BargainWatch *post app bargains here*

Pixelmator Photo, iOS only and previously iPad only, is now available in an iPhone version. The introductory sale price is $3.99. If you already own Pixelmator Photo for iPad, you can get it for free. (You have to tap the $3.99 buy button, but then it'll figure out you have the iPad version and note that it's free.)

I've only taken a brief look at it so far, but it has all or almost all the tools that the iPad version does. The layout is different (because iPhone vs. iPad), so some things take more taps to get to. It does have the excellent resizing (up and down) of the iPad version, which I use frequently. The most glaring omission from both versions is layering, which is odd because the older app -- plain Pixelmator -- does have layers even though it has fewer features.

Two further notes on Pixelmator Photo:

* It offers a variety of auto-adjustments labeled ML (for machine learning). These generally produce decent results but often a bit too light for my taste. I seem to prefer a slightly darker look. But they work quickly, so they're generally worth a try.

* Its SuperResolution function for upsizing images is the best I've found in iOS apps. The quirk in the upsizing is that the app doesn't give you a choice of size -- it determines the best size it can create on its own and does that. For downsizing, which is also very good, you can set the size as you'd expect.

On the whole, it's a good app, not as powerful as Affinity Photo but more nimble. If/when it adds layering and masking, it'll be a really good app.

And just to avoid confusion in naming:

Pixelmator = older, less full-featured app for iPad but with layers

Pixelmator Photo = flagship apps for iPad and iPhone but without layers

Pixelmator Pro = desktop version for MacOS only
I don’t own Pixelmator Photo and it looks like this version is for both iPad and iPhone. Luckily, Ted, I didn’t buy it the other day after our discussion so I jumped at getting it. Thanks!

I don’t own Pixelmator Photo and it looks like this version is for both iPad and iPhone. Luckily, Ted, I didn’t buy it the other day after our discussion so I jumped at getting it. Thanks!
Oh, interesting! When it runs on iPad does it look like a blown-up iPhone app or like a regular iPad app? (Doesn't matter much, I expect, just curious.)

Oh, interesting! When it runs on iPad does it look like a blown-up iPhone app or like a regular iPad app? (Doesn't matter much, I expect, just curious.)
Firstly, I tried searching in the App Store and it only gave me the old version (Pixelmator) and this version which was listed as Pixelmator Photo. I wonder if iOS 15 now makes it easier to code for both. Some of my old iPhone apps now turn so you can see it in landscape.

This is what it looks like on the iPad:
93D95861-5A9E-4694-A024-846C6828B39E.png

Firstly, I tried searching in the App Store and it only gave me the old version (Pixelmator) and this version which was listed as Pixelmator Photo. I wonder if iOS 15 now makes it easier to code for both. Some of my old iPhone apps now turn so you can see it in landscape.

This is what it looks like on the iPad:
View attachment 174233
Yes, that's the same as what I see with my "iPad version." I guess there's really just one universal version now.

0BE1094A-FC3E-4441-9F95-596BF988A81B.png

Yes, that's the same as what I see with my "iPad version." I guess there's really just one universal version now.

View attachment 174234
Note: Just confirmed that it is a single universal app. If you don't already have it, it's a good buy at $3.99. The dev's blog post about the release has some interesting info that I didn't know. The app supports a bunch of raw formats. Its healing brush can work nondestructively on raw files. It's well integrated with Photos. And more:

Jixipix’s SimplyHDR going free.

Jixipix’s SimplyHDR going free.

Simply HDR - not a bad little programme, think it would sit better with an ipad or tablet, my 12 mini is a bit limiting in view, but lots of control over an image. Well worth a pop for free!

Serif is having a 50% off sale on all its stuff. The mobile versions of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer are down to $9.99. Desktop versions are also on sale, as are add-ons like textures, LUTs, brushes, etc.

Serif is having a 50% off sale on all its stuff. The mobile versions of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer are down to $9.99. Desktop versions are also on sale, as are add-ons like textures, LUTs, brushes, etc.

I was just coming here to post this! LOL

I just bought. I was waiting for a price drop. I have it on the desktop as I was trying to get rid of LR/PS. I have to play with it more but think I’ll probably keep LR. Unless they come out with LR type program. I’m hoping!!

Probably not worth it, but Blur Photo going free. Downloaded it but chances are it won’t be on my device for long.

Probably not worth it, but Blur Photo going free. Downloaded it but chances are it won’t be on my device for long.

Your like me I’ve deleted more apps that don’t walk the talk than I keep

Your like me I’ve deleted more apps that don’t walk the talk than I keep
Sometimes I just download them and then delete them just in case someone comes back and says it’s a really good app then at least I don’t have to buy yet another app. Has happened a couple of times but a rarity these days.

Not an imaging app for anyone like me with a habit of collecting recipes off the internet, the app Paprika 3 in 40% off. I can’t tell you how much that is because I already have it. I love it. It clips recipes from websites and saves them in one handy app. You can create categories so you can sort through easily.

Not an imaging app for anyone like me with a habit of collecting recipes off the internet, the app Paprika 3 in 40% off. I can’t tell you how much that is because I already have it. I love it. It clips recipes from websites and saves them in one handy app. You can create categories so you can sort through easily.
It is amazing… I had been buying a version for each platform on these sales. Scaling down recipes on this is perfect for us! We export to share recipes with our kids too!
AD5E3438-AB0F-44F2-B951-332AA292FBBD.jpeg

Last edited:
It is amazing… I had been buying a version for each platform on these sales. Scaling down recipes on this is perfect for us! We export to share recipes with our kids too!
View attachment 187826
Thanks, Dee!!! I did not know about the about the scale! And while messing around with that I found the browser with just about every cooking site listed and instant uploads.

ArtStudio Pro down to $7.99 from $14.99

Raw Power down to $4.99 from $7.99

ArtStudio Pro down to $7.99 from $14.99

Thanks Ted, I would have missed that

This is great, thanks :) Now I just need a week to get my head around it.

Video Editor LumaFusion is down from $29.99 to $19.99

Brushstroke from Code Organa is down to $2.99 from $4.99

ToonCamera and Inkwork, also from Code Organa, are down to $0.99 from $2.99 and $3.99 respecively.

Other Code Organa apps are also on sale for $0.99.

Obscura 3 camera app down from $4.99 to $2.99

Obscura 3 camera app down from $4.99 to $2.99

Like I need another app. :rolleyes: Off to the App Store!

Back
Top Bottom