• > STAY SAFE - WEAR A MASK - or whatever way you choose to deal with this thing! MobiMembers - The situation is still currently serious, & increasing yet again! Heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others. Let's help each other stay sane in our distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt & all our MobiStaff... x x <

Discussion: Budget Smartphones

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
You would have to read the data as to how they achieved their scores. I did say 'if you give this site the time of day' as it sometimes favours Android and then at other times favours Apple. It was only a few years ago that every phone near the top was an iPhone.

I guess that as there are more Android phone manufacturers it means more competition and faster development of camera features. The Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro for example has a 108mp sensor, something that even most DSLR's don't have. Whether its any good is anyone's guess though!

I was thinking more about the article in Gizmodo (I think) calling the SE ‘the 6s on steroids’ or similar. Seems like a good little phone.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Wow, interesting. 3 years ago even the sniff of a release of a new iPhone would have this forum humming two weeks beforehand. A new iPhone was released yesterday and there’s hardly a ripple. Times have changed. Most of us are hanging onto our iPhones for 3 years or more now. The latest appears to have even better night shots but only much better zoom would tempt me. Mine has at least 2 years to go with any luck and possibly longer.
I still have my 7 Plus but now there’s a crack/chip on the glass of the camera! So I’m going to upgrade... After spending (way too much!!) time comparing models I think I’m going with the 11 Pro (cuz I want green!!) There doesn’t seem to be *that* much of a difference between 11 Pro and 12 Pro. Although the (purportedly) super strong ceramic shield is enticing (my 7 Plus screen is currently cracked too!) But I reallllllly like the Midnight Green color. But Pacific Blue is nice.... :confused:

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I still have my 7 Plus but now there’s a crack/chip on the glass of the camera! So I’m going to upgrade... After spending (way too much!!) time comparing models I think I’m going with the 11 Pro (cuz I want green!!) There doesn’t seem to be *that* much of a difference between 11 Pro and 12 Pro. Although the (purportedly) super strong ceramic shield is enticing (my 7 Plus screen is currently cracked too!) But I reallllllly like the Midnight Green color. But Pacific Blue is nice.... :confused:
I was planning on grabbing an IPhone 11 Pro Max hoping the iPhone 12 release would send the price down. I went to the Apple Store app to check out the colors :oops: and could not find a 11 Pro at all. Seems they are discontinuing them to boost sales of the 12.:tongueclosed:

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I really like my iPhone 11 Pro and much prefer the smaller size. I only originally went for the 7+ because of the zoom.

If, as Star says, the iPhone 11 Pro is no longer available, it did appear to me that the prices haven’t changed since I bought it but of course you won’t get a ‘sale’ price for the old phone.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Yes, I'd feel bereft without the longer lens now that I've had one for a while. The Ultrawide might be fun now and then, but I use the 56mm every time I go out.
Me too. Once I got it on the 7+, it was a game changer.

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I really like my iPhone 11 Pro and much prefer the smaller size. I only originally went for the 7+ because of the zoom.

If, as Star says, the iPhone 11 Pro is no longer available, it did appear to me that the prices haven’t changed since I bought it but of course you won’t get a ‘sale’ price for the old phone.
I did locate a reconditioned one. I’m considering.

NickLeon

MobiFan
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Nick
Device
iPhone Xs
Decisions, decisions...

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I did locate a reconditioned one. I’m considering.
Reconditioned by Apple? Asking bcs I understand that for Apple, recondition means ‘as new’. I recently a new (reconditioned) iPad 7th gen, from memory approx 25% less than new price — and it came in new box with all the bells & whistle. No indication of previous use.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I like the colours and the lightness-to-hold of all of them. wasted on me, though, bcs my devices are instantly kitted out in unattractive protective gear - the phone equivalent of ‘sensible shoes’. And Since terse Ted talked way back when about tempered glass, that too. As well-intentioned as I am, I can’t be trusted with these fragile expensive phones.

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Reconditioned by Apple? Asking bcs I understand that for Apple, recondition means ‘as new’. I recently a new (reconditioned) iPad 7th gen, from memory approx 25% less than new price — and it came in new box with all the bells & whistle. No indication of previous use.
I don’t believe it is reconditioned by Apple. And, perhaps banking on the discontinuation of the 11 pro by Apple, It’s over $900. The 12 will cost $300 less if I trade in my current iPhone.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Decisions, decisions...
:lol:

I was planning on grabbing an IPhone 11 Pro Max hoping the iPhone 12 release would send the price down. I went to the Apple Store app to check out the colors
:oops:
and could not find a 11 Pro at all. Seems they are discontinuing them to boost sales of the 12.

I got the 11 Pro in green!! :D It arrives tomorrow. I’ll get a bumper this time because I don’t want any more cracked screens, but I’ll miss holding a naked phone! No way will I get a full case though...too bulky! :barf:

Last edited:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
:lol:

I got the 11 Pro in green!! :D It arrives tomorrow. I’ll get a bumper this time because I don’t want any more cracked screens, but I’ll miss holding a naked phone! No way will I get a full case though...too bulky! :barf:
:zip:

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I got my 11 Pro via AT&T, no problem. Maybe try going through your carrier?
I switched to a local carrier from Verizon. Same service 1/2 the price monthly. They don’t sell phones. I did look into Verizon, but then considered the increase in my subscription would add up to about $600 a year. Think I may have to go with a 12. It’s not that different from the 11. Apple is coming close to really p***ing me off. Not so close to switch, though........ :rolleyes:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I switched to a local carrier from Verizon. Same service 1/2 the price monthly. They don’t sell phones. I did look into Verizon, but then considered the increase in my subscription would add up to about $600 a year. Think I may have to go with a 12. It’s not that different from the 11. Apple is coming close to really p***ing me off. Not so close to switch, though........ :rolleyes:
$1000 budget phones :rolleyes: