Articles

fredjclaus

MobiStarter
Real Name
Fred Claus
Device
Samsung
I've been a photographer since I was five years old. Starting out on the TLR cameras, going to 35mm, and then to DSLR. Now that I'm focusing more on smartphone photography, I also decided to write what I know. I'm taking my film experiences and translating them into smartphone photography. Can I get your opinions on my writing? I'm not gaining much traction right now and wonder if it's the platform or my topic of choice. I'd appreciate anyone's input if you want to share.

I've been a photographer since I was five years old. Starting out on the TLR cameras, going to 35mm, and then to DSLR. Now that I'm focusing more on smartphone photography, I also decided to write what I know. I'm taking my film experiences and translating them into smartphone photography. Can I get your opinions on my writing? I'm not gaining much traction right now and wonder if it's the platform or my topic of choice. I'd appreciate anyone's input if you want to share.

I read one of the articles and think it’s well written.

Warning: I spend a certain amount of time each week on search engines, looking for interesting mobile photography sites or posts, and I have theories about this sort of thing.

The titles of your articles are fairly general, to be relevant to the widest audience. After all, photography is photography, whether it's smartphone, DSLR, or 8x10 view camera, right? But I'm guessing -- only guessing! -- that may be working against you by burying you way down in the search results.

Take the title of that Jo Bradford article I mentioned elsewhere "How to edit your photos with Snapseed." It's more specific, so the actual audience for it is smaller. People searching for "editing photos" aren't likely to see it, but people searching for "editing photos snapseed" are more likely to see it and (I think) more likely to click through to the article AND more likely to react to the article when they see it.

For that same article, if you titled it "Creating custom vignettes with Snapseed," you might be narrowing the search audience too much, but I'm sure that anyone doing such a search would click through to the article.

Everything here should be prefaced with "I think," of course. :D

Warning: I spend a certain amount of time each week on search engines, looking for interesting mobile photography sites or posts, and I have theories about this sort of thing.

The titles of your articles are fairly general, to be relevant to the widest audience. After all, photography is photography, whether it's smartphone, DSLR, or 8x10 view camera, right? But I'm guessing -- only guessing! -- that may be working against you by burying you way down in the search results.

Take the title of that Jo Bradford article I mentioned elsewhere "How to edit your photos with Snapseed." It's more specific, so the actual audience for it is smaller. People searching for "editing photos" aren't likely to see it, but people searching for "editing photos snapseed" are more likely to see it and (I think) more likely to click through to the article AND more likely to react to the article when they see it.

For that same article, if you titled it "Creating custom vignettes with Snapseed," you might be narrowing the search audience too much, but I'm sure that anyone doing such a search would click through to the article.

Everything here should be prefaced with "I think," of course. :D
It's good advice though, thank you. I always struggle with titles, so I appreciate you giving me your opinion.

It's good advice though, thank you. I always struggle with titles, so I appreciate you giving me your opinion.
Titles are hard. Most of my article writing was in the pre-internet/print magazine days. Then the titles weren't quite so important because if people saw the title, it meant they already had the magazine in their hands and were likely to at least glance at it. Not true these days.

Back
Top Bottom