'Beatles' Walk

Jimmydodger

Slip of the mouse...
Real Name
James
I work in Liverpool uk and live not far outside the city. As I'm sure many of you are aware, Liverpool was the home of John, Paul, George and Ringo. For my 50th birthday my wife treated me to a two night stay in the 'Hard days night hotel' in the city ( A Beatles themed, superb hotel)
On the second day we took the Beatles tour around the main sites. These are just four of my fav photos of that walk.
John Lennon grew up with his Aunt in house not far from a childrens home. As a child, John played in the grounds. The home was called Strawberry Fields.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1370774572.004436.jpg

One of their early hits was named after a road that was regularly walked by (I think) George on his way to music practice.
Penny Lane
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1370774592.375442.jpg

During the sixties, The Beatles were regulars at a small underground nightclub right in the middle of the city. The Cavern Club is still there and Beatles tribute acts still play ..... a great venue. (That's my wife on the stairs)
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1370774768.064311.jpg

The last photo and perhaps the planest one of all but my favourite is this one.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1370774901.336520.jpg

This is number 20 Forthlin Road, Liverpool.
The childhood home of Paul McCartney.
The upper right room is perhaps responsible for the biggest cultural change of the 20th century. This is a small bathroom that John and Paul used because of its acoustic properties, to write and practice many of the Beatles early hits.
Ok, hope you liked them ..... sorry for going on a bit but I love to hear photographers stories behind their images.
Thanks for looking.

BRILLIANT!!! :D

I'm a big Beatles fan and WOW are these cool shots!! And so wonderful to hear the story behind the songs!

What an awesome walk that must have been... :inlove:

These are great pictures, love the story behind them! Please keep telling the story behind the images, it gives an image context that we may be able to relate to!

Like most kids from back then I was a big fan of theirs from the very beginning and I have all of their studio albums. And like the others now I have Penny Lane going through my mind :)

I love these and am so jealous. I too am a big Beatles fan (Paul still has a little piece of my heart). I was lucky enough to go to their concert in Adelaide South Australia in 1964 and on a recent trip back to my home town I took this pic of the Town Hall where the concert was held. My mum and grandmother took turns standing in the queue for eight hours to get tickets for my sister and I.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1370829845.311426.jpg

Ok being a big Beatles fan stuck in the US I am so jealous!! What a perfect way to celebrate your 50th! Kudos to your wife! And Happy Belated Birthday!! It appears to have been an excellent one! :) :) :)

Thank you for all your kind comments on the photos. Here is my favourite Beatles song and incidentally, it was written in that bathroom.

Yes a happy belated Birthday! Last night I played a couple of their albums :)

Thank you Lzed. They still sound as good 50 years later, don't they. What is your favourite song?

Oh, Man, there are two many so I will give you my top few
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Hard Day's Night
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Hey Jude
Strawberry Field's Forever
I am the Walrus
Imagine

If I had to pick one, I suppose Imagine.

How about you, which are your favourites?

Ok, My favourite is 'I'll follow the sun with Eleanor Rigby a very close second.
Then 'Michelle' - 'All my loving' - 'And I love her' - 'Cant buy me love' - 'Ob la di Ob la da - 'If I Fell'
Its tricky picking your favourites, you feel guilty about the ones you leave out.
Funny how taking a few photos can stimulate coversation and get you thinking about music and other things entirely. Thats what I find most fascinating about other peoples pictures, the story, the reason they took that photo.
Oh there I go again, bleating on.
Thanks for your reply Lzed ..... Great choices.

Even after I posted I keep thinking I should go back and add this one too :)
Could turn into a very long post :) if I added more though.

I like when people post a picture and tell a little bit about it or how it effects them, it all gives some commonality especially with bands like the Beatles or Elvis or Pink Floyd or.... Well you get the idea. That's the one thing I don't see any more in today's music, the longevity. I am not a fan of Hip Hop, Rap and I am not a huge fan of country although my wife loves country :) so I do listen to some so I don't tick her off. Because I listened to music a lot it's also rubbed off on my kids and funny thing is that they much prefer music from my generation then theirs.

My daughter has an exceptional memory when it comes to music, she can hear only a few bars from a song and most of the time could tell the name, the group doing that version and tell you who else has done that song or the original group. Don't know how many contests she has won but pretty good when most dj's know who you are the second you start talking. Have the name Katina also helps, I have never seen another. Most of her friends call her Kat, including the dj's. My son Steven also does the same thing, he'll come in playing some music and thinks I should know who, what, when, where. Unfortunately my mind has frequent lapses so a lot of the time I just can't put a name to it, personally I think they enjoy getting me going :)

Oh, and I too have a problem with bleating on....

For all the Beatles fas out there, this got posted bright and early this morning....

The Beatles Rooftop Concert 1969
On a cold day in January 1969, The Beatles, who hadn’t played live since 1966, took to the rooftop of the headquarters of Apple Records, located at3 Savile Row, in central London. And there they played an impromptu last gig, much to the delight of Londoners on nearby rooftops … and to the chagrin of the police.At the time, The Beatles were recording their album, Let It Be, and the rooftop show let them run through various tracks from that last effort. Songs played during the set include “Get Back,” where the Beatles were accompanied by Billy Preston on the keyboards, and “Don’t Let Me Down,” “I’ve Got A Feeling,” “One After 909,” and “Danny Boy.” And finally “Dig A Pony” and another version of “Get Back.”Famously, The Beatles’ live legacy ends with the police shutting down the show (it was a noise violation, you know?) and John Lennon uttering the immortal words, “I’d like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition.” That’s going out in style…

http://billionuploads.com/buhr9lrxxour

Click on the link above, you will have to scroll down the screen where there is a button Download or Watch, click on it and the screen will update to generating and then change to show a big green arrow with Download below it. Click on download and it will start downloading. Be patient, sometimes take a few seconds. Despite all the ad blockers I have setup it still may open ads, just close those windows if they pop up.

It's only about 21 minutes in length.

Enjoy it!

Hey James,
Happy 50th! What a great way to bring up your half century.
I too am a huge Beatles fan ... and a huge Liverpool FC fan (even though I am stuck in South Africa).
The Beatles are for me one of those bands where it is nigh on impossible to pick a single favourite song.
Their songbook is just too wide and varied for me to make such a decision.
Just pick one, any one, and it'll be one of my favourites. :D

And yes, I too now have Penny Lane running round my head. Time to ire up iTunes and select the Beatles catalog and hit the big random function and start listening.

Back
Top Bottom