Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Blue light filtered screen protector

Discussion in 'Accessories & Phones' started by FundyBrian, 12 October 2018.

1. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Well, you probably all know about the dangers of invisible far blue light from LED light sources, TV screens, computer monitors, and yes, phones and tablets. If you have seen light spectrum output graphs from computer screens, etc, it shows a large spike in energy just this side of ultra-violet.
    The main danger is retina damage, in particular early-onset macular degeneration. When you think of the amount of time people spend staring at these light sources we could be in for trouble as the years move on.
    First we heard about new special lens materials and lens coatings for eyeglasses to block the harmful frequencies, available at extra cost of course. I know many of you already have far blue protection eyeglasses. But what about people who don’t wear glasses?
    Now there are computer screen protectors available to block the far blue light. And more recently, screen protectors for phones and tablets. In an article I just read reviewing several makes of screen protectors it appears several makers are unable or unwilling to provide any hard specs on their products, so there may be several types out there that provide little or no real protection. Buyer beware!
    I’m definitely going to get a far blue protected screen for my iPhone since I often use it without wearing glasses. But I already have protected computer glasses and will get the protection for my other glasses as they are updated.
    This is a topic worth watching.

By the way, I didn’t have any idea these screens were available until I happened to browse in a store selling screen protectors and noticed the name “blue” in the title. I enquired about far blue protection and got blank looks from the staff. So I told them about the issue and they agreed it would be an excellent and timely product to have available but in this case the “blue” is just part of a company name and the product offers no eye protection.
    After that I did some online searching and was surprised to discover that the new blue protected screens do indeed exist.

RoseCat and dscheff like this.
  2. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    RoseCat likes this.
  3. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Probably something I should consider for sure, with the amount of time I spend staring at a screen every day - computer at work, iPhone, TV... :flushed::fearscream:

JillyG likes this.