Ann’s Arty Attempts

BEautiful. I love the colours. I haven’t tried the auto selection in Procreate. I laboriously tap around the subject with the selection tool. Even Enlight and Superimpose are better. :rolleyes: But then, after it’s selected, you can do all kinds of things with it in Procreate.
I cut out/mask figures and objects in SuperimposeX, save it as a PNG, and then use it in Procreate. Like you I find masking in Procreate laborious.

I cut out/mask figures and objects in SuperimposeX, save it as a PNG, and then use it in Procreate. Like you I find masking in Procreate laborious.
Pretty much what I do but once you have an object on its own layer, tapping the layer and then choosing select is a great way of just editing the object In Procreate. I really do recommend the course at the start of the online courses thread.

I thought I would try to produce something similar to Nicki Fitzgerald’s latest stuff. So here’s the result. Not quite as minimalist.
E1C4040B-8720-4322-8FC0-5590C3A10989.png

SuperImposeX, Procreate, ImaEngine

I thought I would try to produce something similar to Nicki Fitzgerald’s latest stuff. So here’s the result. Not quite as minimalist.
View attachment 157904
Fabulous. Love those colours - pistachio, raspberry, a bit of cherry (I think I might have a bit of ice cream deprivation syndrome).

View attachment 157904
Niki Fitzgerald must be posting her 'arty' stuff elsewhere as her IG feed seems to be full of fairly straight photos of Weymouth.
Or is she trying to sell you something and yet do something completely different herself. Always the cynic ;)

Fabulous. Love those colours - pistachio, raspberry, a bit of cherry (I think I might have a bit of ice cream deprivation syndrome).
Thanks. Pastel colours aren’t usually my thing so it’s been an interesting exercise.

View attachment 157904
Still, very impressive. I’ve been reviewing some of her old stuff. I’m a big fan of hers and Tricia Dewey. Has she posted the new class?

Well, I prefer two and three, to one. And, of two and three, I prefer two. :D I love the leaves on the wire.

I like 1 and 2. I lean toward 1 although 2 has a bit of that chalky look that Nicki Fitzgerald gets to her colors these days.
Interesting. I don’t really get that gritty look that Nicki gets. Here’s another go.....

I like all of them. I do like the third one best.
I prefer #1. I like the color palette, and I prefer the muted colors as opposed to the heightened ones in the Hipsta 2 and Pastello edits.
I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that each person likes something different. I do agree with you, David, that the muted colours seem less harsh. I often tune an image in Snapseed using ambience etc and find myself going back to the original.

If I thought I would learn enough to justify the price I would sign up but too often I realise I know as much and ultimately the difference is style.
If the price is reasonable, I will give it a go. I find I usually learn something and I often go back and review tutes I’ve seen even a few times and learn something I missed or had forgotten. (Ex. juryjone Jerry’s) Especially if I’m having a slump and I seem to be slumping big time lately.

Still trying out this pastel sort of collage. Not sure whether I like them much.

Anyhow got three examples of the same thing and just wondered which one you think is the best:

Original
View attachment 158118

Hipsta 1
View attachment 158119

Hipsta 2
View attachment 158120
I prefer #1 for the same reasons as David deepop. And the Pastello drops out the text details I like so much.

I like Nicki’s tutorials but I don’t ever learn anything. I spent $10 on a Kindle book on mobile art and not only did I not learn anything, but I disagreed on many points and the whole style of teaching. But I liked most of the author’s results.

Most of my tutorials are app-specific, showing the nuts and bolts of working the app. That comes from my years as a mainframe software developer, writing code and then writing the manuals to explain each screen. Sometimes I branched out and showed the steps that led to a finished work, although that was usually entirely within iColorama, so didn’t include my usual app-hopping. Becoming more specific on a work or style rather than an app means fewer people will learn from it. And there are a lot of books and tutorials that aren’t specific enough on style or apps, and I’m not really sure what anyone learns from them.

I prefer #1 for the same reasons as David deepop. And the Pastello drops out the text details I like so much.

I like Nicki’s tutorials but I don’t ever learn anything. I spent $10 on a Kindle book on mobile art and not only did I not learn anything, but I disagreed on many points and the whole style of teaching. But I liked most of the author’s results.

Most of my tutorials are app-specific, showing the nuts and bolts of working the app. That comes from my years as a mainframe software developer, writing code and then writing the manuals to explain each screen. Sometimes I branched out and showed the steps that led to a finished work, although that was usually entirely within iColorama, so didn’t include my usual app-hopping. Becoming more specific on a work or style rather than an app means fewer people will learn from it. And there are a lot of books and tutorials that aren’t specific enough on style or apps, and I’m not really sure what anyone learns from them.
If I think about it, I gain more from the occasional tip than a full blown course. I’m a computer geek too and actually spent about 3 years entirely writing computer training courses in my early thirties although I was mainly an analyst programmer. (hah, did some JCL programming in my middle twenties). I’ve always been pretty much self taught and have a real tenacity to work things out for myself so I seldom get my moneys worth from a course unless I know nothing.

I judge my own work by what I would be prepared to hang on my wall. I’ve enjoyed the challenge of trying to mimic a style but I haven’t liked anything I’ve done to put it on my wall and as much as I have enjoyed seeing Nicky’s creations, it’s also not what I would hang on my wall.

I actually love well manipulated photos and some of your clever abstracts.

Here’s a list of your stuff that I bookmarked from your 2018 365 Project which is more the type of thing I like.

https://mobitog.com/threads/juryjone’s-project-365-2018-messing-around-again.23063/post-365296

https://mobitog.com/threads/juryjone’s-project-365-2018-messing-around-again.23063/post-374983

https://mobitog.com/threads/juryjone’s-project-365-2018-messing-around-again.23063/post-383607

https://mobitog.com/threads/juryjone’s-project-365-2018-messing-around-again.23063/post-385435

https://mobitog.com/threads/juryjone’s-project-365-2018-messing-around-again.23063/post-389080

https://mobitog.com/threads/juryjone’s-project-365-2018-messing-around-again.23063/post-405606

Abstract
https://mobitog.com/threads/juryjone’s-project-365-2018-messing-around-again.23063/post-371298

Back
Top Bottom