Brian's Winter Close-ups

Nov 10 2017. Time to revive this thread.
Giant ice crystals.
View attachment 101746
PureShot brackets with 2X lens > Fusion HDR > Simply HDR.
Out for a walk with my daughter at Killarney lake park, Fredericton. This was a trailside puddle. The long diagonal ice crystal on the right is fully 2 feet, .6 metre, long. It must have been very calm over night. I’m not sure if a slow or fast temperature change would yield the biggest crystals.
Yes, it’s that time of year again.:thumbs: Lovely image. Aren’t the patterns amazing.

Giant ice crystals.
View attachment 101746
Out for a walk with my daughter at Killarney lake park, Fredericton. This was a trailside puddle. The long diagonal ice crystal on the right is fully 2 feet, .6 metre, long. It must have been very calm over night. I’m not sure if a slow or fast temperature change would yield the biggest crystals.
Just beautiful....

Giant ice crystals.
View attachment 101746
You so live in an extreme world. So much of it is beautiful but boy, I couldn't survive with the cold you get and the isolation.

You so live in an extreme world. So much of it is beautiful but boy, I couldn't survive with the cold you get and the isolation.

I’m sure you could. It’s not as though I live in the arctic. You might even enjoy the peace and quite. And besides, we’re connected by internet as if the distance was nothing.

I’m sure you could. It’s not as though I live in the arctic. You might even enjoy the peace and quite. And besides, we’re connected by internet as if the distance was nothing.
I’m a homebody so I think winters must be a nice, cozy nesting experience for you (as long as they don’t last too long :rolleyes:.)

I’m a homebody so I think winters must be a nice, cozy nesting experience for you (as long as they don’t last too long :rolleyes:.)

This is a lot of cozy indoors stuff to do but the outdoors offers a completely new set of activities, like carrying firewood and shovelling the driveway, no I mean skiing, skating, snowshoeing, sliding, etc. Winter photography is like a trip to the moon it is so different from summer.

Not internet as we know it :lol:. No seriously, I go into a funk just with the UK winter. I can go days without putting a foot out of the door. The peace and quiet I would love...inbetween trips to a good coffee shop though. I realised in HK, as did my DH, that I’m much more sociable than I thought. I miss that. And everybody knows me as a fair weather golfer.

Not internet as we know it :lol:. No seriously, I go into a funk just with the UK winter. I can go days without putting a foot out of the door. The peace and quiet I would love...inbetween trips to a good coffee shop though. I realised in HK, as did my DH, that I’m much more sociable than I thought. I miss that. And everybody knows me as a fair weather golfer.

What do you mean “Not internet as we know it”. Any year now we’ll be up to what you had in 2005. lol

Winter Minimalism
Watermarked10(2018-02-01-2212).jpg

PureShot>Fusion

I love this! The simplicity of this image, in particular, speaks to me.

Thanks. Yes, winter is the ideal time for minimalism. I had initially thought about devoting a thread to minimalism but this winter we have not had much snow. We got a snowfall then the temperature swings wildly warmer and we get rain, like right now.

View attachment 88470
Upper branch tip of Maple tree now hanging down close to the ground. The new branch tips are red but usually too high to see up close.
The curved icicles result from the changes of angle as the branches, once upright, gradually bent downwards towards the ground.
Iphone7+, Tadaa SLR.
This is a wonderful series. This image is my absolute favorite Brian :):thumbs:

Cascading snow on Fir tree.
Watermarked1(2018-01-18-1928).jpg

I have often photographed snow-bound fir boughs but I have never before seen this type of formation that almost looks reversed, with the holes in the snow making the defining shapes rather than the branches.

Icy Fingers.
Watermarked2(2017-12-17-0924).jpg

My fingers were getting pretty icy, too. I was standing in the fast flowing brook in my rubber boots crouching down so my phone was just an inch above the water and my tripod was mostly underwater. There’s no way I could have got a clear shot without the tripod. It was an easy decision to go B&W since the colour version looks practically the same.

Icy Fingers.
View attachment 105598
My fingers were getting pretty icy, too. I was standing in the fast flowing brook in my rubber boots crouching down so my phone was just an inch above the water and my tripod was mostly underwater. There’s no way I could have got a clear shot without the tripod. It was an easy decision to go B&W since the colour version looks practically the same.
Impressive how you maneuvered to get this fabulous shot!!

Baubles.
Watermarked(2018-02-10-1040).jpg

One of my favourite things of winter is looking for icy jewels in the brooks amid flowing water. It requires just the right combination of weather conditions to make it happen. A recent rain or melt followed by colder temperatures. But if the cold temperatures go on too long the whole thing freezes solid and there’s nothing to see. It generally requires a low camera angle, just a few cm above the water, a tripod you can put under water but is heavy enough not to be pushed by the current, and some good rubber boots. Edit: also a short jacket so the back tail of the jacket won’t hang in the water when you crouch down.
PureShot brackets > Fusion HDR > Snapseed. Here I found I wanted to sharpen the ice but not the water and smooth the water but not the ice so I made 2 versions and masked them together in Leonardo. Then I added a rectangular vignette. I can’t remember seeing a rectangular vignette anywhere else than Leonardo and I like it quite well.

Baubles.
View attachment 105841
One of my favourite things of winter is looking for icy jewels in the brooks amid flowing water. It requires just the right combination of weather conditions to make it happen. A recent rain or melt followed by colder temperatures. But if the cold temperatures go on too long the whole thing freezes solid and there’s nothing to see. It generally requires a low camera angle, just a few cm above the water, a tripod you can put under water but is heavy enough not to be pushed by the current, and some good rubber boots. Edit: also a short jacket so the back tail of the jacket won’t hang in the water when you crouch down.
PureShot brackets > Fusion HDR > Snapseed. Here I found I wanted to sharpen the ice but not the water and smooth the water but not the ice so I made 2 versions and masked them together in Leonardo. Then I added a rectangular vignette. I can’t remember seeing a rectangular vignette anywhere else than Leonardo and I like it quite well.

Very cool!

Baubles.
View attachment 105841
Nature’s jewels indeed! :inlove:

Snapseed is perfect for that. Just apply the sharpening, and then apply the smoothing. Then go into View Edits and you can then paint the sharpening and smoothing to the parts you want. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom