APPstract APPstract #52 25 June-9July Theme From the archives

1656876883088.jpeg

Gaia Theory no. 5 (c.2017)
“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together … all things connect.” —Chief Seattle

“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” —Jane Goodall

Well, this is the perfect theme for me as I haven’t created an art piece in….years??… I’m not sure this series was very “popular” but I really like them - a bit of commentary on what humans are doing to our planet. If I remember correctly, I blended one of my textured backgrounds with a nature image, maybe also Snapseed or Mextures were involved?

View attachment 182628
“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together … all things connect.” —Chief Seattle

“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” —Jane Goodall

Well, this is the perfect theme for me as I haven’t created an art piece in….years??… I’m not sure this series was very “popular” but I really like them - a bit of commentary on what humans are doing to our planet. If I remember correctly, I blended one of my textured backgrounds with a nature image, maybe also Snapseed or Mextures were involved?
I like this. That plaster wall (or whatever it orginally was) works great behind the trees, and the pale color palette is perfect.

View attachment 182628

I remember this series :inlove: I would never think of this combination, but the realistic nature scene and the obviously human-made background is a perfect response to the two quotes :notworthy:

(What I love about this art form: there’s abstract then there’s abstract and then there’s abstract )

(2018) Let me take you away from all this

300FEA31-1F5A-43D3-ABF9-1E8B9865B18C.jpeg
An early play with Mixerpiece. I love that app, but it’s so !$@?% hard to manoeuvre the cutouts on the canvas that I end up throwing up my hands. I don’t know how others do it (eg some artists I used to follow on IG do fabulous collages with MP). juryjone Jerry what’s the secret?

Non-MP elements from SketchClub: either drawn (eg bird) or community brushes (eg leaf)

An early play with Mixerpiece. I love that app, but it’s so !$@?% hard to manoeuvre the cutouts on the canvas that I end up throwing up my hands. I don’t know how others do it (eg some artists I used to follow on IG do fabulous collages with MP). juryjone Jerry what’s the secret?

Non-MP elements from SketchClub: either drawn (eg bird) or community brushes (eg leaf)
Love this - and all your Mixerpiece creations.

Well, I have trouble using Mixerpiece myself, so I save off individual elements onto the plainest background I can. Then I mask out the background in iColorama. I either replace the background with green to use in Chroma or use the Save Knock feature to save it with a transparent background. I use this same technique with Freemix elements.

B48D8847-2DE5-4863-AB8B-6A10324F466D.png

Then I layer the elements in however I like in iColorama (or Procreate or SuperimposeX or etc.)

B2EFE244-5634-4B18-951E-A812F38B085B.png

AAE6865F-D648-4D65-9E26-129C4741354A.jpeg

City life
The original of this I shot in an alley with Slow Shutter Cam in 2020. At the time, I did several variations using ACDSee, probably Mextures, and something else. (I don't think it was iColorama because iC wipes out most of the EXIF data, and that didn't happen here.) Maybe Leonardo for some layers. Back then, I chose to post a midnight blue version (looked like it might have been a Difference blend). Today, browsing through the archives, I saw this and couldn't figure out why I hadn't posted it instead. So now it's getting its chance...

EDIT: A bit more research, and I discovered that I started with a number of ICMs shot in the alley and combined in a stack in Affinity Photo using Minimum mode. Then into ACDSee etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom