IOTM Winner - Feb 21, Sep 22
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
Got to get back into my photo manipulation and what better way to do it than slothing at home over Christmas with a new app to learn.

However my first one doesn’t use Affinity at all.

Apps: iColorama, Snapseed, Procreate, Glaze, Adobe Mix, Adobe Capture, Painterly.

4535AD8D-C023-43DF-B08E-3D88423D171B.jpeg

Ooh your slothful winter will be my summer pleasure :inlove:
Can’t wait to see the Affinity tutorials I mean collages :oops: :mobibabe:
And this is lovely - texture plus. Makes me think of that tape that’s all the craze with scrapbooking. Wasi tape? Washi? (Wasabi is horseradish, right? )

Got to get back into my photo manipulation and what better way to do it than slothing at home over Christmas with a new app to learn.

Apps: iColorama, Snapseed, Procreate, Glaze, Adobe Mix, Adobe Capture, Painterly.

View attachment 103806
This is fabulous, Ann! I have so missed your collage/art pieces.

View attachment 103806
Just wonderful, Ann! I know this thread is going to be filled with gorgeousness. :inlove:

View attachment 103806
Fabulous. Looking foward to more.:inlove:

View attachment 103806

Cool!!!!

Still not Affinity :).

I found an interesting group of artists on polyvore.com. They have taken a fashion ‘mood board’ website and created art from advertising. I’m a bit shocked at the use of art to create art in some cases. I’m not sure where plagiarism works here but I do love some of the pieces they have produced and I thought I would give it a go but by trying to use my own art.

Here’s a couple of the artists I like just in case you are interested. If you click on an image you can see what items they used to create the piece which I found fascinating.
https://shereeburlington.polyvore.com/
https://vero-klo.polyvore.com/
https://boobetty.polyvore.com/

Below: The drawing is of a lady from a magazine but it is quite different. The hand is mine taken in Colorburn. The middle square bit is a magazine page printed over with a leaf stencil. The top and bottom are paint brushes in IC. I really want to try it with flowers and nature images that I have. This is more me.

Apps: Snapseed, Procreate, Eraser, iColorama

This is the ‘raw’ image
DB73DF96-A3B7-4C79-995F-4BC21667D545.jpeg

This is after using one of the brushes in iColorama:
B87070BD-1A1A-4C59-B199-FED49D19AF1A.jpeg

Ooh your slothful winter will be my summer pleasure :inlove:
Can’t wait to see the Affinity tutorials I mean collages :oops: :mobibabe:
And this is lovely - texture plus. Makes me think of that tape that’s all the craze with scrapbooking. Wasi tape? Washi? (Wasabi is horseradish, right? )
I’ll pretend I didn’t see this... :mobibabe:

Still not Affinity :).

I found an interesting group of artists on polyvore.com. They have taken a fashion ‘mood board’ website and created art from advertising. I’m a bit shocked at the use of art to create art in some cases. I’m not sure where plagiarism works here but I do love some of the pieces they have produced and I thought I would give it a go but by trying to use my own art.

Here’s a couple of the artists I like just in case you are interested. If you click on an image you can see what items they used to create the piece which I found fascinating.
https://shereeburlington.polyvore.com/
https://vero-klo.polyvore.com/
https://boobetty.polyvore.com/

Below: The drawing is of a lady from a magazine but it is quite different. The hand is mine taken in Colorburn. The middle square bit is a magazine page printed over with a leaf stencil. The top and bottom are paint brushes in IC. I really want to try it with flowers and nature images that I have. This is more me.

Apps: Snapseed, Procreate, Eraser, iColorama

This is the ‘raw’ image
View attachment 103883

This is after using one of the brushes in iColorama:
View attachment 103884

The artwork is awesome! Yours included. I was quite confused at first with all the fashion stuff.

The artwork is awesome! Yours included. I was quite confused at first with all the fashion stuff.

I was confused, too — I’ve never seen polyvore before. I’m still not sure I get it — I think it’s: surf the web looking for images, use parts thereof to make a collage, show all the ‘contributing’ pieces. Same as any other digital collage except the sources are usually your own? :mobibabe: :alien: :)

I was confused, too — I’ve never seen polyvore before. I’m still not sure I get it — I think it’s: surf the web looking for images, use parts thereof to make a collage, show all the ‘contributing’ pieces. Same as any other digital collage except the sources are usually your own? :mobibabe: :alien: :)
I was confused too to start off with.

Actually, if you look at physical collages, I wonder how much of the stuff really comes from the artist? It comes from magazines. This isn’t any different if you think about it. I thought it was pretty clever how these ladies put theirs together with not much of an editor but it’s such a shame that they don’t use their own artwork when they have so much potential. With digital cameras there is no excuse these days. I suppose if you are into vintage stuff you have no choice and to be honest the whole essence of collage is using existing materials. :confused:

Then it made me think that maybe being good at collage is having access to loads of stuff. Where Polyvore helps is that you can make collections and put similar material into groups. I wish it was a bit easier to do on the iPad. Virtual folders just don’t do it for me. Anyway, I realise I should be spending more time sifting through my own photo ‘material’ and getting it in order. Maybe our limitations are caused by not knowing what we have. :)

Last edited:
If I make a physical collage, I use things clipped from magazines and newspapers and don’t think twice about it. But, is taking a photo of the same thing and using it digitally, plagiarism? I know it feels wrong to me.
I absolutely feel the same. Using bits of background from magazines and patterned envelopes doesn’t bother me but taking any sort of image makes me feel uneasy even if it’s in the public domain. I have on a very few occasions used drawings from old library collections that are in the public domain but I still don’t like it and prefer to use my own stuff. For me that’s the whole challenge. Making my own brushes, silhouettes, cut out images. In that way I don’t ever have to worry when I enter competitions. I know that all the stuff is mine and it was taken and produced on my iphone!

It’s the reason I don’t often take part on the iColorama Facebook page. Everybody uses images from Pixabay. I mean what’s the point??

I absolutely feel the same. Using bits of background from magazines and patterned envelopes doesn’t bother me but taking any sort of image makes me feel uneasy even if it’s in the public domain. I have on a very few occasions used drawings from old library collections that are in the public domain but I still don’t like it and prefer to use my own stuff. For me that’s the whole challenge. Making my own brushes, silhouettes, cut out images. In that way I don’t ever have to worry when I enter competitions. I know that all the stuff is mine and it was taken and produced on my iphone!

It’s the reason I don’t often take part on the iColorama Facebook page. Everybody uses images from Pixabay. I mean what’s the point??

Yes. I want it to be all mine. I feel like my reputation is at stake.

I was reading through this thread and all the issues of using vintage images and how that doesn’t feel right when you’re trying to create your own images, but using brushes in iColorama doesn’t give me the same squeamish feeling. I thought about a set of brushes I have that have vintage ladies in dresses, and how I used them in “Party Stragglers” earlier this year.

IMG_1222.JPG

It occurred to me that while I can’t ever feel comfortable with apping an image from Pixabay, Unsplash or Sktchy and posting it on a group, I can feel less guilty about using clip art brushes if I modify them before I use them. So in my first attempt at modifying a brush image before use, I took one of the brush dabs and ran it through Imaengine’s Triangles 2 setting.

IMG_4771.JPG

I loved the result! The original is in the upper left. The result is not recognizable as the original, and for me at least, that extra layer of remove from the original quells my guilt at using someone else’s image. It might not for you, but we all have our lines, and I think this is closer to yours than those people on FB groups that app others’ images several times daily.

I was reading through this thread and all the issues of using vintage images and how that doesn’t feel right when you’re trying to create your own images, but using brushes in iColorama doesn’t give me the same squeamish feeling. I thought about a set of brushes I have that have vintage ladies in dresses, and how I used them in “Party Stragglers” earlier this year.

View attachment 104074

It occurred to me that while I can’t ever feel comfortable with apping an image from Pixabay, Unsplash or Sktchy and posting it on a group, I can feel less guilty about using clip art brushes if I modify them before I use them. So in my first attempt at modifying a brush image before use, I took one of the brush dabs and ran it through Imaengine’s Triangles 2 setting.

View attachment 104075

I loved the result! The original is in the upper left. The result is not recognizable as the original, and for me at least, that extra layer of remove from the original quells my guilt at using someone else’s image. It might not for you, but we all have our lines, and I think this is closer to yours than those people on FB groups that app others’ images several times daily.
I think that is quite acceptable and yes, the result is fab! For me it’s about trying to use my own stuff as much as possible. I have done what you did here on a couple of occasions and there’s also the question of using photos of art such as old statues, gargoyles for example. I think if it’s been manipulated enough then it’s your own art. I was going to set out here my rigid rules for what I think is acceptable but then I realised that I have even broken what I think my rules are! Is manipulating a mannequin from a shop window acceptable?

I can only say that I stick to the rules of no plagiarism which I think you demonstrate here and more than this I like to try and only use my own stuff if it’s an object and as far as possible everything else but I don’t worry about using free textures etc otherwise there would be no point using DistressedFX etc. Gee, I dunno, I could ramble on for ever. :confused::lol: And ultimately it sounds like we are on the same page.

Exactly! It’s such a difficult subject to nail down. I thought I had it clear until I started to write my response. And it’s still clear to me, in the way that I can look at an image and say whether it looks like the poster’s work or that he/she appropriated the work of someone else.

There’s also the issue of an app like Moment Cam, which takes an image of a face and puts it into caricatures. You are even given the opportunity to place the caricature on your own background. The app is built for you to use their drawings in your own work. Should that be considered plagiarism? I would say not.

View attachment 103806
Just Beautiful and Lovely
Having problem with the App Adobe Mix and Procreate

View attachment 104074

View attachment 104075

I love "Party Stragglers"! And the apped woman is simply fantastic... totally different than the original. I agree that you've now made it "your own".

View attachment 104074

View attachment 104075

I like that. And it makes sense. And it gives someone like me, who can’t draw a straight line or round circle, a way to place drawn components.

I also really love that brush!

Back
Top Bottom