• MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you've been notified! > For Terms & Rules Click Here <
  • Ynot consider a regular monthly Donation? It's now doable under the Donate tab! (A Donation of just £1/$1 per month will help cover our costs & assist with updates & improvements) HUGE THANKS to all our generous MobiSupporters!
  • NEW MEMBER NOTICE - Need assistance finding your way around Mobitog? > CLICK HERE FOR HELP SECTION <

Discussion: Are you really confident with clip-on lenses?

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Yes, I also have seen some other examples which were quite good. Only drawback for me is the price of the Moment case. 45€ is quite a lot. Maybe I find something else to attach the lens.
Yeah, a case 3/4 the cost of the lens seems a bit out of whack. At one point I did have a cheaper lens that used a clip-on system, so it would fit almost anything, but it was a pain to get it lined up right and keep it that way.

EDIT: Moment does have sales now and then and occasionally has used cases in stock. And there are some Moment Pixel 3 cases on eBay for less.

Starzee

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Well someone is sure confident.
That’s almost unbelievable. I’m still struggling to imagine how he got images of a fly’s eye. No amount of creeping up on it is going to get you that close to a fly, I don’t care what he says. Amazing images though. I’m well jeal (can you tell :lol: ).

Venomator

MobiAdmin
Admin
Site Staff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Yeah, a case 3/4 the cost of the lens seems a bit out of whack. At one point I did have a cheaper lens that used a clip-on system, so it would fit almost anything, but it was a pain to get it lined up right and keep it that way.

EDIT: Moment does have sales now and then and occasionally has used cases in stock. And there are some Moment Pixel 3 cases on eBay for less.
Moment currently has a big sale on across their range... :thumbs:

Which is just so not brilliant, having spent a small fortune over the last couple of weeks... o_O

:D

Starzee

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
That’s almost unbelievable. I’m still struggling to imagine how he got images of a fly’s eye. No amount of creeping up on it is going to get you that close to a fly, I don’t care what he says. Amazing images though. I’m well jeal (can you tell :lol: ).
I’m glad you brought that up. I thought the same thing, although I did immediately google the phone he used. o_O

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Well someone is sure confident.
Actually there are quite a lot of good Indian mobile macro photographers. They all use a macro lens called Prosumer or lensbong which is imported by Apexel into India from Indonesia. I follow Paul Balaram on my macro Instagram feed. His tag is #balaram_47. Also Sinai Mandal, #s.mondal_photography. If you look at the lenses they use they almost look Heath Robinson-ish but they sure seem to do the job and the optics appear to be high quality.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Actually there are quite a lot of good Indian mobile macro photographers. They all use a macro lens called Prosumer or lensbong which is imported by Apexel into India from Indonesia. I follow Paul Balaram on my macro Instagram feed. His tag is #balaram_47. Also Sinai Mandal, #s.mondal_photography. If you look at the lenses they use they almost look Heath Robinson-ish but they sure seem to do the job and the optics appear to be high quality.
Apexel lenses aren't even that expensive are they ?!?!

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Apexel lenses aren't even that expensive are they ?!?!
No, but the ones they get there don’t seem to be the typical Apexel manufactured lens. They seem to be cobbled together from serious lenses - Nikon for example. I don’t quite understand how it comes under Apexel or how they are made.

Apexel do produce quite good lenses here for the price. I bought a set for the Huawei and a cheap case from Aliexpress which allows you to screw them on although you have to be very careful not to wreck the thread. I didn’t really test them in earnest though and they don’t compare with the ones below made in India. They weren’t as good as Moment.

Here are the Indian ones. Looks like it’s in Indian Rupee which means they cost about £45. The attachments look a bit tacky though:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
No, but the ones they get there don’t seem to be the typical Apexel manufactured lens. They seem to be cobbled together from serious lenses - Nikon for example. I don’t quite understand how it comes under Apexel or how they are made.

Apexel do produce quite good lenses here for the price. I bought a set for the Huawei and a cheap case from Aliexpress which allows you to screw them on although you have to be very careful not to wreck the thread. I didn’t really test them in earnest though and they don’t compare with the ones below made in India. They weren’t as good as Moment.

Here are the Indian ones. Looks like it’s in Indian Rupee which means they cost about £45. The attachments look a bit tacky though:
Even so, a moment case and a moment macro lens would set me back around £80 even at sale prices. More than I'd want to pay unfortunately.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Only drawback for me is the price of the Moment case. 45€ is quite a lot. Maybe I find something else to attach the lens.
Moment's Pixel case is currently on sale for $25 US.