Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Discussion: Android phones for photography

Discussion in 'Accessories & Phones' started by TomHH, 10 February 2019.

1. TomHH

TomHH MobiFan

Tom
    Device:
    Android (Generic)
    So as I will probably buy a new phone the next months I will collect some information about phones I find descent for photography - opinions and experience very welcome!

Personally I have the following criteria for my new phone:

- plain Android with few modifications by the manufacturer (nice to have - the less the better)
    - good native camera app with focus on photography
    - around 5,5" display size - not too big
    - up to date Android version
    - good battery life with quick charge
    - Moment case available (nice to have)
    - RAW capture

Currently I had a look at the following phones:
    - Google Pixel 2/3
    - Oneplus 6T
    - Honor View 20 (night shots - https://www.flickr.com/photos/31091808@N05/albums/72157706501806455)
    - Huawei Mate 20 Pro (https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/huawei-mate-20-pro-camera-review)

Last edited: 10 February 2019
    RoseCat and JillyG like this.
  2. TomHH

TomHH MobiFan

Tom
    Device:
    Android (Generic)
    What I would find quite useful for night shots is bracketing. Those shots can be stacked in e.g. Affinity Photo to minimize noise.

3. sinnerjohn

sinnerjohn Smooth Bug Catcher

John
    Device:
    Samsung
    Does size matter? I was looking at the Pixel3 v the Pixel3 XL and apart from the screen, battery and price, they seem much the same.
    I'm not really sold on huge screens myself, unless they give some extra dimension.

JillyG likes this.
  4. TomHH

TomHH MobiFan

Tom
    Device:
    Android (Generic)
    After watching a bunch of youtube videos, reading a lot of reviews, looking at plenty of shots I chose a few phones which seem to be very promising to me.
    I dropped Honor, Huawei because the company decided not let users unlock their phones to flash a custom ROM if they like. That's for me a clear no-go. If the manufacturer stops providing update after 2-3 years I'd like to be able to flash a custom ROM to my phone.

Nevertheless I will name one of the phones from Honor, because it seems to be very capable.

One thing I realized is that AI is the buzzword! Nearly every manufacturer is using some kind of artificial intelligence to apply settings for taking pictures. This works in most of the cases quite well, but not always. And of course it's not what you have in mind when taking a shot. ;)

So I had a closer look at the following phones:
    - Oneplus 6T
    - Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s

Here's a link to the performance of the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12992/the-xiaomi-mi-mix-2s-review/7
    I like this review because you can easily check the competitors in the same scene. The Xiaomi has pretty awkward front camera but as I never did a selfie I don't care.
    The big plus is the optical 2x zoom lens which has a quite good image quality. (https://www.mi.com/global/mix2s/)

The Oneplus is also not bad. Has a better front camera, OLED display. (https://www.oneplus.com/de/6t)

Actually I'm not sure which one would be the better one. The tele of the Xiaomi is a real plus for me.

5. sinnerjohn

sinnerjohn Smooth Bug Catcher

John
    Device:
    Samsung
    Xiaomi isn't a well known brand in the UK. One of my colleagues has a Oneplus (admittedly an older one) and he doesn't rate the camera at all.
    What about the HTC U12?

JillyG likes this.
  6. TomHH

TomHH MobiFan

Tom
    Device:
    Android (Generic)
    Oneplus wasn't well known for camera performance but with the 6T seemed to really catch up.

Xiaomi is gaining market presence in Europe. And they have a really good price rate in regards what you get for your money.

The HTC sounds interesting as well. But here in Germany they lost presence on the market. I'm fearing bad maintenance when it comes to updates of Android (which is sometimes really bad).

As always - it's not that easy and straight forward!! :lmao:

ImageArt, JillyG and sinnerjohn like this.
  7. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Minefield! It’s difficult to know what reviews are accurate or just blurbing what they have been given.

TomHH and JillyG like this.
  8. TomHH

TomHH MobiFan

Tom
    Device:
    Android (Generic)
    In the end you need to make your own decision. Of course there are fan boys, haters and folks who compare to high end devices (which does only work to a certain degree).

Those reviews will only point you to a direction. The rest is yours.