• > STAY SAFE - WEAR A MASK - or whatever way you choose to deal with this thing! MobiMembers - The situation is still currently serious, & increasing yet again! Heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others. Let's help each other stay sane in our distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt & all our MobiStaff... x x <

Discussion: Budget Smartphones

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
My wife keeps complaining about her phone, a Nokia from a couple of years ago, poor battery not a wise buy.
So I was looking up budget smartphones and was amazed how good some of these seem on the specs. Particularly the Realme and the Xiaome.

I know Ann got burnt with her Huawei experience but some of these look the business for under £200 (UK)

How do we justify phones that are so expensive?

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
I rarely buy high-end devices new. Most of my phones or cameras I bought used with still under warranty. There are a lot of people out there who always need the latest models because they are 'better' or because of new contracts.

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
My favourites of budget phones are from Motorola. They may not have the latest gadgets but have a very vanilla Android with very few Moto applications (and the apps a very useful).
We had phones from Moto G4 plus to Moto One Vision and all were solid and reliable phones.
If my Pixel would die I'd probably go for a Moto.

rizole

IOTM Winner - June & August 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
My wife keeps complaining about her phone, a Nokia from a couple of years ago, poor battery not a wise buy.
So I was looking up budget smartphones and was amazed how good some of these seem on the specs. Particularly the Realme and the Xiaome.

I know Ann got burnt with her Huawei experience but some of these look the business for under £200 (UK)

How do we justify phones that are so expensive?

I got my kids motorolas - G series. Pretty good hardware at competative prices (and a decent camera of course). They have the G4 and G5 but I see the line has moved on. Here's a G8 review - good battery life. ;)

rizole

IOTM Winner - June & August 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
And while I'm on the moto bandwagon, Venomator lent me one some years ago and the pics it took were very credible. These are 4 years old.
DSC_0361-03.jpeg
IMG_20170121_104050148-01.jpeg
IMG_20170128_114916189-01.jpeg

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Or look for a good offer for the Pixel 3a. Not quite as fast as the Pixel 3 but nearly as good. Depends on how much you want to spend for a phone.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Yeah, me too. I’m stuck on iPhone and that’s just the way it is. :mobibabe:

*raises hand*

(although I’m still using my iPhone 6S and assume it will last the three months I need it to last. And I hope after the 12 is released the price of 11Pro will reduce considerably :D )

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Wow, interesting. 3 years ago even the sniff of a release of a new iPhone would have this forum humming two weeks beforehand. A new iPhone was released yesterday and there’s hardly a ripple. Times have changed. Most of us are hanging onto our iPhones for 3 years or more now. The latest appears to have even better night shots but only much better zoom would tempt me. Mine has at least 2 years to go with any luck and possibly longer.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Wow, interesting. 3 years ago even the sniff of a release of a new iPhone would have this forum humming two weeks beforehand. A new iPhone was released yesterday and there’s hardly a ripple. Times have changed. Most of us are hanging onto our iPhones for 3 years or more now. The latest appears to have even better night shots but only much better zoom would tempt me. Mine has at least 2 years to go with any luck and possibly longer.

If you give this favourite site the time of day, seems the Chinese have taken over the market.

Probably the obscene amount of money Apple (and Samsung etc) want for their goods. The market will only go up to a certain level surely? Otherwise we will be looking at £2000 phones in a few years.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365

If you give this favourite site the time of day, seems the Chinese have taken over the market.

Probably the obscene amount of money Apple (and Samsung etc) want for their goods. The market will only go up to a certain level surely? Otherwise we will be looking at £2000 phones in a few years.
Interestingly, the price of the iPhone 12 Pro is the same as I paid for the 11 Pro a year ago so they haven't put the prices up. The only way they will be able to put the prices up is to create something revolutionary. I don't think people will pay now unless they are desperate. The majority of the ladies at my golf club have cheap Androids and I would myself still be hanging onto my iPhone 7+ if it wasn't for the camera and I'm still not convinced it would make any difference if I was shooting in RAW. My DH would only give up my reconditioned iPhone 6 if it gave up the ghost.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus

I’ve not heard of >half of those phones.

I see that page ranks the iphone SE camera as equal to or better than the XR, 8 plus, 7 plus . . .

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I’ve not heard of >half of those phones.

I see that page ranks the iphone SE camera as equal to or better than the XR, 8 plus, 7 plus . . .
You would have to read the data as to how they achieved their scores. I did say 'if you give this site the time of day' as it sometimes favours Android and then at other times favours Apple. It was only a few years ago that every phone near the top was an iPhone.

I guess that as there are more Android phone manufacturers it means more competition and faster development of camera features. The Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro for example has a 108mp sensor, something that even most DSLR's don't have. Whether its any good is anyone's guess though!

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
The Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro for example has a 108mp sensor, something that even most DSLR's don't have.
At the moment we seem to be in a battle of more pixels vs. bigger pixels on the sensors. The latest iPhone 12 Pro Max has a 47% larger sensor but the same 12mp spec, claiming better light-gathering with lower noise. And I think at least some of the high-mp phones are still delivering 12mp or so images, combining pixels to get similar improvements. Same as always, we've got to wait until people have had any new phone in their hands for a while to see which differences actually make a difference.

Wow, interesting. 3 years ago even the sniff of a release of a new iPhone would have this forum humming two weeks beforehand. A new iPhone was released yesterday and there’s hardly a ripple.
I think the "virtual release party" aspect has something to do with it also. At the previous in-person events, the journos would get some hands-on time with the new devices and have at least a little something real to report. This year, it's all just words and numbers until the phones actually get to people.

The iPhone 12 Pro Max has the larger sensor, a new lens design on the wide lens, and a different, faster optical image stabilization system on the wide lens, but nobody can say so far whether those things are going to add up to better images.

I think the most interesting thing announced is the Apple ProRaw format, which won't be available until sometime after the release of the phones. No idea which phones will support it, but it supposedly combines some form of raw capture with computational photography processing in "layers" (whatever that may mean) to give more adjustment control combined with the advantages of "smart" processing. But nobody's saying what that all means or whether it produces better images.

NickLeon

MobiFan
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Nick
Device
iPhone Xs
I seem to be wedded to iPhones as they synch seemlessly with my iPad etc. What does annoy me is that the 11 and I believe the new 12 'basic' models have both lost the 56mm (equivalent) lens for a wide-angle I would hardly ever use, thus forcing me to consider the Pro when I upgrade.

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I seem to be wedded to iPhones as they synch seemlessly with my iPad etc. What does annoy me is that the 11 and I believe the new 12 'basic' models have both lost the 56mm (equivalent) lens for a wide-angle I would hardly ever use, thus forcing me to consider the Pro when I upgrade.
Yes, I'd feel bereft without the longer lens now that I've had one for a while. The Ultrawide might be fun now and then, but I use the 56mm every time I go out.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel

NickLeon

MobiFan
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Nick
Device
iPhone Xs
Yes, I'd feel bereft without the longer lens now that I've had one for a while. The Ultrawide might be fun now and then, but I use the 56mm every time I go out.
Yes, I probably use it for 70% or so of my phone photography.