• > STAY SAFE - WEAR A MASK - or whatever way you choose to deal with this thing! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the still current serious situation facing us all right now! Continue to heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

Discussion: Are you really confident with clip-on lenses?

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Yes, I also have seen some other examples which were quite good. Only drawback for me is the price of the Moment case. 45€ is quite a lot. Maybe I find something else to attach the lens.
Yeah, a case 3/4 the cost of the lens seems a bit out of whack. At one point I did have a cheaper lens that used a clip-on system, so it would fit almost anything, but it was a pain to get it lined up right and keep it that way.

EDIT: Moment does have sales now and then and occasionally has used cases in stock. And there are some Moment Pixel 3 cases on eBay for less.

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Well someone is sure confident.
That’s almost unbelievable. I’m still struggling to imagine how he got images of a fly’s eye. No amount of creeping up on it is going to get you that close to a fly, I don’t care what he says. Amazing images though. I’m well jeal (can you tell :lol: ).

Venomator

MobiLifer
Admin
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Yeah, a case 3/4 the cost of the lens seems a bit out of whack. At one point I did have a cheaper lens that used a clip-on system, so it would fit almost anything, but it was a pain to get it lined up right and keep it that way.

EDIT: Moment does have sales now and then and occasionally has used cases in stock. And there are some Moment Pixel 3 cases on eBay for less.
Moment currently has a big sale on across their range... :thumbs:

Which is just so not brilliant, having spent a small fortune over the last couple of weeks... o_O

:D

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
That’s almost unbelievable. I’m still struggling to imagine how he got images of a fly’s eye. No amount of creeping up on it is going to get you that close to a fly, I don’t care what he says. Amazing images though. I’m well jeal (can you tell :lol: ).
I’m glad you brought that up. I thought the same thing, although I did immediately google the phone he used. o_O

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Well someone is sure confident.
Actually there are quite a lot of good Indian mobile macro photographers. They all use a macro lens called Prosumer or lensbong which is imported by Apexel into India from Indonesia. I follow Paul Balaram on my macro Instagram feed. His tag is #balaram_47. Also Sinai Mandal, #s.mondal_photography. If you look at the lenses they use they almost look Heath Robinson-ish but they sure seem to do the job and the optics appear to be high quality.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Moment currently has a big sale on across their range... :thumbs:

Which is just so not brilliant, having spent a small fortune over the last couple of weeks... o_O

:D
Can’t believe how much they have gone up in price! The sale price is what I paid for them originally. I suppose 18 months ago.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Actually there are quite a lot of good Indian mobile macro photographers. They all use a macro lens called Prosumer or lensbong which is imported by Apexel into India from Indonesia. I follow Paul Balaram on my macro Instagram feed. His tag is #balaram_47. Also Sinai Mandal, #s.mondal_photography. If you look at the lenses they use they almost look Heath Robinson-ish but they sure seem to do the job and the optics appear to be high quality.
Apexel lenses aren't even that expensive are they ?!?!

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Apexel lenses aren't even that expensive are they ?!?!
No, but the ones they get there don’t seem to be the typical Apexel manufactured lens. They seem to be cobbled together from serious lenses - Nikon for example. I don’t quite understand how it comes under Apexel or how they are made.

Apexel do produce quite good lenses here for the price. I bought a set for the Huawei and a cheap case from Aliexpress which allows you to screw them on although you have to be very careful not to wreck the thread. I didn’t really test them in earnest though and they don’t compare with the ones below made in India. They weren’t as good as Moment.

Here are the Indian ones. Looks like it’s in Indian Rupee which means they cost about £45. The attachments look a bit tacky though:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
No, but the ones they get there don’t seem to be the typical Apexel manufactured lens. They seem to be cobbled together from serious lenses - Nikon for example. I don’t quite understand how it comes under Apexel or how they are made.

Apexel do produce quite good lenses here for the price. I bought a set for the Huawei and a cheap case from Aliexpress which allows you to screw them on although you have to be very careful not to wreck the thread. I didn’t really test them in earnest though and they don’t compare with the ones below made in India. They weren’t as good as Moment.

Here are the Indian ones. Looks like it’s in Indian Rupee which means they cost about £45. The attachments look a bit tacky though:
Even so, a moment case and a moment macro lens would set me back around £80 even at sale prices. More than I'd want to pay unfortunately.

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Only drawback for me is the price of the Moment case. 45€ is quite a lot. Maybe I find something else to attach the lens.
Moment's Pixel case is currently on sale for $25 US.

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
So - it's all your fault! I did it. I ordered my Sirui protrait lens. If all goes well I will receive it on the weekend.
Then I will probably photograph walls, just walls! :lmao: Just for testing...

I found out that besides the Moment case also the case of Rhinoshield has the same mount but it's cheaper and some more options to customize. So one option more.
But first I'll stay with the clip-on solution for testing. If the lens is good I get a case.

For those who are interested in a review with some sample shots: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/amdy3o
I'll keep you posted ... ;)

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
So - it's all your fault! I did it. I ordered my Sirui protrait lens. If all goes well I will receive it on the weekend.

I found out that besides the Moment case also the case of Rhinoshield has the same mount but it's cheaper and some more options to customize. So one option more.
But first I'll stay with the clip-on solution for testing. If the lens is good I get a case.

For those who are interested in a review with some sample shots: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/amdy3o
Marvellous. I can’t wait to see the results. :lol:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel

Also can't wait to see the results !

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
There we go - first impression is that I need a case! For what I saw the image quality is quite good. Even the clip does a pretty good job because of its rubber coating.
As the weather here is quite bad only a few pictures.
IMG_20200222_160715.jpg

IMG_20200222_160817.jpg

IMG_20200222_160833.jpg

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
All pictures are just resized. The lens clip once applied does hold quite well because of the rubber coating and has a very good alignment to my case.
As far as I can see there is no vignetting at all focal length.
Also zooming is decent if you don't do too much.
Maybe I get some more shots tomorrow when the weather is hopefully better.
Let me know if you have questions or like to get some special shots.

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
The 'shoes' shot is with normal focal length, the 2nd one with attached lens. What I find also very good is the small joint of the clip on the opposite side of the mount. It keeps stuff in the right position.

Even though the fixing to the case works better than expected I probably will get a case as it shortens the distance between phone lens and the Sirui lens (at least I hope so), because also a tight mount will influence the image quality and introduces less distortion.

Autofocus works flawlessly with attached lens.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The 'shoes' shot is with normal focal length, the 2nd one with attached lens. What I find also very good is the small joint of the clip on the opposite side of the mount. It keeps stuff in the right position.

Even though the fixing to the case works better than expected I probably will get a case as it shortens the distance between phone lens and the Sirui lens (at least I hope so), because also a tight mount will influence the image quality and introduces less distortion.

Autofocus works flawlessly with attached lens.
Well, to my untrained eye, it looks excellent. But I’d like to see more examples please. :D

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
JillyG yep, till now it's excellent. Two more shots with lens directly attached to phone (stock and with lens):
IMG_20200222_171417.jpg

IMG_20200222_171428.jpg

What I can see it's quite sharp! Of course those shots are stupid and only made for testing. Real life shots will show how it really performes.