Ann’s Arty Attempts

How do you decide whether to use VectorQ or ImaEngine?
Ditto. I may have lost Imaengine when it morphed into VectorQ.
The developer keeps changing VectorQ. There are some interesting additions including adding scribbles but my main beef with it is that the base colours are now not on a separate layer to outlines and I often use the base colours without outlines and draw my own outlines which is what I did in the first picture. I also use Inkwork to provide different outlines. If you want to get rid of outlines now you have to do it using the sliders and it doesn’t always get rid of them completely and is frustrating.

So I often start with an ImaEngine colour base, add my own outlines and then maybe blend in a VectorQ version which has the scribbles. In the version below I took the result of an ImaEngine colour base and my own outlines and ran this through VectorQ although I added the fence after.
0613A992-067F-4730-8446-664C63FF33B1.png

ImaEngine:

The developer keeps changing VectorQ. There are some interesting additions including adding scribbles but my main beef with it is that the base colours are now not on a separate layer to outlines and I often use the base colours without outlines and draw my own outlines which is what I did in the first picture. I also use Inkwork to provide different outlines. If you want to get rid of outlines now you have to do it using the sliders and it doesn’t always get rid of them completely and is frustrating.

So I often start with an ImaEngine colour base, add my own outlines and then maybe blend in a VectorQ version which has the scribbles. In the version below I took the result of an ImaEngine colour base and my own outlines and ran this through VectorQ although I added the fence after.
View attachment 179016

ImaEngine:
Thanks, Ann :notworthy:

If you want to get rid of outlines now you have to do it using the sliders and it doesn’t always get rid of them completely and is frustrating
I may be missing something but when I use Vector Q the editor still has a color layer and an outline layer (which can be hidden to leave only the colors.)

I feel that I should use Trigraphy more often but I find it quite a challenging app. I think I prefer Trimaginator but I often get the two mixed up.

However, Trigraphy does have blending and layers and I think if you are prepared to put in some time, it would be quite a powerful app. I prefer to use it in conjunction with other apps so the original is output from Trigraphy is quite watered down.

48C98637-D93E-41C9-A61F-916B9B9B2699.jpeg

8B8033B4-8C2F-4C37-B481-602E6FF12666.jpeg

C4B8D529-8D70-4654-8576-24E7EB94D9BE.jpeg

Other apps used in the last two: iColorama, Retouch and Procreate.

I feel that I should use Trigraphy more often but I find it quite a challenging app. I think I prefer Trimaginator but I often get the two mixed up.

However, Trigraphy does have blending and layers and I think if you are prepared to put in some time, it would be quite a powerful app. I prefer to use it in conjunction with other apps so the original is output from Trigraphy is quite watered down.

View attachment 179131

View attachment 179132
View attachment 179133
I particularly love the second and third ones. I’d love to know how you made them.:)

I blended this with an outline that I did in Procreate in deep red which I ran through Inkwork. Then I blended this with the original in iColorama using Exclusion and masking out the middle to keep the white. I then used Adjust>Exposure a bit to brighten it.

28822DA7-A278-41D2-B404-F2ACEF81FDE7.jpeg

1B816A0F-C3FD-4AE1-B459-C8EA8E0FB7AB.jpeg

I finally blended this back with the the first layer of the Trigraphy result (keeping the middle white with masking) and took away the spike in the middle with Retouch. Or did I blend it back with original..not sure. I might have added the outlines again too.

Last edited:
I blended this with an outline that I did in Procreate in deep red which I ran through Inkwork. Then I blended this with the original in iColorama using Exclusion and masking out the middle to keep the white. I then used Adjust>Exposure a bit to brighten it.

View attachment 179147

View attachment 179146

I finally blended this back with the the first layer of the Trigraphy result (keeping the middle white with masking) and took away the spike in the middle with Retouch. Or did I blend it back with original..not sure. I might have added the outlines again too.
Thank you for indulging me my dear. It’s a great tute.:notworthy:

Lily

Took it into Trigraphy and applied Ludee F I think with 100% complexity
7767B507-9676-4DF7-9C66-926CAAF10819.jpeg

I then brought in the original as a layer and using the brush eraser, I removed some of the original to reveal the texture. I wanted to keep some of the detail and outlines.

A5BB56F4-8DE4-4524-BB1B-2CC50FA14F33.png

I took the original into iColorama and used Style>Edges>7 with overlay. I think I then used Coherence and upped the saturation.

77857248-B9FC-4D17-ADDE-0ED1C3EDB401.jpeg

I blended the outline and result from Trigraphy in iColorama using the Phoenix blend.

4604F990-10ED-4C7F-A3F2-48ECED2808D6.jpeg

Here I do something which is difficult to replicate. I use Preset>Compose and I change all the shapes sometimes adding colour and sometimes patterns. Here is an example but I can’t tell you what I used:
52B54D04-63C0-4D4D-A5DF-43B84014A713.png

I then reduce the opacity so that I get something like this which is what I got:

DE156695-2745-4603-AF9F-3216869D9BF0.jpeg

If you look closely you will see those orange flowers.

I didn’t like the white flecks so I took it into Retouch and removed them all with object removal. Finally back into iColorama with a 50% Style>Coherence followed by 50% Adjust>High.

Last edited:
:eek: Ok, I’ll give it a try

Here is the original:

View attachment 179143

So, I went into Trigraphy and used ESTE D and turned the Complexity up to 100

View attachment 179144

Then I added another layer, an FX Layer:
View attachment 179145

View attachment 179147

View attachment 179146

Lily

Took it into Trigraphy and applied Ludee F I think with 100% complexity
View attachment 179148

I then brought in the original as a layer and using the brush eraser, I removed some of the original to reveal the texture. I wanted to keep some of the detail and outlines.

View attachment 179149

I took the original into iColorama and used Style>Edges>7 with overlay. I think I then used Coherence and upped the saturation.

View attachment 179150

I blended the outline and result from Trigraphy in iColorama using the Phoenix blend.

View attachment 179151

Here I do something which is difficult to replicate. I use Preset>Compose and I change all the squares sometimes adding colour and sometimes patterns. Here is an example but I can’t tell you what I used:
View attachment 179152

I then reduce the opacity so that I get something like this which is what I got:

View attachment 179153

I didn’t like the white flecks so I took it into Retouch and removed them all with object removal. Finally back into iColorama with a 50% Style>Coherence followed by 50% Adjust>High.
Wow!

View attachment 179151

Here I do something which is difficult to replicate. I use Preset>Compose and I change all the shapes sometimes adding colour and sometimes patterns. Here is an example but I can’t tell you what I used:
View attachment 179152

View attachment 179153

Thank you so much Ann. It’s wonderful to see your workflow. The finished results are always gorgeous.:notworthy:

View attachment 179147

View attachment 179146

Love your mini-tutes, Ann :inlove::notworthy::)

View attachment 179131

View attachment 179132
View attachment 179133
I went to Cambridge today and visited the David Hockney exhibition. He’s done some artwork on an iPad (at least I think it was an iPad - either that or an iPhone) and, honestly Ann, your lilies are soooooooo much better than his. Here’s some of his work which I photographed to prove how much better yours are. I hope you don’t mind me putting them in thumbnails here.

45952469-69A6-417F-B1CA-477CA11D5D10.jpegF07636C2-1AC0-4C96-BBAB-E8DAA8D17CDB.jpegF681204C-2586-4C0D-B131-F0D1FE9CF7EC.jpeg
Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo of his lilies, but I assure you they weren’t as good.

I went to Cambridge today and visited the David Hockney exhibition. He’s done some artwork on an iPad (at least I think it was an iPad - either that or an iPhone) and, honestly Ann, your lilies are soooooooo much better than his. Here’s some of his work which I photographed to prove how much better yours are. I hope you don’t mind me putting them in thumbnails here.

View attachment 179261View attachment 179262View attachment 179263
Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo of his lilies, but I assure you they weren’t as good.
From memory David Hockney started on an IPhone 4. Also take a look at Jorge Colombo who is an illustrator for the NewYorker he sketched on the IPhone 4

Back
Top Bottom