MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
Although I've never attempted to switch, I can relate to the horror as described in this article. :eek:

Apple trapped me on iOS — perhaps forever

by Damon Beres

My iPhone may as well be lodged in my brainstem, right between the pons and medulla oblongata. I don't like to admit it, but Lord Tim Cook above me, it's true: This electronic slab is connected to my mental being more than any other object on this planet, save my wedding band.

And last week, it made me crazy.

If you've never tried to break up with an iPhone before, I'll tell you this much: It's not easy. After a year on iOS following many more on Android, I wanted to prove to myself that I could leave Apple's "walled garden" without feeling like I'd sacrificed something. In the end, I couldn't do it, and I feel completely, painfully owned by the richest corporation on planet Earth.

Trying and failing
Here was the idea: Simply leave my iPhone 7 in favor of a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. I got my mitts on Samsung's latest phone for just around $300 in part because I bought a recalled Galaxy Note 7 last year. I was offered about a $600 discount, and it was hard to pass up.

Plus, the Note 8 was what I wanted. The screen is big and gorgeous, the S Pen stylus is fun to work with, and I legitimately benefited from multitasking features that let you use two apps at once. The entertainment options—excessively widescreen Instapaper, emulated video games, whatever—were also far superior. It had everything you could ask for in a phone.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F610939%2F8c51d989-30e7-4025-aebe-5241d8c4c49c.jpg

The Galaxy Note 8.

The problem is that iOS is incredibly sticky. Once you're locked into an iPhone, leaving the ecosystem is torturous, especially if most of the people in your life also use iOS. Suddenly, after I switched to Android, I was missing text messages. My friends and I were no longer able to rely on the "conversations" we had set up in Apple's Messages app. I tried to get group chats going on Signal, Twitter, and Facebook Messenger, but ultimately, we chatted a lot less thanks to the increased friction of having to chat in apps we weren't naturally spending a lot of time using.

SEE ALSO: iMessage is the only thing keeping me on an iPhone

Apps like Snapchat and Instagram couldn't handle the Note 8's oddly proportioned screen, so media didn't always display properly. Sending photos and videos to my friends required additional steps. I could no longer be sure that the pictures I took would look quite the same on my wife's iPhone thanks to the different levels of color saturation on the Note 8's screen.

I regretted everything, and I hated the feeling that Apple had trapped me. For years, I used Android devices without any concerns. After switching to an iPhone 7, moving back now seems impossible.

Slightly evil!
Apple exerts itself through the iPhone in a way that no other tech manufacturer can through Android.

There are, of course, basic concerns about how these devices impact our lives. The iPhone is basically engineered to addict you. Its buzzes and beeps beg you, unceasingly, to look at the screen. Social apps offer endless feeds of information and assurances—Like! Retweet!—from everyone you know. It's a portal to a parade of minor surprises that will keep us all refreshing until we die.

SEE ALSO: The iPhone 8 will fuel Apple's Upgrade Program, and that's a bad thing

But where Apple differs from its competition is in its total control over the product. On an iPhone, you don't use standard SMS texting: you use iMessage. If Apple pushes out an iOS update, every user can access it. And if you want to use wired headphones on a new iPhone, you must use Apple's proprietary Lightning port (no headphone jack for you).

Through all of this, Apple can encourage consumers to upgrade their devices like clockwork, perhaps unnecessarily (consider how each new iOS release removes a generation of iPhones from compatibility) and goad you into decisions you may not be comfortable with (such as using Face ID on the iPhone X).

SEE ALSO: Apple opens up about Face ID's security

Android, the only real threat to iOS, is different. Though developed and released by Google, it's open source, which means any company can make and market an Android device. Maybe a company like Samsung wants to develop a tweaked version of Android, put a really gorgeous screen on it, and charge close to $1,000 for a premium handset: It can, just like Motorola can develop a less stunning Android device for $230.

Accept total control from Apple, or surrender to a mess from Android
This is great, philosophically, because the diversity of products means different consumer needs are served. (No surprise, the vast majorityof smartphones in the world run Android.) It's also kind of terrible, because it means Android doesn't really do anything all that well.

Texting is a mess, apps receive uneven support with wildly inconsistent user experiences, and updates to the operating system are almost entirely out of Google's hands. (Most users are on a version of Android that's at least two years old.)

The bottom line here is that smartphone users have two options: Accepting total control from Apple, or surrendering to a mess from Android. Google's Pixel phone, the latest of which launches today, tries to mitigate this problem by offering direct updates from Google and the "purest" form of Android out there, but it's still not much of a comparison. After a period of resistance, I've accepted Apple.

Apple punished me through iMessage
Like I said: Navigating away from iOS was a nightmare. It didn't help that almost every single person I genuinely care about uses an iPhone, which means they also use iMessage. It's a proprietary texting service that takes the place of SMS for iPhone users, and it works very well: It is, arguably, Apple's killer app.

The problem is that, because it is proprietary and because it replaces SMS by default, leaving iMessage puts you in a monstrously confusing position. If you switch to Android from iOS, I can nearly guarantee that you will miss texts from people you care about, and you may not be able to figure out how to fix it, exactly.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F610955%2Fe2acd3f5-86b4-4f3c-a208-0fa02f9fe49c.gif

Three years ago, Apple was sued over this. In essence, your phone number would become associated with iMessage, and Apple's system would prevent you from receiving texts on your new Android device. Apple eventually introduced a web service to help users de-register from iMessage, and the lawsuit was dismissed.

It is still an unbelievable pain to deal with. Before you switch to Android, you'll want to make sure you disable iMessage on all of your Apple devices. Even then, you can still miss heaps of messages on your new Android device.

When it happened to me, I called Apple's customer support. They suggested I ask all of my friends with iPhones to delete our previous text threads and then to dig into the settings for their Messages app and enable the "Send as SMS" function, which forces your iMessages to send as normal texts when necessary.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F610953%2F8ddcdb11-91e3-4d85-8ac4-37f4aedd5e66.gif

Amazingly, the customer support rep told me this setting is off by default—a fact we later confirmed on a brand new iPhone 8—because Apple is concerned about people unwittingly being charged by their carrier for text messages. A PR rep for the company did not respond when I reached out about this coversation.

To recap: I did everything I possibly could to fix text messaging. When that didn't work, Apple suggested I reach out to everyone I wanted to message and have them go through a tedious process to fix it. The whole thing made texting feel like a burden rather than something I actually enjoyed.

I eventually got group texts to work with some people, but not others. One thread was populated by three close friends, all of whom are tech journalists, and we threw our hands up in exasperation. If we couldn't figure it out, I can only say godspeed to the moms and dads sprinkled in isolation throughout the suburbs of our planet.

And sure, perhaps you and your friends are not iMessage people. After this experience, I certainly wished I could say the same. You may still find that so many things that worked so well on iOS simply do not on Android: Seamlessly adding media is very easy in Apple's Messages, and essentially not possible in the popular Textra app for Android. The Samsung camera app requires a master's in physics to use properly. The aspect ratio of your Android screen may be different enough from the iPhone, such that Instagram Stories crop words off and Snapchat Discover looks like digital vomit.

Perhaps all of this is to say that Apple has designed the perfect smartphone. It is in many ways a miracle device. But it is one you may find you are locked into, one that may take a legitimate mental toll if you should ever try to escape it. And that is an incredible price to pay indeed.

http://mashable.com/2017/10/04/the-iphone-owns-my-soul/?utm_cid=hp-r-1#GB_kd_fNIOqP

I, too, love Apple products and I don't feel trapped in the least. I feel saved from the confusion of Android. Apple learned way back in the early computer days that if you allowed 3rd parties to build clones of your product you ended up with a mess. The Windows world is a perfect example that proves Apple correct in maintaining control over every aspect of development and manufacture. That's one of the things that makes Apple products work so well. The 2nd is that it makes only top quality products. There is no lower quality line of Apple products.
3rd: Apple is a true innovator that continues to lead the way for the rest to follow.
With Apple products I feel I'm on the winning team.
It's true that Apple sometimes annoys its customers with obsolescence but that is pretty standard in technology products. On the other hand, accommodating every old piece of equipment in an advancing operating system would make it bloated and not work very well. And really, we all wanted a new iPad or whatever anyway and we just needed an excuse to make the leap.
You don't see car dealers keeping your 5 year old car up to current specs. Each year your new car becomes old news.
Cameras are old the moment you walk out of the shop. In fact just about all electronic gear becomes outdated right away.
I can't think of anything else that continues to be updated and receive new features, even a few years after you have bought it, the way iPhones etc are.
I'm a little puzzled about the iMessage SMS issue. I don't have any problem exchanging texts with Android users.

I, too, love Apple products and I don't feel trapped in the least. I feel saved from the confusion of Android. Apple learned way back in the early computer days that if you allowed 3rd parties to build clones of your product you ended up with a mess. The Windows world is a perfect example that proves Apple correct in maintaining control over every aspect of development and manufacture. That's one of the things that makes Apple products work so well. The 2nd is that it makes only top quality products. There is no lower quality line of Apple products.
3rd: Apple is a true innovator that continues to lead the way for the rest to follow.
With Apple products I feel I'm on the winning team.
It's true that Apple sometimes annoys its customers with obsolescence but that is pretty standard in technology products. On the other hand, accommodating every old piece of equipment in an advancing operating system would make it bloated and not work very well. And really, we all wanted a new iPad or whatever anyway and we just needed an excuse to make the leap.
You don't see car dealers keeping your 5 year old car up to current specs. Each year your new car becomes old news.
Cameras are old the moment you walk out of the shop. In fact just about all electronic gear becomes outdated right away.
I can't think of anything else that continues to be updated and receive new features, even a few years after you have bought it, the way iPhones etc are.
I'm a little puzzled about the iMessage SMS issue. I don't have any problem exchanging texts with Android users.
Ah yes but Apple made the mistake originally of making all their own software so Windows won the war withthe PC because it had more and better software. This time around Apple let other developers create the apps and now it has better software.

Forget the hardware. Software is king.

Microsoft made the mistake when it got into phones of not redesigning the software from scratch. It tried to cobble together a Windows operating system on the phone and it was disasterous. I am surprised they haven't redesigned a new OS for the phone. They have no vision anymore without Bill. They still have business tightly in their grip but not the man in the street.

I would love to see a decent competitor out there to match Apple devices. Android is awful. If I felt that a manufacturer brought out a really significantly better camera on a phone, I would definitely hesitate because the awful OS would drive me insane although I would welcome a better file management system for photography workflow.

However, for me the PC is still king. As a techie I find the MAC too controlling and it's constant updating of software irritating. PC versions last for years. I still operate an old XP desktop and if I buy software it still works with it as well as the latest operating system.

All very interesting, but I have to say its all about choices. I'm sure the Apple marketing team love articles like that.
Android isn't a mess.
Android isn't awful.

Ah yes but Apple made the mistake originally of making all their own software so Windows won the war withthe PC because it had more and better software. This time around Apple let other developers create the apps and now it has better software.

Forget the hardware. Software is king.

What? Don't forget that without the Mac the IBM crowd would still be using DOS. Windows was their attempt to copy the Mac.
Way back then Mac was known for doing extensive testing with ordinary people to make sure the user interface made sense and could be figured out easily. It made a big difference to usability.
I spent more than a year checking out what both sides had to offer before I chose Mac in the early 90s and never felt I had made the wrong choice. Whenever I had experience with Windows I would shake my head in dismay. It was awful. All the professional work for publishing and printing was being done on Mac. All the best graphics & photography software was on Mac. One problem was that Windows didn't have colour & contrast calibrated monitors for several years after Mac had them so they had no standard by which to work with colour in design work and photography. You could adjust a windows monitor however you thought looked best and be unaware that all your colour and contrast adjustments were wrong. If you didn't work with a calibrated monitor you didn't have a leg to stand on when you took files to a printer. Commercial printers would shudder if someone brought in a Windows project because they knew there was going to be a lot of work required to make it usable. This is why windows computers were common for non-critical jobs like typing or data entry but Macs were almost exclusive in the creative arts, photography, graphic design, illustration, page layout, etc.
If you remember back then, when you bought Photoshop or any other graphics software the very first thing in the manual was making sure your system was colour calibrated. It was pointless to start adjusting images on an uncalibrated system.

Everybody's on the wrong track here except rizole. :lmao:

First, this guy deserves no sympathy. He's a "tech journalist" and he didn't see this problem coming? He jumped blithely from one platform to another without checking to see if his tools are going to work and his data's going to be accessible? :rolleyes: Yes, I've made mistakes like that, too, but I blame them on my own stupidity, not on someone else's nefarious purpose.

Second, although the heads, subheads, and See Alsos in the article focus on Apple, he spends about equals amounts of time dumping on both Apple and Android, cleverly (he thinks) using each one to bash the other. This is a classic flamebait strategy from someone whose basic motivation is to Get Clicks.

Third, he needs an editor who knows the meaning of non sequitor.

Fourth, despite the impression he attempts to give, iOS works fine with SMS texting. I send SMS from my iPhone, and I receive SMS on my iPhone. (I've sent texts to an iPhone from a Nokia 105 running Nokia OS, for dog's sake.)

Yes, there's a switch in Messages preferences you have to flip in order to have your iPhone fall back to SMS when it can't send via iMessage. Our boy is astonished that this switch is set to Off by default. And if it were set to On by default, some people (perhaps the same people) would be complaining about the phone silently falling back to using SMS which costs them money. Whenever you have a pref switch with on/off positions, some people will want it on and some will want it off. That's why there's a switch. No one should be astonished that some default prefs don't match their personal prefs. The prefs are there so that you can adapt the system to you.

NB for Android folks: The messaging system is called iMessage, but the app on iOS and Mac OS is called Messages.

Fifth, despite the hipster angst, flamebait, and general unfocused rambling, there is one (and only one) actual issue in this article: When you use iMessage on your iPhone, your phone number gets attached to the iMessage system. If you want to jump to Android (or Nokia OS :D), you need to "deregister" your phone number from iMessage. If you don't, then when iPhone users send you texts using iMessage, the iMessage system will keep trying to send them via the iMessage pathway, so they will not reach you. If you do deregister, and if your iPhone/iMessage using friends are cosmopolitan enough to have other Android using friends (so they've flipped the SMS fallback switch), then the texts will go through.

This should be better -- it's doable, but it is the kind of thing that will trip up switchers who aren't at least a bit tech savvy. (And then -- you know this for certain -- those people will then call you, or me, or one of our brothers and sisters in the ranks of unofficial tech support.) I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to change, though.

Sixth, the instances he lists to support the claim of the iPhone being "sticky" are, with the exception of iMessages, instances of smartphones in general being sticky.

There is so much else wrong with this article, I could waste my entire morning dicing it up, but I think I need to go out and take some pictures.

In some other thread around here I said that no company is your friend. I'd like to amend that to say that tech journalists and tech media aren't your friends either. They have to fill the waiting spaces every day and they need your clicks to survive, so many too many of them will say almost anything to get those clicks, secure in the knowledge that no one's going to remember tomorrow that they were full of ^%@#$ today. (Me, cynical?)

Last edited:
Everybody's on the wrong track here except rizole. :lmao:

First, this guy deserves no sympathy. He's a "tech journalist" and he didn't see this problem coming? He jumped blithely from one platform to another without checking to see if his tools are going to work and his data's going to be accessible? :rolleyes: Yes, I've made mistakes like that, too, but I blame them on my own stupidity, not on someone else's nefarious purpose.

Second, although the heads, subheads, and See Alsos in the article focus on Apple, he spends about equals amounts of time dumping on both Apple and Android, cleverly (he thinks) using each one to bash the other. This is a classic flamebait strategy from someone whose basic motivation is to Get Clicks.

Third, he needs an editor who knows the meaning of non sequitor.

Fourth, despite the impression he attempts to give, iOS works fine with SMS texting. I send SMS from my iPhone, and I receive SMS on my iPhone. (I've sent texts to an iPhone from a Nokia 105 running Nokia OS, for dog's sake.)

Yes, there's a switch in Messages preferences you have to flip in order to have your iPhone fall back to SMS when it can't send via iMessage. Our boy is astonished that this switch is set to Off by default. And if it were set to On by default, some people (perhaps the same people) would be complaining about the phone silently falling back to using SMS which costs them money. Whenever you have a pref switch with on/off positions, some people will want it on and some will want it off. That's why there's a switch. No one should be astonished that some default prefs don't match their personal prefs. The prefs are there so that you can adapt the system to you.

NB for Android folks: The messaging system is called iMessage, but the app on iOS and Mac OS is called Messages.

Fifth, despite the hipster angst, flamebait, and general unfocused rambling, there is one (and only one) actual issue in this article: When you use iMessage on your iPhone, your phone number gets attached to the iMessage system. If you want to jump to Android (or Nokia OS :D), you need to "deregister" your phone number from iMessage. If you don't, then when iPhone users send you texts using iMessage, the iMessage system will keep trying to send them via the iMessage pathway, so they will not reach you. If you do deregister, and if your iPhone/iMessage using friends are cosmopolitan enough to have other Android using friends (so they've flipped the SMS fallback switch), then the texts will go through.

This should be better -- it's doable, but it is the kind of thing that will trip up switchers who aren't at least a bit tech savvy. (And then -- you know this for certain -- those people will then call you, or me, or one of our brothers and sisters in the ranks of unofficial tech support.) I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to change, though.

Sixth, the instances he lists to support the claim of the iPhone being "sticky" are, with the exception of iMessages, instances of smartphones in general being sticky.

There is so much else wrong with this article, I could waste my entire morning dicing it up, but I think I need to go out and take some pictures.

In some other thread around here I said that no company is your friend. I'd like to amend that to say that tech journalists and tech media aren't your friends either. They have to fill the waiting spaces every day and they need your clicks to survive, so many too many of them will say almost anything to get those clicks, secure in the knowledge that no one's going to remember tomorrow that they were full of ^%@#$ today. (Me, cynical?)
......and......

mic drop
:coffee:

What's awful about it?
I didn't find it intuitive at all and I just hated all the extra unwanted apps that Samsung preloaded. And before I get a total bashing, it was my first smartphone and pre any Apple experience so I had no preconceived ideas of a smartphone. (Having said that I did like the Samsung Tablet 10 because the screen was fab at that time and the stylus was great but the software just wasn't quite there for me.) I actually went back to my Palm phone. If it wasn't for the Apple iPhone camera, I would probably still be with my Palm phone :lol:. Loved the backup system and it had 4 simple apps which is really all you need in a phone. I finally went the Apple route because I discovered Mobitog and iPhoneography. I found the Apple iphone and ipad just more intuitive and the software less glitchy but the MAC too restrictive.

Back
Top Bottom