Ann’s Arty Attempts

You and I know what amazing quilts are made and it’s disgraceful that this art is not considered fine art
About 15 years ago, I went with Lorraine to the local Pajaro Valley Quilt Association show at the fairgrounds, and it was a revelation. Anyone who isn't familiar with art quilting just needs to look at the online galleries at SAQA, for example, to be dazzled. Santa Cruz is very lucky to have lots of talented quilters, including Yvonne Porcella, Ann Baldwin May, and Meri Vahl, so the local PVQA shows are always a trip.

I've felt a lot of similarities between the art quilters and mobile photographers as a group. They tend to be very supportive of each other, most don't fret about not being considered fine art, and they seem to delight in stepping outside the traditional and crossing boundaries.

Dearest Jilly, I love you for this :inlove: but I am under no illusions about my art. This wouldn’t win if it was a painting either. I’m a happy content person. I don’t want to do angst and depression and deep messages about life. I just want to do nature - flowers and insects and birds - and the occasional building. This is not what the art critics want but I don’t care.

You and I know what amazing quilts are made and it’s disgraceful that this art is not considered fine art but it doesn’t mean that lots of us don’t appreciate it. Lots of the art I love will never win prizes but they are winners in my heart. Doing my own thing gives me joy and that’s all that counts. :)

Well said.

I’m glad you’re happy with your work. I would say your skill and talent level is certainly at least equal to those whose work I see leading the competitions again and again. I’m also glad you enter even while knowing your subject matter is not “in vogue”. Keeps them honest.

I think that not everything in life is a competition - even things you are passionate about and work at every day. On my own level (way below “competition worthy”) I am pleased with the images I produce. Shouldn’t that be enough? I’m on my second 365 now and when I look back, I don’t find a single image that makes me think “I shouldn’t have posted that” or “I should have reworked that”. Because they were made for me, and then I shared them knowing that some would like them and some would not, depending on the day and subject and mood of the viewer.
Exactly Jerry and I love to see what you come up with next and you often give me ideas of what I could do with my own images. :thumbs:

About 15 years ago, I went with Lorraine to the local Pajaro Valley Quilt Association show at the fairgrounds, and it was a revelation. Anyone who isn't familiar with art quilting just needs to look at the online galleries at SAQA, for example, to be dazzled. Santa Cruz is very lucky to have lots of talented quilters, including Yvonne Porcella, Ann Baldwin May, and Meri Vahl, so the local PVQA shows are always a trip.

I've felt a lot of similarities between the art quilters and mobile photographers as a group. They tend to be very supportive of each other, most don't fret about not being considered fine art, and they seem to delight in stepping outside the traditional and crossing boundaries.
The skill required is quite extraordinary and considering the hours that go into the quilts they are worth well more than they go for.

Yes, definitely similarities between the two groups!

I really feel like I need new material but glued together some old book pages which I photographed and then blended in some old faithfuls as well as the butterfly brushes in iColorama. Other apps: Imaengine, Procreate and Adobe PhotoMix

Vintage Moth
05F1EF4D-E11F-49D1-A47B-B79B023DEDAB.jpeg

I really feel like I need new material but glued together some old book pages which I photographed and then blended in some old faithfuls as well as the butterfly brushes in iColorama. Other apps: Imaengine, Procreate and Adobe PhotoMix

Vintage Moth
View attachment 105940
I love your collages. :inlove: You might feel like you need some new material but we don’t. This has definitely got “Ann” written all over it.

Back
Top Bottom