APPstract RESULT: APPstract #29 Theme: Experimentation

A7F03D1E-BCA1-449A-B4A1-0F4B0BA36E81.jpeg

I put an old image through four JixiPix apps I have not used except to check them out on purchase years ago: Moku Hanga, Rain something, Romantic something and Snow something. Then i did my best to mask those changes in Glaze (thank you NickLeon) SketchClub and SnapSeed.

I think exams and the like have temporarily compromised my ‘experimental’ :(

When you said “flow” I thought “run down the page” so I tried the Abstract>Swirl brush in iColorama.

To make it look more like yours, I added Glass.

View attachment 154137

Then I tried Elasticam to push the pixels around.
I then went to Procreate, which I don’t use often, and tried Liquify.

View attachment 154139

So then I decided to actually see what you were talking about, and went to Simone Webb’s gallery. I’m semi-convinced that’s she’s using a Smudge brush. Here are some long smudges and a little Magic Dust from Repix.

I still haven’t been able to reproduce exactly what she does, but it may have to do with brush characteristics and selections.

Always appreciate your mini-tutes, Jerry :notworthy:

John, it was partly to broaden that troublesome definition that i called the thread ‘APP’- stract as opposed to ’Abstract’. I kept the rules simple^^^ for the same reason.

When you (and most photographers) use apps in, say, the BW challenge, you're usually looking to perfect some aspect of your representative image. In this kind of challenge, it's almost the opposite. Here you are invited to play with the transformative possibilities of your apps.

Looking at an image in BW, we might not immediately know what if any apps you‘ve used***. Here, the apps are front & centre (‘in your face’, if you like). It’s a different aesthetic AND, as with JillyG ‘s gorgeous flower image, it‘s an opportunity for us to learn more about what’s out there and what they can do.

[***Pause to plug our recent reminder drive: that‘s part of the reason we ask people to list the apps used and in the order you applied them].

^^^Rules: 1. Interpret the theme 2. Use apps 3. Tell us something about your image/edit

Finally, my careful explanation above is obviously redundant, because as you know, I know, and all the regs on MobiTog know, not only you can, but also sometimes you actually do, post perfectly wonderful APP-stracts that everyone falls about appreciating.

But, you know, there‘s nothing I wouldn’t do for MobiTog’s Shrinking-Violet-In-Residence :mobibabe:
Great explanation Jen, you know why I ask these questions, it's always good to recap what we're about :thumbs:

View attachment 154149
I put an old image through four JixiPix apps I have not used except to check them out on purchase years ago: Moku Hanga, Rain something, Romantic something and Snow something. Then i did my best to mask those changes in Glaze (thank you NickLeon) SketchClub and SnapSeed.

I like this a lot, printed large on canvas on a dark coffee shop wall it would look fabulous.

View attachment 154149

Awesome. I love it.

For me, a shrinking violet, I'm never sure what this thread is. Originally I thought it was 'abstract' or an abstract made with apps, but recently I'm seeing more and more, not sure what the word is, things that are more literal like Jilly's flower. So maybe, or maybe its only me, people are not sure what to post?
Post anything you want. I googled abstract art once and followed a Wikipedia link then followed another link, then another...... Ultimately it covered just about everything except realism. But maybe I just didn’t click on that link.

if you think about it too much your head will explode. At least mine did.:lmao:

I’ve used modules in I colorana that I normally never hit “apply” after trying them due to it not being my style. This time I hit apply.
So this is A storefront of mannequin legs wearing stockings that I think looks a bit like a forest now?
4B0D3E69-6E00-480A-9DE2-C94B1AD2BCF8.jpeg

I’ve used modules in I colorana that I normally never hit “apply” after trying them due to it not being my style. This time I hit apply.
So this is A storefront of mannequin legs wearing stockings that I think looks a bit like a forest now? View attachment 154161
Yes, a forest, in a library (it looks like to me). Revenge of the tree ghosts? Or the student library at Ent University?

D927F78C-1E17-41C1-8953-481623B0460E.jpeg

Further experiments in painting: Sharkfin Rock at Davenport
This time the app is Adobe PaintCan. It doesn't offer the selection of brushes, palettes, etc. that iC Painter does, but unlike the auto-painting of iCP, PaintCan lets you paint with your finger or stylus to control where and how much. It has a handful of styles, from coarse to fine, so you can lay down a rough background and follow with a finer rendition of your subject on top.

DAC04791-920D-4470-B5A4-9E1FE4479B71.jpeg
“Enough Already!”

Firstlight, Snapseed, ColorStory, PicStitch, Waterlogue, NativePhotoApp, ImageBlender...

At the beginning of the week, this started as still life shot of a lampshade. I then took several shots with various film simulations with Firstlight. Decided to create a collage of said shots, plus Image blended a couple parking lot stripes in for good measure. Created half a dozen variants together with various blend modes...Whipped out Waterlogue and also blended in a flower shot I took this week ... Stood back from the phone and thought... “Enough Already”

I think that there is a lady called Nicki FitzGerald who is very into this sort of thing and written plenty of articles about it.

Yes, Nicki was an early leading light in ’iphoneography’. She has authored/co-authored (Venomator would know) several books in the area. Likewise several iColorama workshops . . . Starzee, JillyG, RoseCat help me out here? And Nicki is a member here, too.

So this is A storefront of mannequin legs wearing stockings that I think looks a bit like a forest now? View attachment 154161
I see all sorts of things in there! And I love the idea!

I’ve had Distressed X for a while but rarely use it. Today I took three of my abstracts and collaged them, then spattered stuff in them from fun little app Repix that I use a bit, finally I took my new child into Distressed X. Remember in art class as kids, we used crayons to colour a whole sheet of paper, then added black paint over all of it and when it dried we scratched out pictures?
So that happened :) here it is.
BD624E6A-164B-48DC-B985-DB3AA4C0151C.jpeg

I purchased Procreate last week, which like iColorama is way beyond me. When I have 10 layers and each layer has about 15-20 bending modes I never know when to quit.(or can't quit) Here's a current rest stop.
Paremecium palaver
View attachment 154164
I have the same problem with Procreate. It is my favorite app.

You can find my slightly misguided Procreate Tutorial here.
I thought I could walk through the app, but came to realize there are hundreds of YouTube videos that can explain way better than I. However, there are also links to a few of those videos and I would be delighted to answer any specific questions if I can. If I can’t probably someone else can. There are a few of us Procreate people here.

I’ve had Distressed X for a while but rarely use it. Today I took three of my abstracts and collaged them, then spattered stuff in them from fun little app Repix that I use a bit, finally I took my new child into Distressed X. Remember in art class as kids, we used crayons to colour a whole sheet of paper, then added black paint over all of it and when it dried we scratched out pictures?
So that happened :) here it is. View attachment 154186
Fab. It reminds me a little of psychedelic sunglasses. I think they’d be a great invention for when we’re tired of reality. I might never take them off.

View attachment 154169“Enough Already!”

Firstlight, Snapseed, ColorStory, PicStitch, Waterlogue, NativePhotoApp, ImageBlender...

At the beginning of the week, this started as still life shot of a lampshade. Ith Firstlight. Decided to create a collage of said shots, plus Image blended a couple parking lot stripes in for good measure. Created half a dozen variants together with various blend modes...Whipped out Waterlogue and also blended in a flower shot I took this week ... Stood back from the phone and thought... “Enough Already”

At the beginning, a still life shot:
then several, with
various film simulations.

Additions, for good measure.
Half a dozen variants.
Blended. Whipped. Stood back.

Enough.

(I’ll have to check with Starzee if my summary counts as a haiku. But in my eyes your process is a haiku :inlove: )

:notworthy:
View attachment 154165

Further experiments in painting: Sharkfin Rock at Davenport
This time the app is Adobe PaintCan. It doesn't offer the selection of brushes, palettes, etc. that iC Painter does, but unlike the auto-painting of iCP, PaintCan lets you paint with your finger or stylus to control where and how much. It has a handful of styles, from coarse to fine, so you can lay down a rough background and follow with a finer rendition of your subject on top.

so lovely. I have PaintCan, but, like any app with more than three instructions or choices to get started, it sits, growing cobwebs, in my ‘too hard basket’.

the way you‘ve done the sea and the dark base of those rocks . . . :inlove: And the contrast with the brush (what do US people call coastal grasses?) . . . well, i‘m inspired to have another go at PaintCan. :notworthy: :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom