Ann’s Arty Attempts

I went to Cambridge today and visited the David Hockney exhibition. He’s done some artwork on an iPad (at least I think it was an iPad - either that or an iPhone) and, honestly Ann, your lilies are soooooooo much better than his. Here’s some of his work which I photographed to prove how much better yours are. I hope you don’t mind me putting them in thumbnails here.

View attachment 179261View attachment 179262View attachment 179263
Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo of his lilies, but I assure you they weren’t as good.
If only I could charge as much as Hockney. :lol: Anyhow, he does his from scratch and I’m under no illusions that if I was to draw them they would look any better than a child’s drawing.

Yesterday’s daily picture definitely landed itself to a manip. I have to say I love manipulating flowers. They do lend themselves to experimentation.
022BCF8B-A3AF-4C2C-BB49-8298F2E9EBCB.jpeg

Adobe Fresco, PaintCan, Trigraphy, Trimaginator, iColorama, Glaze, Retouch, Graphite

Tutorial Below

Last edited:
Flower Tutorial

Inspired by Starzee , I thought it was time to try Fresco again for it’s vector brushes to use for my outlines this time. I just wanted to accentuate a couple of the flowers. However, I used quite a thick brush which, when blended with the original just looked clunky (1). I usually refine outlines like this in Inkwork but decided it needed something more drastic. I wondered if a pencil drawing type app might work and tried Graphite (2) which did give some interesting results and then I went for something extreme from Glaze which I used as well.

F92CBE72-92D8-4871-8E5A-00362607F4FE.jpeg

So then it was on to what to do with the flowers and I wanted to carry on experimenting with Trigraphy and Trimaginator.

So I took the original photograph into Trigraphy shown in 1. I then took 1 into Trimaginator and got 2. My usual flow is to take detail away and then add it in again so I thought let’s try PaintCan so I took the result of Trimaginator (2) and got 3. I took this into iColorama and blended it with the Graphite outline using Hue and reduced opacity (4).
1A41D336-DD00-4128-9939-CDFB4D2B92D8.jpeg

From here I took the result of 4 and still within iColorama blended the Glaze outline (5). When I blended this back with (2) I didn’t like the line coming out at the bottom so I removed this as you see in 5 using Retouch. So the final blend (5) with (2) is the end.
E6233AEA-6636-4E4F-B87E-BB5F967F1137.jpeg

Flower Tutorial

Inspired by Starzee , I thought it was time to try Fresco again for it’s vector brushes to use for my outlines this time. I just wanted to accentuate a couple of the flowers. However, I used quite a thick brush which, when blended with the original just looked clunky (1). I usually refine outlines like this in Inkwork but decided it needed something more drastic. I wondered if a pencil drawing type app might work and tried Graphite (2) which did give some interesting results and then I went for something extreme from Glaze which I used as well.

View attachment 179284

So then it was on to what to do with the flowers and I wanted to carry on experimenting with Trigraphy and Trimaginator.

So I took the original photograph into Trigraphy shown in 1. I then took 1 into Trimaginator and got 2. My usual flow is to take detail away and then add it in again so I thought let’s try PaintCan so I took the result of Trimaginator (2) and got 3. I took this into iColorama and blended it with the Graphite outline using Hue and reduced opacity (4).
View attachment 179285

From here I took the result of 4 and still within iColorama blended the Glaze outline (5). When I blended this back with (2) I didn’t like the line coming out at the bottom so I removed this as you see in 5 using Retouch. So the final blend (5) with (2) is the end.
View attachment 179287
Another lovely tutorial Ann. Thank you.:notworthy:

Dog Tutorial

I hope the pics make sense. With most of the options I have usually messed around with the sliders.

(1) Color hatch in VectorQ is a bit of a favourite at the moment with lots of slider changes.
(2) If you get the Stamp right in IC, you can create some interesting ‘glassy’ looks.
(6) The sketchy brush in SketchClub is still one of my favourites especially if I want a fine line with accents in places.
(8) I still sometimes want some line definition in VectorQ so I go into the editor and reduce the opacity of the edge layer.
(10) I often finish off my manipulations with some tuning and a vignette in Snapseed.

E5713C10-C580-4EA3-9EEA-5A723B17A1D1.jpeg

B3782ADF-65E7-4F5E-A6A0-704B5D817538.jpeg

E067D08B-495E-48BB-827E-0E714077D589.jpeg

Dog Tutorial

I hope the pics make sense. With most of the options I have usually messed around with the sliders.

(1) Color hatch in VectorQ is a bit of a favourite at the moment with lots of slider changes.
(2) If you get the Stamp right in IC, you can create some interesting ‘glassy’ looks.
(6) The sketchy brush in SketchClub is still one of my favourites especially if I want a fine line with accents in places.
(8) I still sometimes want some line definition in VectorQ so I go into the editor and reduce the opacity of the edge layer.
(10) I often finish off my manipulations with some tuning and a vignette in Snapseed.

View attachment 179323
View attachment 179324
View attachment 179325
Cool! And it makes sense to me!

Tattered Lace

96AF8B31-FD1D-40BB-B356-FF59E27A4659.jpeg

Procreate, iColorama, Retouch, SuperimposeX

Goodness I spent hours on this, trying this and trying that and I’m not sure if I like it but it’s the result of something I found in Fresco. I was looking at the smudge brush and saw pattern brushes in there and I thought, wow, smudge with a pattern, never thought of that. However, typical, these brushes aren’t available unless you pay for them so, Starzee , you will have to give them a go.

Frustrated I thought, hey, let me try it in Procreate. I found the smudge brush needs to be big and only works if you start on the edge of a colour or two colours and doesn’t work with all pattern brushes but you can get some interesting results. In the end, however, I started painting over my flowers instead with the brush tool using a pattern brush. This is how it started:
EE9F48BA-B46C-4BD4-8A20-EA12ACEE9F0F.png

After loads of blending back to versions of the flower photo and finally using IC>Form>Escher with a mask for the flowers to leave them in and reduced opacity, I got the final image.

Dog Tutorial

View attachment 179323
View attachment 179324
View attachment 179325

o_O:notworthy:o_O
I’m not convinced the VectorQ you use is the same one I have on my iPad
but *wow*
and *thanks*
these are great vignettes :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

o_O:notworthy:o_O
I’m not convinced the VectorQ you use is the same one I have on my iPad
but *wow*
and *thanks*
these are great vignettes :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
I do a lot of messing with sliders and changing between Smart UI and Advanced UI (which you have to turn on by recollection) and also going into the editor. It has taken patience.

Was looking at some YouTube stuff for Procreate and was interested to see that you can make brushes with multiple colours. I did a messy page and then ran it through WOMBO just for fun. Really like what it produced.

32A44C43-1CD1-4425-A8A8-9B107275BB21.jpeg

Here’s the original:
C015A3CD-99AD-44E3-821E-BB3AF812096C.jpeg

I feel that I should use Trigraphy more often but I find it quite a challenging app. I think I prefer Trimaginator but I often get the two mixed up.

However, Trigraphy does have blending and layers and I think if you are prepared to put in some time, it would be quite a powerful app. I prefer to use it in conjunction with other apps so the original is output from Trigraphy is quite watered down.

View attachment 179131

View attachment 179132
View attachment 179133
Other apps used in the last two: iColorama, Retouch and Procreate.

Second one nominated for April Image of the Month

While unpacking my books into the new cupboards, I found an old Corel Painter book by Jeremy Sutton (Instagram @jeremysutton) that I keep purely for inspiration and decided it was about time that I acted on that inspiration. I have to say I didn’t quite achieve his prowess but it’s very much in line with what I like to do. I see that he is now doing stuff on the iPad. You can watch his tutorials through a subscription but it doesn’t look to me as if he has much for the iPad. Still most of it Painter. And it isn’t cheap!

View attachment 178368
I did the painting in Procreate and then brought it into Pastello just to give it a bit more uniformity.
This is gorgeous !

From memory David Hockney started on an IPhone 4. Also take a look at Jorge Colombo who is an illustrator for the NewYorker he sketched on the IPhone 4
Thanks for this, Kevin Colombo is new to me. Love those cityscapes.

Wow, I love that effect.:notworthy:
Leaps off the page, doesn't it?
Thanks, folks, here are some of the steps. Might not have used them all.
84D71F6B-3065-4B6E-831B-D1674D0BA73C.jpeg

It’s the usual simplification in VectorQ. Then the outlines drawn in Procreate, taken into Inkwork. I then took it back into Procreate and filled some of the shapes. Blended back with the VectorQ version, then probably blended with the original. Filled in one of the middle shapes with yellow for balance and cloned the centre from one of the others. The the last one is an effect from iColorama. Can’t remember which one but rather liked it.

Thanks, folks, here are some of the steps. Might not have used them all.
View attachment 180153
It’s the usual simplification in VectorQ. Then the outlines drawn in Procreate, taken into Inkwork. I then took it back into Procreate and filled some of the shapes. Blended back with the VectorQ version, then probably blended with the original. Filled in one of the middle shapes with yellow for balance and cloned the centre from one of the others. The the last one is an effect from iColorama. Can’t remember which one but rather liked it.
Wow that’s a lot of work, but the result is worth it. Fab. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom