MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
With the elimination of iTunes and the new macOS Catalina, will that impact my late 2009 iMac running El Capitan? :openmouth: I won’t be upgrading my iMac OS, of course, but am wondering if I’ll still be able to play music? :confused:

With the elimination of iTunes and the new macOS Catalina, will that impact my late 2009 iMac running El Capitan? :openmouth: I won’t be upgrading my iMac OS, of course, but am wondering if I’ll still be able to play music? :confused:
As I read it, nothing will happen to anyone using the iTunes program in any Mac OS versions prior to Catalina, so you and El Capitan will continue as you are now.

In Catalina, the iTunes program is being split into three new programs (for music, video, and podcasts) that will perform the functions and access the services that iTunes currently does. Apple's posted a summary of what will happen for people who do move to Catalina here:

And here's the bullet list from that summary:
  • Music that you’ve imported or purchased will be in the new Apple Music app.
  • Music playlists and smart playlists that you've created in iTunes will be in the new Apple Music app.
  • The iTunes Store will still be available to buy music on Mac, iOS, PC, and Apple TV.
  • iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes credits will be maintained and can be used with the new apps and the App Store.
  • iPhone, iPad, and iPod backup, restore, and syncing will move to Finder.
  • Movies and TV shows that you purchased or rented from iTunes will be in the new Apple TV app.
  • Use the Apple TV app for Mac for future movie and TV purchases or rentals.
  • Podcasts that you subscribed to or added to iTunes will now be in the new Apple Podcasts app.
  • Audiobooks that you purchased from iTunes will now be in the updated Apple Books app.
  • Use the Apple Books app for Mac for future audiobook purchases.

As I read it, nothing will happen to anyone using the iTunes program in any Mac OS versions prior to Catalina, so you and El Capitan will continue as you are now.
:notworthy: Thank you kind sir!!
That’s what I’d hoped, but with Apple you never know.

Back
Top Bottom