MobiSupporter
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
Apologies for the delay.

“To be considered an abstract portrait, an artwork must incorporate two faculties: first, it must utilize the concept of portraiture in some way; and second it must be abstract, meaning it must deal with the realm of ideas, or at least avoid a purely objective or representational approach to reality” (source unknown - the definition appears on several different websites )

I never tire of abstract portraits - and these images are perfect examples of utilising the concept of portraiture in completely different ways - all clearly portraits [well, one dragonfly], no two alike. Thanks so much for all of them :inlove:

For the win: deepop David “Portrait of the artist in the three stages of man” .

D81BD065-8674-4E2D-B7D1-17A5E5237CAC.jpeg

I wrote my Hons thesis on James Joyce and for a moment I thought I was looking at Stephen Dedalus. I don’t know if David was riffing on Joyce’s “Portrait of the artist as a young man” but that “autobiography” is written as if by a child, then a young man, then an ageing man. Knocked my socks off, and a beautiful nostalgic moment :inlove::notworthy:

Second juryjone Jerry ‘s play (I think) on Edward Hopper’s (I think) People in the sun. Or was it Morning Sun? Whatever, Jerry has “avoiding a purely objective or representational approach to reality” down to a fine art :notworthy:

EF24556C-BDCD-412C-B26E-C3BE933D3CA0.png

HMs:
6728ACD8-A0A0-4AA6-86FC-3549170ED823.jpeg
JillyG Jilly for her dragonfly because, well, dragonfly :inlove:

91D0699E-E781-4F7F-8869-AE235D8DA942.jpeg
And
ImageArt Ann for her “me as Boris Johnson lookalike” because, well, look at it :D

#57 is here , awaiting David’s pleasure re a theme

Last edited:

ImageArt

IOTM Winner - February 2021
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
Apologies for the delay.

“To be considered an abstract portrait, an artwork must incorporate two faculties: first, it must utilize the concept of portraiture in some way; and second it must be abstract, meaning it must deal with the realm of ideas, or at least avoid a purely objective or representational approach to reality” (source unknown - the definition appears on several different websites )

I never tire of abstract portraits - and these images are perfect examples of utilising the concept of portraiture in completely different ways - all clearly portraits [well, one dragonfly], no two alike. Thanks so much for all of them :inlove:

I wrote my Hons thesis on James Joyce and for a moment I thought I was looking at Stephen Dedalus. I don’t know if David was riffing on Joyce’s “Portrait of the artist as a young man” but that “autobiography” is written as if by a child, then a young man, then an ageing man. Knocked my socks off, and a beautiful nostalgic moment :inlove::notworthy:

Second juryjone Jerry ‘s play (I think) on Edward Hopper’s (I think) People in the sun. Or was it Morning Sun? Whatever, Jerry has “avoiding a purely objective or representational approach to reality” down to a fine art :notworthy:

HMs:

And
ImageArt Ann for her “me as Boris Johnson lookalike” because, well, look at it :D

I have to say David’s contribution was inspirational! Brilliant, deepop ! Thanks for my HM and congrats to all the others.

deepop

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
David
Device
iPhone Xs
Onsite
Project Page
Apologies for the delay.

HMs:

And

Thanks, Jen. I was referencing Joyce’s title but I don’t remember having actually read the book. Congratulations to Jerry, Jilly, and Ann.

Top Bottom