Affinity Photo Editor for iPad

Slightly off the mobile topic, but does anyone know a good resource for free Affinity (desktop) presets, either Tone Mapping or LUTS?
Or maybe the ipad version can load presets I don't know?

Slightly off the mobile topic, but does anyone know a good resource for free Affinity (desktop) presets, either Tone Mapping or LUTS?
Or maybe the ipad version can load presets I don't know?
As long as you’re off topic, how do you like the desktop Affinity? I’m on the verge of cancelling my Photoshop/Lightroom subscription and going with Affinity as long as Lightroom will still function.

As long as you’re off topic, how do you like the desktop Affinity? I’m on the verge of cancelling my Photoshop/Lightroom subscription and going with Affinity as long as Lightroom will still function.
I think the 'deskop' version of Affinity is way faster than Photoshop. My ipad isn't new enough to run the mobile version btw.
It seems to have all the functions of Photoshop and its more like photoshop than Lightroom. I've only had it for a few days but from what I've seen it can easily replace Photoshop.

I also have the desktop version of Lightroom (without any subscription) which I much prefer to Photoshop. I'd like Affinity even more if I can find a way to import more presets, its a shame the Lightroom presets won't work with Affinity. OK they will it seems, but its not simple, or so I've read.
My last two IG posts were Affinity desktop edits.

I'm all for being free of subscription !

I think the 'deskop' version of Affinity is way faster than Photoshop. My ipad isn't new enough to run the mobile version btw.
It seems to have all the functions of Photoshop and its more like photoshop than Lightroom. I've only had it for a few days but from what I've seen it can easily replace Photoshop.

I also have the desktop version of Lightroom (without any subscription) which I much prefer to Photoshop. I'd like Affinity even more if I can find a way to import more presets, its a shame the Lightroom presets won't work with Affinity. OK they will it seems, but its not simple, or so I've read.
My last two IG posts were Affinity desktop edits.

Thanks. Just not sure if I’ll have buy Lightroom, right now it comes with Photoshop. I’m sure I saw your IGposts but will revisit.

It appears that you have to load the LUTS one at a time, unlike Adobe's efforts. It apparently doesn't support a look up table (gets a bit techie zzzz).
But I loaded a few up last night, interesting bit of software, but its getting in the way of my mobile side now :lol:

Amen to that!

I keep telling myself I need to get Affinity for desktop but just can’t see myself making the time to learn it. I’d rather spend time with ipad apps. I still have to get stuck into Affinity Designer for ipad. Adobe is so off my Christmas list.

Amen to that!

I keep telling myself I need to get Affinity for desktop but just can’t see myself making the time to learn it. I’d rather spend time with ipad apps. I still have to get stuck into Affinity Designer for ipad. Adobe is so off my Christmas list.
Affinity isn't really that much different to Photoshop Ann.

Nearly a year on is anyone still singing Affinity's praises ?
I've still only got the desktop version but I opened it last night and started messing around with layers and quickly got bogged down :confused:
The idea was to do some old style textured images to post elsewhere, but it seems I may have to immerse myself in tutorials yet again.

I've still only got the desktop version but I opened it last night and started messing around with layers and quickly got bogged down :confused:
The idea was to do some old style textured images to post elsewhere, but it seems I may have to immerse myself in tutorials yet again.
I the past year I have cancelled my Photoshop subscription, and instead of Affinity, I have been using ArtStudio Pro. It is more photoshop like, I find the interface easier to navigate and it does everything I want it to.

Affinity Photo is one of the main reasons I bought an iPad Pro and it has become my main go-to photo editing app for working with RAW files, RAW HDR, RAW image stacking, compositing, photo retouching, anything involving “straight” photo editing. It isn’t strong on effects, textures, overlays, funny filters, etc. For those things I go elsewhere. You can make any of those effects if you want to start from scratch. But I imagine more “filters” and effects will come in time. I use layers all the time in photo editing with Affinity and find it works very well, once you get familiar with the layout. There are a couple of things with layers in Affinity Photo I have yet to figure out how to do in Photoshop and I suspect Photoshop simply doesn’t have those functions.

Affinity has a very good tutorial system.

So far there is no other iOS app that can develop RAW HDR or focus stack sets, RAW or otherwise and that was the main thing that drew my attention to it. It doesn’t make the more extreme types of HDRs I was fond of when I first started HDR but that fad had worn off fairly quickly. It can also do other types of image stacking but so far I have not looked into those very much. For instance, the type of image stack where you can make anything that moves disappear and only non-moving objects remain, as in a busy landmark scene with too many tourists milling about.

Since I was a long-time Photoshop user and had been groomed into the Adobe way of doing things I found it took me a while to get reoriented to the Affinity layout and way of working. However, now when I go back to Photoshop it no longer feels as natural as it used to. In fact Photoshop feels rather clunky by comparison. Photoshop has been around a long time and still does a few things Affinity has not yet added.

I also have Affinity Photo on my desktop computer, as well as Affinity Designer (like Illustrator with additional photo functions) and Affinity Publisher, like InDesign. Being familiar with Affinity Photo makes the other two easier to slide into. I have used Affinity Designer for a paid commercial vector design project and was happier with it than using Illustrator. It was also very handy to be able to put the project on my iPad, where I also have Affinity Designer, in order to show the client how the project was going. However, Designer on iPad is not as feature rich as the desktop version.

But then I also have Luminar on desktop just to further confuse things.

I hardly ever do any editing of Mobile images on my desktop. The exception being some fine tuning when I want to make a large print of a mobile image.

There are a couple of programs on desktop that still offer looks I have not been able to achieve on the iPad. Topaz Simplify is the main one, but a couple of HDR programs have their unique properties as well.

The bigger difference is that after using the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil for photo retouching and drawing when I go back to the desktop and try to do similar things using my Wacom tablet it feels very clunky by comparison. I’ve used Wacom tablets for many years on desktop but compared to the iPad and Apple Pencil it feels like the Stone Age.

I the past year I have cancelled my Photoshop subscription, and instead of Affinity, I have been using ArtStudio Pro. It is more photoshop like, I find the interface easier to navigate and it does everything I want it to.
I never did go to Adobe’s subscription plan and stayed with the last paid version which was 6. Likewise for all the other Adobe stuff.
I see I used to have ArtStudio and Artstudio Pro (both by Lucky Clan) on iPad but let them go. What is it you like about it? Does it have any unique functions you like to use?

Last edited:
I really thought that I would get into Affinity but I have too many apps that do what I want and I just can’t be bothered to spend time working it all out although I really want to get into focus stacking. I’ve taken a couple of macro shots using the CameraPixels focus stacking option but haven’t got around to putting it all together. One day. :whistle:

I really thought that I would get into Affinity but I have too many apps that do what I want and I just can’t be bothered to spend time working it all out although I really want to get into focus stacking. I’ve taken a couple of macro shots using the CameraPixels focus stacking option but haven’t got around to putting it all together. One day. :whistle:
Doing the focus stacking just takes 2 or 3 minutes. Easy as can be.

This is how I feel. Maybe in the age of the mobile, messing around for hours in photoshop like programs just seems like a step backwards or too much like DSLR photography.
Getting tired are we? Yes, it’s the instant gratification era. Nobody wants to put any effort into anything but expects great results. I want to be a virtuoso violin player in 5 minutes. And then I want to be famous and rich. It’s my right.

Messing around for hours with Photoshop is what people used to do in the old days. Now it’s just button tapping. Without even knowing what happens when the button is tapped. Keep tapping and tapping and maybe magic will happen, or not.

It’s just the same in the DSLR world. Everyone wants great photos with no effort. All I need is a better camera. I’ve met people who have spent $15,000+ on camera gear, because they dream of making great photos, but they don’t have the first clue how to operate the camera. The search for the magic instant masterpiece filter. People will buy every filter, every LUT, expecting it to make gold out of mud. Even when they know deep down there is no free lunch, they keep trying.

Ah, for the good old days of film. After you pressed the shutter there was nothing more you could do except wait for your prints or slides to be developed. What you shot is what you got. (Actually, there’s an app like that)

Wait, that’s the answer. Let’s abandon trying to make good photographs, that’s too time consuming anyhow, and make snapshots instead. Just like film. Press the shutter and you get whatever you get. Oh, look, another picture of my feet.

Oh, forget that. It’s too much work. Let’s sit cross legged, no that sounds too much like structure, let’s just slouch on the floor and contemplate the great non doing.

It’s fun to take these flights of fancy now and then.

This is what I love about mobile. Get an app - wham, bam you have it sussed and you can produce something in a jiffy.
That’s the mobile dream alright. The hype for the new app builds a great impression in your mind getting you to hit the “buy” button. There’s just something lacking in the delivery. The great new app turns out not to deliver the goods, except under specific circumstances, which for some reason never occur.

Back
Top Bottom