Affinity Photo Editor for iPad

juryjone

MobiLurver
Real Name
Jerry Jobe
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
The new behemoth on the block. A complicated piece of software that costs well more than the average ($20 now, moving to $30 later). Able to handle DSLR-sized files, RAW files, even PSD files. What does it contribute? Is it worth it for the average mobile photographer?

Let me say first that I am coming at it as a complete newbie. Affinity started as a Photoshop replacement for Macs. My desktop is a Windows machine, so I've never used the desktop version. However, it looked promising enough that I have no problem spending less than the cost of a dinner out (with drinks, at a moderately-priced restaurant).

I haven't experimented a lot yet, but I used three features on the image below. The left side got a little washed out from the strong light, even though I used vividHDR to capture it.

IMG_6859.JPG

I was able to correct the washed-out area with Dehazing. I used the Tone Mapping module to improve the tonal contrast, then added some Clarity. None of them was applied at full strength.

IMG_2381.JPG

It was a bit of a struggle to duplicate a selection to a new layer and add a drop shadow. As I said, there are a lot of features, and there's a STEEP learning curve.

IMG_2382.JPG

There's non-destructive adjustment layers, clipping adjustments to layers, smart filters that can be adjusted afterwards. There's a Refine Selection option that looks pretty powerful, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. There's resizing, but I haven't had a chance to compare it to Big Photo.

So is anybody out there who jumped right on it like I did? Anybody that has used the desktop version and is happy to see it on the iPad?

The new behemoth on the block. A complicated piece of software that costs well more than the average ($20 now, moving to $30 later). Able to handle DSLR-sized files, RAW files, even PSD files. What does it contribute? Is it worth it for the average mobile photographer?

Let me say first that I am coming at it as a complete newbie. Affinity started as a Photoshop replacement for Macs. My desktop is a Windows machine, so I've never used the desktop version. However, it looked promising enough that I have no problem spending less than the cost of a dinner out (with drinks, at a moderately-priced restaurant).

I haven't experimented a lot yet, but I used three features on the image below. The left side got a little washed out from the strong light, even though I used vividHDR to capture it.

View attachment 94762

I was able to correct the washed-out area with Dehazing. I used the Tone Mapping module to improve the tonal contrast, then added some Clarity. None of them was applied at full strength.

View attachment 94763

It was a bit of a struggle to duplicate a selection to a new layer and add a drop shadow. As I said, there are a lot of features, and there's a STEEP learning curve.

View attachment 94764

There's non-destructive adjustment layers, clipping adjustments to layers, smart filters that can be adjusted afterwards. There's a Refine Selection option that looks pretty powerful, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. There's resizing, but I haven't had a chance to compare it to Big Photo.

So is anybody out there who jumped right on it like I did? Anybody that has used the desktop version and is happy to see it on the iPad?

I'm very tempted to check it out, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around icolorama. Think I'll just wait for the tutorials. (Hint)

I'm very tempted to check it out, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around icolorama. Think I'll just wait for the tutorials. (Hint)

There are a number of video tutorials built right in. Help is limited beyond that, though. It seems that they assume the user is adding the iPad version to their repertoire to augment their desktop copy of Affinity.

Here's a link to one of their tutorials.

The only similarity between Affinity and iColorama is the depth of the program. They operate differently from each other. The possibility of me creating enough worthwhile tutorials for Affinity is not great.

DSLR, Photoshop replacement, shall I play Devil's advocate here and ask are we going beyond 'mobile photography' ?

The answer is definitely yes. Affinity was built for the same market as Photoshop: professional and semi-professional photographers who use all sorts of cameras.

But the answer is also no. "We" are not the creators of Affinity. This community is made of mobile photographers and artists. We will not be using all of Affinity's capabilities, but it has the potential of being very useful to us. My example photo is a mobile photo, and it was edited on a mobile device.

View attachment 94762

View attachment 94763

View attachment 94764

Wow, I love what you've done to this image. It's amazing.

View attachment 94762

View attachment 94763

View attachment 94764

Amazing transformation. :inlove:

There are a number of video tutorials built right in. Help is limited beyond that, though. It seems that they assume the user is adding the iPad version to their repertoire to augment their desktop copy of Affinity.

Here's a link to one of their tutorials.

The only similarity between Affinity and iColorama is the depth of the program. They operate differently from each other. The possibility of me creating enough worthwhile tutorials for Affinity is not great.

I realize they are different animals. I just meant I already have enough with iColorama (I am getting better at it. ) to add another learning curve. Of course it's too late. I've gone bought the thing.

Well, I couldn't resist....However, when I tried to download it, it said I didn't have iOS 10.3 which I can't download because I don't have internet URGGGGHHHH. Groan. Looks like I'm walking into town to get my operating system updated!

There are 2 features in particular that I think will be important.

Image stitching - for assembling panorama images - remember that thread for people looking for a replacement for Autostitch?

Image stacking - focus stacking on iPhone is still hindered by no in-device processing. There is an app that can shoot the focus stack of images (Stay Focused) but it started out doing online processing. Now they have has shut down the processing server and are working on a different solution, but in the meantime the only way to finish the stack is by taking them into Photoshop on computer.
With image stacking they also have HDR processing so there is the chance for a new level of HDR capability.

With this topic of the new Affinity it is worth noting that Affinity for Mac is the first serious challenger to Photoshop that has come along in a long time. Adobe has a habit of buying out any competition. I felt Macromedia Freehand was superior to Illustrator but Adobe bought it and it disappeared. We are certainly at a time when there are lots of people who are very glad to see an alternative to Photoshop that doesn't involve a monthly subscription.

Similarly there is the New Aurora HDR software for Mac (which I bought because it has a different look than Photomatix, which I already had) and, even newer, Luminar - which is described as a competitor for Lightroom. I looked at getting that one, too, but reviews I have read/watched indicate that although it does a good job at all the things we use Lightroom for, it has a slightly wonky system for managing layers which causes saved project files to be enormous, memory wise. I remember thinking at the time that it might be workable on the Mac but on a mobile device that would be a deal breaker. It is something like that I'm watching out for with Affinity.

My iPad is too old to run it. [emoji30]

Well, I couldn't resist....However, when I tried to download it, it said I didn't have iOS 10.3 which I can't download because I don't have internet URGGGGHHHH. Groan. Looks like I'm walking into town to get my operating system updated!

I feel great sympathy for both of you [emoji7]. If it makes you feel better my internet connection is unbearably slow today [emoji34][emoji6]

With this topic of the new Affinity it is worth noting that Affinity for Mac is the first serious challenger to Photoshop that has come along in a long time. Adobe has a habit of buying out any competition. I felt Macromedia Freehand was superior to Illustrator but Adobe bought it and it disappeared. We are certainly at a time when there are lots of people who are very glad to see an alternative to Photoshop that doesn't involve a monthly subscription.

Similarly there is the New Aurora HDR software for Mac (which I bought because it has a different look than Photomatix, which I already had) and, even newer, Luminar - which is described as a competitor for Lightroom. I looked at getting that one, too, but reviews I have read/watched indicate that although it does a good job at all the things we use Lightroom for, it has a slightly wonky system for managing layers which causes saved project files to be enormous, memory wise. I remember thinking at the time that it might be workable on the Mac but on a mobile device that would be a deal breaker. It is something like that I'm watching out for with Affinity.

And both Aurora and Luminar will be released in PC versions, perhaps already the coming autumn

WOW is all I can say. FundyBrian if you wanted an app to do everything, this just might be it. This is going to take weeks to learn. On the one hand, I'm very excited. On the other hand, gosh, another piece of complex software to get to know. I thought I had given up programming because I was sick of learning new languages. Now it's starting all over again!

I've had experience with Serif PC products in the past being a bit buggy so will be interesting to see how stable this is.

Move over Photoshop. They sure have missed a trick which they must be kicking themselves about now. Suffering from arrogance I would say. The question is, is it worth getting the desktop version of Affinity? It's just been reduced to £38. This may at last be an AFFORDABLE professional desktop app to rival Photoshop.

WOW is all I can say. FundyBrian if you wanted an app to do everything, this just might be it. This is going to take weeks to learn. On the one hand, I'm very excited. On the other hand, gosh, another piece of complex software to get to know. I thought I had given up programming because I was sick of learning new languages. Now it's starting all over again!

I've had experience with Serif PC products in the past being a bit buggy so will be interesting to see how stable this is.

Move over Photoshop. They sure have missed a trick which they must be kicking themselves about now. Suffering from arrogance I would say. The question is, is it worth getting the desktop version of Affinity? It's just been reduced to £38. This may at last be an AFFORDABLE professional desktop app to rival Photoshop.

In fact, I was just looking at the desktop version of Affinity this morning. I already have Photoshop 6. I decided to stick with the non-subscription version as long as I can. And I'm so used to it after many years.
You're right about Adobe missing the boat on mobile devices. They are still stuck on trying to get everyone to move their mobile photos over the desktop computer through their storm cloud system. They haven't yet figured out that people want an entirely mobile solution, not one that is only a part of the desktop system.

In fact, I was just looking at the desktop version of Affinity this morning. I already have Photoshop 6. I decided to stick with the non-subscription version as long as I can. And I'm so used to it after many years.
You're right about Adobe missing the boat on mobile devices. They are still stuck on trying to get everyone to move their mobile photos over the desktop computer through their storm cloud system. They haven't yet figured out that people want an entirely mobile solution, not one that is only a part of the desktop system.
AND they refuse to accept that people hate, no loath, subscription services. I bought Photoshop 6 too just before they went to subscription. I wish I had done the same with Adobe Illustrator although having said that the free Inkscape software has been more than adequate for any vector requirements I have had.

Well, if Affinity on the iPad is the business then it makes sense to get the desktop if only to print. This has always been my problem. I have had to have either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to print images in various sizes. I'm interested to know if it does a good job of this.

I am hoping it will be an alternative to the $10 monthly subscription I have to Photoshop.

I was playing with the iPad version last night and I agree with the learning curve. I could not, for the life of me, change the color of the font. I finally deleted it, retyped and changed to every color in the rainbow.

And so it begins....

As exciting as Affinity for iPad sounds it won't really hit the masses until they come out with an iPhone version
I just think it's way too powerful for the iPhone. All those menus and stuff. I'd go insane trying to do that on a tiny phone screen. No, I think this is directed at the professionals and wannabe artists like us :lol:. Too difficult for the ordinary man in the street just wanting to clean up a photograph - as was Photoshop. Snapseed does that.

Back
Top Bottom