Judge: Starzee Star

Attachments

• 04BB12C9-010F-4575-BC71-514AA96BA503.jpeg
    04BB12C9-010F-4575-BC71-514AA96BA503.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The World of Broken Hearts

MidJourney, iColorama, Phonto

I suppose I need a ruling on MidJourney. Will cheerfully withdraw it if necessary.

From a song by Pomus/Shuman, which I heard covered by Elvis Costello.

Every night you’ll find me in the only world I own.
It’s a crowded place that’s filled with people all alone.
It’s a place that I could write a book about.
When they let you in, you’ll find there’s no way out.

Those who enter here are told to leave their dreams behind.
You may never get to sleep again, but you don’t mind.

23E455D1-AB56-4ACD-B69E-EDA65EC3F056.png

I suppose I need a ruling on MidJourney. Will cheerfully withdraw it if necessary.

View attachment 184317
Perfect!

I think you're safe on this thread ;)

That app isn’t available in the Au store, Jerry, and I don’t recognise any of the images in your collage piece, soI’m not sure what if any issue you anticipate . . . ?

However I’m happy to endorse John’s reassurance. I’ve skimmed a lot of material on ‘fair use/infringement’ in regards to abstract art, particularly collage, decoupage and the like. It all seems quite simple & sensible. If an artist explicitly claims ownership (eg by offering for sale) an image which relies on someone else’s (identifiable) work, s/he’s breaking copyright law. If s/he implicitly passes it off (eg by posting here without information about its provenance) as his/her own, s/he is behaving unethically.

Good faith interpretation of MobiTog’s standard of ‘tell us how you made the image’ seems to cover those bases quite nicely.

View attachment 184317
I can’t seem to get anywhere to create anything, but looking at the art and prompts, I don’t see it as any different than any other ai sort of creator.

View attachment 184317
Fabulous.:notworthy:

That app isn’t available in the Au store, Jerry, and I don’t recognise any of the images in your collage piece, soI’m not sure what if any issue you anticipate . . . ?

However I’m happy to endorse John’s reassurance. I’ve skimmed a lot of material on ‘fair use/infringement’ in regards to abstract art, particularly collage, decoupage and the like. It all seems quite simple & sensible. If an artist explicitly claims ownership (eg by offering for sale) an image which relies on someone else’s (identifiable) work, s/he’s breaking copyright law. If s/he implicitly passes it off (eg by posting here without information about its provenance) as his/her own, s/he is behaving unethically.

Good faith interpretation of MobiTog’s standard of ‘tell us how you made the image’ seems to cover those bases quite nicely.
I can’t seem to get anywhere to create anything, but looking at the art and prompts, I don’t see it as any different than any other ai sort of creator.
MidJourney is an AI that purely uses text entry, much more so than WomboDream. Dream allows for an input image, which can exert such a strong influence that the final image looks like the input. If I use my own images as input, I feel that the results are obviously mine. MidJourney, well, not nearly as much.

There are all kinds of ongoing discussions surrounding AI and ownership. But beyond that, there’s the issue of what the user of an AI actually contributes to the results. There are those that take an image directly out of an AI and call it their own. (I always modify the results through collage, toning, texturing, framing.) These people go so far as to keep their text prompts secret, as though those prompts ARE artistic input. (“I used the special words and I don’t want you to!”)

Here in the Appstract thread things are not strict enough to bar me from using anything other than copyrighted work, and it’s nice to have the thread available for digital artists. I guess I’m still a bit doubtful about these tools in my own mind, and that’s why I wanted to bring the subject up.

MidJourney is an AI that purely uses text entry, much more so than WomboDream. Dream allows for an input image, which can exert such a strong influence that the final image looks like the input. If I use my own images as input, I feel that the results are obviously mine. MidJourney, well, not nearly as much.

There are all kinds of ongoing discussions surrounding AI and ownership. But beyond that, there’s the issue of what the user of an AI actually contributes to the results. There are those that take an image directly out of an AI and call it their own. (I always modify the results through collage, toning, texturing, framing.) These people go so far as to keep their text prompts secret, as though those prompts ARE artistic input. (“I used the special words and I don’t want you to!”)

Here in the Appstract thread things are not strict enough to bar me from using anything other than copyrighted work, and it’s nice to have the thread available for digital artists. I guess I’m still a bit doubtful about these tools in my own mind, and that’s why I wanted to bring the subject up.
It is new territory. It doesn’t bother me, but I don’t feel comfortable posting it. And yes, if it wasn’t for APPStract Challenge, there would be nothing but our own threads.

zenjenny Jen asked if the theme is open to interpretation, yes it is. I should also include it’s open to mangling, for example “Other Words” or Otter World”. Don’t be shy!

Back
Top Bottom