoshop available makes it even harder.

I think it was worth resurrecting the challenge, if only to see if it CAN be done on mobile using mobile photos/mobile illustrations.
Again it was partially successful with some great images, some I didn't even have room to mention.

Do we want it to become a regular feature? I'm personally not sure, I didn't take part even though I instigated it. But I'm happy to set it up again if Jen picks some album covers and is happy to judge next time around.
But maybe we need some definite rules around this that are ADMIN backed?

Thoughts anyone?

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Not quite sure what you're saying here Star, surely Springsteen was highlighting the Vietnam Vets cause,
"Son, understand, if it was up to me ...
'Bout half the town's out of work
Ain't nothin' for you here
From the assembly line to the front line
But I guess you didn't hear:
You died in Vietnam."

The misappropriation of the song is more due to the ignorance of the American right wing. I'm not a huge Springsteen fan either but his influence on American rock music can't be ignored.
Yes! You definitely get the song. But it’s not a patriotic American anthem as it’s portrayed on our national holidays. It very much points out a flaw in the American Dream. A huge amount of people thinks it celebrates America and use it to show pride. They didn’t listen to any other words except “born in the USA.”

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I think it was worth resurrecting the challenge, if only to see if it CAN be done on mobile using mobile photos/mobile illustrations.
Again it was partially successful with some great images, some I didn't even have room to mention.

Do we want it to become a regular feature? I'm personally not sure, I didn't take part even though I instigated it. But I'm happy to set it up again if Jen picks some album covers and is happy to judge next time around.
But maybe we need some definite rules around this that are ADMIN backed?
I asked because I am unsure of the bottom line. I was directed to the “help” tab at the bottom of the page. Here is what it says.

Welcome to MobiTog

MobiTog is a community dedicated to mobile photography: Images created and edited entirely on mobile phones or tablets using iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Symbian, or other systems.

On MobiTog, you can share images, comments, critiques, and information in a relaxed and supportive atmosphere with members from around the world. All members are welcome (and encouraged!) to post images, add comments, ask for help and critiques, and start new forum discussion threads.

Please note:

• Be courteous in your comments and critiques.
  • All images must be created and edited entirely on mobile devices.
  • You must have the right to post any image you upload, either because it is yours, because you have permission from the rights holder, or because it is in the public domain
That seems to suggest you may use the public domain images to create your image on your mobile device. I, personally rarely use an image that isn’t mine unless I have a concrete idea for something and don’t have an image and don’t have a way to get that image. I don’t know if this straightens things out or muddles them further. But I’m off to google Symbian.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
because it is in the public domain
I would interpret that as uploading an image or a YouTube video that is used as an example, not used as part of you own work. Using something you didn't create yourself has to be against the rules surely?
But hell I'm not an authority!

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I would interpret that as uploading an image or a YouTube video that is used as an example, not used as part of you own work. Using something you didn't create yourself has to be against the rules surely?
But hell I'm not an authority!
I‘m probably not done thinking about this, and I’m sure others will chime in, but my feeling is this: Don’t even think of posting someone else’s image and claiming it as your own in one of the photography challenges. Not likely around here, but it has happened in the past. :rolleyes:If you use an image not your own in one of the more “arty” challenges (APPStract, AC, etc. or your own album, 365) say so and acknowledge the owner, if you know it. Presumably it will be part of a larger creation.

And if you need something you don’t have there is always the Wrecking Yard if it’s for Mobitog only!

rizole

IOTM Winner - June & August 2020 + April 2021
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Huawei
Using something you didn't create yourself has to be against the rules surely?
Where's the line on that though?
That's a rhetorical question, I'm not expecting answers but to put it in context, frames, stickers, light leaks, lens flares, any library of what ever resource that adds extra pixels are in many apps, all created by other people.
I use 3 apps other than snapseed - pixart, pixlr and toolwiz - all have libraries of stock, some of which are actual pictures ,you can apply in your edit, all of which have been created by someone else. I've seen plenty of pics onsite that have a moon or star scape in that isn't actually in the original pic. If anything, I'd argue that those kinds of additions are fundamental in creative image output.

Don’t even think of posting someone else’s image and claiming it as your own
Agreed.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
frames, stickers, light leaks, lens flares, any library of what ever resource that adds extra pixels are in many apps, all created by other people.
True enough, but a frame or light leak isn't the major component of the image. I get where you are coming from though, I'm not here to uphold the rules just generate some kind of debate (that admittedly we've probably already had in the past).

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
*cough*
excuse me interrupting this exposition, but I’m sure there’s an adoring public . . . Or I’d like to thank my mother . . . And of course I couldn’t have done it without . . .
And when all is said and done, thank you sinnerjohn John, never quite sure what to say /think when you like something of mine, the reference was to the last stanza of the song and yes absolutely I’ve already picked four please and thank you :)

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
*cough*
excuse me interrupting this exposition, but I’m sure there’s an adoring public . . . Or I’d like to thank my mother . . . And of course I couldn’t have done it without . . .
And when all is said and done, thank you sinnerjohn John, never quite sure what to say /think when you like something of mine, the reference was to the last stanza of the song and yes absolutely I’ve already picked four please and thank you :)
Second hand news.....Your welcome, probably best not to think too deeply!! Message me the album titles and I'll make it so.

p.s. I think people have forgotten to congratulate you :lmao:

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
*cough*
Standing ovation!!! It is a wonderfully understated album cover. And I agree with the Winnie the Pooh comparison.

terse

IOTM Winner - May & Nov 2020 & June & July 2021
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Don’t even think of posting someone else’s image and claiming it as your own in one of the photography challenges. Not likely around here, but it has happened in the past.
Why yes, I've done that. :lmao: I once posted one of sinnerjohn's images thinking it was my own. (I don't remember why I had downloaded it to my Camera Roll, but it'd been there long enough that I'd forgotten it wasn't mine. Then when I saw it again, I thought "Hey, that looks pretty good!"