Ann's Asia 3 Month Countdown

Yes, the Truman Walk ends at the beach. Here is a photo looking down onto the beach. It has very fine pebble stones and it is hard work walking on them because your feet sink into it. The starfish were on the rocks right at the far end of the beach.

View attachment 92939

It seems to me that there are quite a few ladies who Tour NZ on their own, often in a little camper van. We must have passed about 5 ladies on the forest walk, walking by themselves. I was quite surprised. The South Island feels particularly safe.

I have to say that the scenery and vegetation is truly different from any where else I have been in the world. Time to start saving your pennies for a trip here. One of the best destinations I have ever been to.

That doesn't even look real... so incredibly beautiful! I am definitely going to start saving... [emoji7]

That is really saying a lot, coming from such an experienced traveler as you are.
Well, I suppose I love nature and this is one of the few places left where much of it feels untouched and not overcrowded with people. I have never been to the Grand Canyon and that must be spectacular but is it ruined by hundreds of tourists?

The towns feel a lot more like the kind of places I grow up in as a child. I mean, we are in Nelson at the moment which feels like a very prosperous town yet most of the shops close at 2pm on a Saturday and during the week everything closes at 5/5.30pm. We have marvelled at the fact that we have not seen one computer store in all our travels and mobile phones feel almost nonexistent even though this isn't so. Our internet access here has actually been better than Japan at the places we have stayed although quite understandably, there are quite a few dead spots when it comes to mobile phone reception. Children are out on their bicycles and I almost feel like I have gone back in time.

Well, I suppose I love nature and this is one of the few places left where much of it feels untouched and not overcrowded with people. I have never been to the Grand Canyon and that must be spectacular but is it ruined by hundreds of tourists?

The towns feel a lot more like the kind of places I grow up in as a child. I mean, we are in Nelson at the moment which feels like a very prosperous town yet most of the shops close at 2pm on a Saturday and during the week everything closes at 5/5.30pm. We have marvelled at the fact that we have not seen one computer store in all our travels and mobile phones feel almost nonexistent even though this isn't so. Our internet access here has actually been better than Japan at the places we have stayed although quite understandably, there are quite a few dead spots when it comes to mobile phone reception. Children are out on their bicycles and I almost feel like I have gone back in time.
That sounds dreamy, and I see why you love it. I would too. :inlove:

The Grand Canyon is far too big to be overrun. It is quite breathtaking (literally) and so SPECTACULAR!! We went there twice when we were in Las Vegas. The first time we traveled hours to the west end and the second time to the new area in the east end (lots closer) where the Native Americans built an acrylic floor out over The Canyon. I'll dig up some photos, however as you know pictures don't do justice.

The Grand Canyon is far too big to be overrun. It is quite breathtaking (literally) and so SPECTACULAR!! We went there twice when we were in Las Vegas. The first time we traveled hours to the west end and the second time to the new area in the east end (lots closer) where the Native Americans built an acrylic floor out over The Canyon. I'll dig up some photos, however as you know pictures don't do justice.
Good. It's on my bucket list of places to go!

Yes, to the question about the Grand Canyon. There's no escape unless you walk to the bottom of the Canyon.

I had heard that about NZ - that's it's like going back in time. I think they pride themselves on that.

28th April

Time to catch up! I was going to wait until we got broadband but it has been delayed until 6th June! I lost it at that point and threatened to cancel the order so they said that they would try and expedite it and will let me know on Monday. They had better have a plan. It will be 3 weeks without broadband. Anyhow, moving on...

We stopped in Murchison for lunch on the way to Nelson and there was an old store which had this car outside:
IMG_6998.JPG

As you arrive in Nelson, you go past the World of Wearable Art and Classic Car Museum so we popped in:
IMG_7042.JPG

IMG_7045.JPG

IMG_7085.JPG

29 April

Nelson...love this place.

We started off walking through the town and then Queen's Park and ended up having lunch in the little cafe there. Now I have to tell you that NZ has just the BEST coffee and cake shops I have ever experienced and they are everywhere. Every one of them has a massive array of cakes and sandwiches but often pies. In NZ, the pie is king and you can get every conceivable filling. I could only drool. However, I was spoilt for choice when it came to GF cakes and they do mean little frittata muffins which are to die for.

I'm not one to post food pictures but I tell you my GF lunch was just the best - the muffin with creme fraiche and a little tartlet. Tom devoured his pie!

Snapseed.jpg

Just loved all the old and interesting houses in Nelson:
IMG_7188.JPG

IMG_7192.JPG

IMG_7250.JPG

IMG_7254.JPG

IMG_7266.JPG

28th April

Time to catch up! I was going to wait until we got broadband but it has been delayed until 6th June! I lost it at that point and threatened to cancel the order so they said that they would try and expedite it and will let me know on Monday. They had better have a plan. It will be 3 weeks without broadband. Anyhow, moving on...

We stopped in Murchison for lunch on the way to Nelson and there was an old store which had this car outside:
View attachment 93991

As you arrive in Nelson, you go past the World of Wearable Art and Classic Car Museum so we popped in:
View attachment 93992
View attachment 93993
View attachment 93994
Lovely delicious tones and textures in the first image of the old truck...

Super cool art images...

...and....

I. WANT. THAT. CAR!!!!! :inlove::inlove::inlove:

30 April

Now where was I? I still haven't managed to catch up.

Oh yes, this day was a fabulous day in Nelson! We organised a wine and art tour through Vintage Wine Tours. Rod was just fantastic and took us to all these fab little art places that you would never have known about and to some great wine tasting places. We ended up for lunch in such a funky restaurant and had a great meal. Tom (yes, not me!) insisted on buying a large pottery platter which we ended up having to take on two flights, taxis etc etc. We had bought some lovely little pottery shells for dips and this sort of went with them, but still! It did get here in one piece but I shall put my foot down next time because it's always muggins who ends up carrying it! :lol:

Out in the Vineyards:
IMG_5686.JPG

The quirky restaurant we went to for lunch
IMG_5687.JPG

The infamous platter
IMG_5681.JPG

and there was an old store which had this car outside
Ack! That's an Isetta. My sister had one in college and I once had to drive it, on the freeway, from Berkeley to Sacramento -- one of the more terrifying experiences of my life. The bow wake from a fast-moving semi would push the Isetta 6 feet to the side.

May 1st

Yesterday had been a pretty good day with quite a lot of sun but literally the minute we got in the car to travel up to Abel Tasman National Park early evening, it threw it down and the rain was torrential. I had to drive as Tom had been doing most of the wine tasting. I have never in my life driven in such horrendous conditions along winding narrow roads. Fortunately, it was only for an hour and a half. We had booked into pretty basic accommodation - it's very much hiking, camping, kayaking territory. The only way you can get into the park is by way of water taxis! Anyhow, that night was cold and the little heater pretty useless but the duvet was warm so we slept well enough.

So today we took a water taxi up the coast and did a four hour hike back down to a point where the water taxi picked us up again.

We ended up being one of the last to climb into the boat just because of where we were standing so we sat at the back with no protection from the cold wind. I was right on the outside and chilled to the bone by the time we got to our destination. I had good hiking gear with a fleece - perfect for hiking but not for a water taxi. The water taxi itself was quite novel, we climbed into the boat at the cafe. A tractor then pulled the trailer and boat along the road, down the ramp onto and along the sand to the water, backed up into the water and tipped the boat into the water. Off we went.

Fortunately the sun began to shine and it turned out a lovely day and I soon warmed up hiking at pace.

The highlight of the day were the birds and seeing a manta ray close in, in the shallow water. Lots of people were kayaking along the coast and staying at little places along the way. I thought of our FundyBrian and how much he would enjoy this sort of trip.

Some of the stunning scenery:
Snapseed.jpg

The tractor pulling the water taxi:
Snapseed.jpg

The manta ray:
View attachment 94127

May 2nd

We travelled down from Abel Tasman to Hanmer Springs because the town is about an hour and half away from Christchurch so we only have to drive this distance tomorrow to get our flight to Sydney. We got there in time to play 9 holes of golf and even though I was a bit grumpy and not in the mood to play it was nice to be out in the fresh air and it was a pleasant course (although don't tell the DH I said that!)

We went through Murchison again and had lunch at our favourite cafe.

Some of the interesting scenery on the way:
Snapseed.jpg

May 3rd

We are woken at 5am in the morning by a shrill, constant alarm. Oh no, clearly a fire alarm. We sit up in bed for a minute or two wondering whether it is a mistake or whether we need to take it seriously. We are on the ground floor with our own verandah door to the outside so we are not particularly worried. Wearily I pull on my dressing gown with my puffer jacket over the top, grab my bag and phone and drudge outside with the DH dragging his heels behind me.

We meet in the car park with lots of the other guests. There are no staff in sight and we have no idea what's going on. Another guest tells me that there is apparently a staff member checking all the rooms but I see nobody. Anyhow, a car races into the car park somebody gets out and rushes in. Next minute we hear a fire engine down the road (and they are based literally just down the road) but by this time it's been a good 25 minutes. It roars into the car park nearly flattening half the guests and the chaps spill out into the hotel while another fire engine arrives. 10 minutes later the alarm goes off. Everybody troops back inside.

At no point during this whole operation do I see one member of staff. At no point during this whole operation does anybody speak to us! Pretty poor I think. The next day, the reception asks me if I had a good stay without any mention whatsoever about the fire. When I mention it, the chap becomes all defensive and says that it was real, you know. Some tea towels 'self-combusted' in a bucket in the kitchen. Hmmm. Right.

The guests all waiting outside not knowing what's going on:
Snapseed.jpg

The fire engines have finally arrived:
IMG_7464.JPG

Ann, you have to go back when it's summer. I want to see grapes on those vines and hear you say how warm it is. Fabulous images one and all. I love this trip.:inlove:
Summer must be amazing but I must say that it wasn't half as cold as I had expected. In fact, Japan was colder and I totally should have swapped suitcases for the two trips!

Have you been to NZ, Jilly? You really must put it on your list!

May 1st

Yesterday had been a pretty good day with quite a lot of sun but literally the minute we got in the car to travel up to Abel Tasman National Park early evening, it threw it down and the rain was torrential. I had to drive as Tom had been doing most of the wine tasting. I have never in my life driven in such horrendous conditions along winding narrow roads. Fortunately, it was only for an hour and a half. We had booked into pretty basic accommodation - it's very much hiking, camping, kayaking territory. The only way you can get into the park is by way of water taxis! Anyhow, that night was cold and the little heater pretty useless but the duvet was warm so we slept well enough.

So today we took a water taxi up the coast and did a four hour hike back down to a point where the water taxi picked us up again.

We ended up being one of the last to climb into the boat just because of where we were standing so we sat at the back with no protection from the cold wind. I was right on the outside and chilled to the bone by the time we got to our destination. I had good hiking gear with a fleece - perfect for hiking but not for a water taxi. The water taxi itself was quite novel, we climbed into the boat at the cafe. A tractor then pulled the trailer and boat along the road, down the ramp onto and along the sand to the water, backed up into the water and tipped the boat into the water. Off we went.

Fortunately the sun began to shine and it turned out a lovely day and I soon warmed up hiking at pace.

The highlight of the day were the birds and seeing a manta ray close in, in the shallow water. Lots of people were kayaking along the coast and staying at little places along the way. I thought of our FundyBrian and how much he would enjoy this sort of trip.

Some of the stunning scenery:
View attachment 94125

The tractor pulling the water taxi:
View attachment 94126

The manta ray:
View attachment 94127
You're absolutely right. My type of trip.

Ack! That's an Isetta. My sister had one in college and I once had to drive it, on the freeway, from Berkeley to Sacramento -- one of the more terrifying experiences of my life. The bow wake from a fast-moving semi would push the Isetta 6 feet to the side.
I wonder if this was the inspiration for the design of the Smart Car?

May 1st

Torrential rain + narrow winding roads = :barf: :eek: :barf: But wow what a beautiful hike you had! I'd SO LOVE to go to NZ and hike, but I think I'd be nervous doing it alone... seems so wild and remote. These little trails I do in New Jersey are fine to do alone, but somewhere like that (or Alaska, Canada, any true wilderness) I wouldn't be comfortable by myself.

May 3rd

We are woken at 5am in the morning by a shrill, constant alarm. Oh no, clearly a fire alarm. We sit up in bed for a minute or two wondering whether it is a mistake or whether we need to take it seriously. We are on the ground floor with our own verandah door to the outside so we are not particularly worried. Wearily I pull on my dressing gown with my puffer jacket over the top, grab my bag and phone and drudge outside with the DH dragging his heels behind me.
Your story telling is great and I was totally "there" with you all... and it made me LOL several times!! :lol: Glad it was nothing serious, but now you have a great story! ;)

Back
Top Bottom