Bits and pieces

Lighthouse and old shed
IMG_20230618_132037-01-01.jpeg

Took me a moment to find the lighthouse -- not what I was expecting :D Good candidate for the B/W challenge.
I was rushing through yesterday. Didn’t see the title. :oops: Sometimes the title is half the story! And yes, what terse Ted said. BnW challenge, please.

I don't know, but there was a load floating around in the pond, but I can't imagine how a koi could eat a large apple , its not like they have teeth like a Piranha , or do they ? , I always thought they sucked their food .
I thought a koi was a big goldfish. I’ve never seen any of my goldfish chew.

I thought a koi was a big goldfish. I’ve never seen any of my goldfish chew.
I got curious and opened Wikipedia. It doesn’t say explicitely that they can eat apples, but watermelon is mentioned, so perhaps. But their ”natural” eating habit is to suck up things from the bottom.

Kois are coloured varieties of carp fish

excerpt from Wiki:
Koi are an omnivorous fish. They eat a wide variety of foods, including peas, lettuce, and watermelon. Koi food is designed not only to be nutritionally balanced, but also to float so as to encourage them to come to the surface. When they are eating, koi can be checked for parasites and ulcers. Naturally, koi are bottom feeders with a mouth configuration adapted for that. Some koi have a tendency to eat mostly from the bottom, so food producers create a mixed sinking and floating combination food. Koi recognize the persons feeding them and gather around them at feeding times. They can be trained to take food from one's hand. In the winter, their digestive systems slow nearly to a halt, and they eat very little, perhaps no more than nibbles of algae from the bottom. Feeding is not recommended when the water temperature drops below 10 °C (50 °F). Care should be taken by hobbyists that proper oxygenation, pH stabilization, and off-gassing occur over the winter in small ponds, so they do not perish. Their appetites do not come back until the water becomes warm in the spring.

I got curious and opened Wikipedia. It doesn’t say explicitely that they can eat apples, but watermelon is mentioned, so perhaps. But their ”natural” eating habit is to suck up things from the bottom.

Kois are coloured varieties of carp fish

excerpt from Wiki:
Koi are an omnivorous fish. They eat a wide variety of foods, including peas, lettuce, and watermelon. Koi food is designed not only to be nutritionally balanced, but also to float so as to encourage them to come to the surface. When they are eating, koi can be checked for parasites and ulcers. Naturally, koi are bottom feeders with a mouth configuration adapted for that. Some koi have a tendency to eat mostly from the bottom, so food producers create a mixed sinking and floating combination food. Koi recognize the persons feeding them and gather around them at feeding times. They can be trained to take food from one's hand. In the winter, their digestive systems slow nearly to a halt, and they eat very little, perhaps no more than nibbles of algae from the bottom. Feeding is not recommended when the water temperature drops below 10 °C (50 °F). Care should be taken by hobbyists that proper oxygenation, pH stabilization, and off-gassing occur over the winter in small ponds, so they do not perish. Their appetites do not come back until the water becomes warm in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom