• > STAY SAFE - WEAR A MASK - or whatever way you choose to deal with this thing! MobiMembers - The situation is still currently serious, & increasing yet again! Heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others. Let's help each other stay sane in our distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt & all our MobiStaff... x x <

Discussion: Accessories for the iPhone 7+

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Now that there is the possibility of an amazing holiday to Namibia in March next year, I want to make sure that I have all the gear that I need/want! Especially with Xmas in the way when I can put forward some options to the DH :sneaky:.

I have no good lenses for the iPhone 7+ and still wonder if this is a bit of a hole in my arsenal. With such vast landscapes I wonder if a good wide angle lens isn't a necessity? I also want to invest in some lenses that are going to last longer than just the lifetime of the iPhone 7 so I am looking at lenses with 37mm threads. I like the look of the Helium Core for the iPhone 7+ https://heliumcine.com/blogs/general/helium-core-iphone-7-plus. FundyBrian, you might be interested to know that the Moment lenses with the plate work with this. Then I can get good quality lenses which will also fit with such rigs as the beastgrip if I decide to go this way in the future. My only concern is that my iPhone 7+ only just fits into my gimbal as it is and this might take it over the edge. Having said that, with this kind of landscape, a good quality tripod might be more useful anyway. I'm also thinking of getting an anamorphic lens.

So, this is my wish list and I would be grateful if anybody has any useful advice or additions to this list:
(1) Good quality light-weight tripod that can be used for a DSLR as well.
(2) A 360 degree tripod head for time-lapse. I haven't done much research into this yet. I wonder if a cheap one will suffice? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C9AK...n=m7Sq4pESjzXy4vIKQYu2uw&tag=hearstmagazin-21
(3) Macro, wide-angle and anamorphic lenses. Moment or Exolenses for the first two?
(4) Possible extra light such as the Blazr?

Finally, do I buy myself one of those smart zoom lenses that I attach to my iphone like the Kodak PixPro? I don't view this as true iphoneography but with wildlife I feel exposed without a good zoom camera?

What I already have:
I will be using my shoulderpod to attach my iPhone to a tripod and might get some more of this rig to attach my microphone. I also have a remote control so don't need one of those. I have a small gorilla pod as a small tripod. I have a gimbal and microphone.

All advice gratefully appreciated!

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
(1) How tall do you need it to be when extended? When I was hunting for a packable tripod, I found that some of them cut the weight and folded size by cutting the extended height. I ended up with a Sirui T-005 (the aluminum one, not the more expensive but lighter graphite). It's workable and folds down to about 13 inches. It does have 360 degree rotation. Extends to 54 inches, I think, and weighs a little over 2 pounds.

(3) The only Moment lens I have is the telephoto, which suffers from purple fringing. But the new wide-angle is supposed to be exceptional (and likewise the v. expensive Zeiss). The new Moment mounting system is a big improvement over the old, but it also means that now you have to get a Moment case to mount the lenses. However, they now offer a battery case, which I have and which works quite well (and charges with a lightning cable). Although all the lenses they offer now are advertised as V2, they make it clear on the web site that only the wide-angle has improved glass; the other lenses are the same as the old, just with the new mount.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
(1) How tall do you need it to be when extended? When I was hunting for a packable tripod, I found that some of them cut the weight and folded size by cutting the extended height. I ended up with a Sirui T-005 (the aluminum one, not the more expensive but lighter graphite). It's workable and folds down to about 13 inches. It does have 360 degree rotation. Extends to 54 inches, I think, and weighs a little over 2 pounds.

(3) The only Moment lens I have is the telephoto, which suffers from purple fringing. But the new wide-angle is supposed to be exceptional (and likewise the v. expensive Zeiss). The new Moment mounting system is a big improvement over the old, but it also means that now you have to get a Moment case to mount the lenses. However, they now offer a battery case, which I have and which works quite well (and charges with a lightning cable). Although all the lenses they offer now are advertised as V2, they make it clear on the web site that only the wide-angle has improved glass; the other lenses are the same as the old, just with the new mount.
Your tripod sounds great. Just the thing I was looking for. I have a good monopod and wondered whether this might be adequate but then I remembered that I want to take a lot of time lapse.

I'm not going to bother about a telephoto lens unless we are talking about serious zoom. The existing lenses don't improve on the 7+'s own lens. I do however want a serious wide-angle and I still miss the macro lenses I had with my 6.

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Your tripod sounds great. Just the thing I was looking for. I have a good monopod and wondered whether this might be adequate but then I remembered that I want to take a lot of time lapse.
One thing I'd add about the Sirui I have (and by extension, all the other compact models that look similar) -- it's a bit fiddly to unfold, extend, and set up. It's not bad, but it's not something you can whip out and be ready to shoot in a flash. I never found that to be a problem.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
One thing I'd add about the Sirui I have (and by extension, all the other compact models that look similar) -- it's a bit fiddly to unfold, extend, and set up. It's not bad, but it's not something you can whip out and be ready to shoot in a flash. I never found that to be a problem.
Maybe I will take my mono too - it's so lightweight and 'packable'. I'm trying to encourage my DH to use one more often. I think I'm going to book a private lesson with a pro photographer before we go as a birthday present and hopefully he will get more into using a tripod.