Affinity Photo Editor for iPad

I will be awaiting your take on the 10.5. I am considering the 12.9 for my next electronic super purchase, but I wonder if it will be too big?
I LOVE my big iPad Pro. I wouldn't go for smaller. It just makes it so much easier to do art. Star, you are an artist. You should get the big size. If you look at Dave's picture of me with my Owl backpack, it fits in there no problem. It's like the iPhone 7. You wouldn't change back once you have it.

I LOVE my big iPad Pro. I wouldn't go for smaller. It just makes it so much easier to do art. Star, you are an artist. You should get the big size. If you look at Dave's picture of me with my Owl backpack, it fits in there no problem. It's like the iPhone 7. You wouldn't change back once you have it.

I'm planning on retiring in December. I believe you've helped me pick my gift to myself!

I bought Affinity two days ago...WOW WE...what a program. Very sophisticated. It's got it's learning curve no doubt with the many options and menus. But...it runs well on my ipad pro 9.7 with the Apple pencil. I love Snapseed...but google says no more support for it. SAD. But Affinity could be a great one stop app to play with images and improve images. Look forward to learning it well. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I bought Affinity two days ago...WOW WE...what a program. Very sophisticated. It's got it's learning curve no doubt with the many options and menus. But...it runs well on my ipad pro 9.7 with the Apple pencil. I love Snapseed...but google says no more support for it. SAD. But Affinity could be a great one stop app to play with images and improve images. Look forward to learning it well. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Google aren't supporting Snapseed anymore?? That's sad. The best quick one stop improvement app and it's going to go. I would pay for it to keep it supported. Or is the idea to bring out a new one which they will charge for? Another reason to keep a device which will not be upgraded.

What? No Snapseed? It's only one of the most popular go-to apps, certainly here on Mobi. :eek::eek::eek: Yes, three shocked face emojis - that's how serious it is. Good luck with Affinity. It's certainly a major app.

DVDs are cheap. I currently have 2267 DVDs full of file backups, photos, projects, video clips. No TV programs saved. Just my own video. How many iXpands would that be?

Ok everybody. Hold the presses. Fake news or my age played a dirty game.
I was sure I recently read that google had come to the end of it's cycle with Snapseed. Could I be wrong.
Check this link out for details.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/31/google-nik-collection-photo-editing/

My bad if your heart skipped a few heats. I love Snapseed.

Phew. And ... relax and breathe. :) Thanks for the update Carlos. I read that same article and I didn't notice that Snapseed wasn't included, so don't feel bad. :thumbs:

DVDs are cheap. I currently have 2267 DVDs full of file backups, photos, projects, video clips. No TV programs saved. Just my own video. How many iXpands would that be?
My iXpand is 128GB but it's only as a mode of transfer or to keep a few things handy that I access regularly. A bit easier than putting 20-40 DVDs in my pocket! All other backups are on duplicate 2 terabyte hard drives. All my lifetime photographs and videos fit onto one of these. But honestly, Brian, how do you find what you want if you have to wade through 2267 DVDs to find anything?

Ok everybody. Hold the presses. Fake news or my age played a dirty game.
I was sure I recently read that google had come to the end of it's cycle with Snapseed. Could I be wrong.
Check this link out for details.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/31/google-nik-collection-photo-editing/

My bad if your heart skipped a few heats. I love Snapseed.
My heart actually skipped two beats. I felt sick. I couldn't believe I might lose it....but then came Affinity Photo and I realized quickly that it may well become my go-to app soon enough.

There’s been no new activity on this thread since June. Have all Affinity users gone to sleep trying to figure it out?
When are we going to hear something about focus stacking or 360 panorama stitching?
How do the burning and dodging tools work? You can always tell a lot about a program by how well it handles those two most basic tools. A lot of apps have to use masks to achieve burning and dodging and you need a new layer for each additional pass of the brush.

There’s been no new activity on this thread since June. Have all Affinity users gone to sleep trying to figure it out?
When are we going to hear something about focus stacking or 360 panorama stitching?
How do the burning and dodging tools work? You can always tell a lot about a program by how well it handles those two most basic tools. A lot of apps have to use masks to achieve burning and dodging and you need a new layer for each additional pass of the brush.
I'm going to spend the Xmas period getting up to scratch with Affinity. I needed to use the clone tool and was HUGELY impressed with it. It takes into account the colour of the area you are patching and blends it in. So if you want to repair skin, it doesn't stick out if the colour is slightly different.

In Affinity, let’s suppose you have a 3 layer document, and you apply a layer affect to the middle layer. Is the layer below it also affected or just the middle layer?

In Affinity RAW file processing, do you have access to lens corrections for your chosen camera lens?

So I’m wondering what opinions are concerning the 12.9” iPad Pro vs 10.x”. Why go to an iPad and pick the small one? Especially if you have any interest in drawing/painting. Obviously the big one is a bit less portable. Does anyone carry their iPad around “in the field” so to speak?
Does anyone have the cellular model?
I used to photograph with an iPad and it’s a totally different experience with the big screen to see what you’re doing. I did it just the way I used to use a 4x5 view camera. With a tripod and using a black cloth over my head to see the screen better. What a flashback it was. The old groundglass was never as clear and bright as the iPad.
I took this from the other thread. I have the big iPad Pro and I wouldn't change it for the smaller one. I have an iPad Mini for this and I feel my iPhone 7+ is big enough anyway. Interestingly I tend to take my iPad Pro with me over and above the Mini if I know I might be sitting somewhere and having a coffee. This is partly because it has cellular and now I don't have to worry about not having wifi. I always thought there was enough wifi around not to worry about getting the cellular model but now I wouldn't buy an ipad without it. It is particularly useful if you are overseas and want to get a SIM card for that country. I have a data only SIM in now which costs me £10 a month and I never run out. As my iPhone only has pay-as-you-go, I don't have any other big mobile phone charges. I tend to take a shopping bag with me everywhere I go anyway just in case I buy anything so I just pop it in there. If I go up to London, I just take my small backpack.

I think the bigger size is essential for painting and drawing and what seems good on an iPhone, doesn't always look so good when it's 'blown up' on the Pro.

In Affinity, let’s suppose you have a 3 layer document, and you apply a layer affect to the middle layer. Is the layer below it also affected or just the middle layer?

In Affinity RAW file processing, do you have access to lens corrections for your chosen camera lens?
It works just like Photoshop. So it has adjustment layers too which will only affect the layer below it unless the layer below it is blended to the bottom layer. You can also apply a mask to an adjustment layer.

With regard to your second question, I haven't done any RAW file processing on the iPad so I wouldn't know. Have you tried to Google it? There's quite a lot of techie responses on this thread:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/affinity-photo-for-ipad-review/2

Me too will give Affinity a try once things calm down at work in the end of January. I also have Affinity on my PC, but haven’t started to use that either. But they just released a work book - old-fashioned book made of paper. It seems like something I could use. It is all about the PC and Mac versions but I guess most thing applies to the app version too
IMG_8706.JPG

I’m still waiting to hear how Brian finds stuff in his 2k DVDs :mobibabe: :appsir: :alien:
Oh sorry. Didn't realize anyone was interested in my filing system. I use a program called NeoFinder to catalog my backups, whether on DVD or external drives. It makes a searchable list of everything on the DVD including thumbnails. I have 35 categories saved in folders. For instance all photos from my iPhone 7 Plus are in that category and I keep only iPhone 7 photos on those DVDs. Numbered iPhone 7-1 to iPhone 7-xxx. Likewise each other camera, iPhone 5, iPhone 6, GoPro3Plus, Olympus TG-4, etc. Then there are backup files for just about everything else. System files, Image Bank files, Photos back-up (this is mostly completed more complex edits from PhotoShop), Raw Video Files, Edited Video Clips, Video Project Files, and several other work project files, etc.
Current DVD count 2341. The DVDs are in sleeves in drawers grouped in categories. Once a search has determined that the image in question is on iPhone 7-25 I just go to where the iPhone 7 DVDs are and look for #25. They are in order, of course.
After my photos have been imported using Lightroom and the initial metadata added, picks and duds, ratings, superficial edits then they are all backed up before anything is discarded. Only the picks go on to my Image Bank.
I file my finished photos in a category system in my Image Bank so they are likewise easy to find, even without a search.

It works just like Photoshop. So it has adjustment layers too which will only affect the layer below it unless the layer below it is blended to the bottom layer. You can also apply a mask to an adjustment layer.

With regard to your second question, I haven't done any RAW file processing on the iPad so I wouldn't know. Have you tried to Google it? There's quite a lot of techie responses on this thread:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/affinity-photo-for-ipad-review/2
No I haven't tried searching online
Ultimately, RAW files are the only way to go to avoid all the over-processing and noise reduction smearing built into iOS.

Back
Top Bottom