Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Camera Noir by Vintage Noir
https://appsto.re/ca/sFcwO.i
New app on 10 December 2015
Currently $2.99US

Camera Noir is the most powerful black & white photo editor in the App Store.

Built for professional photographers but easy enough for amateurs, it turns your photos into stunning black-and-white images.

With the simple user interface, you have full control over manual camera settings, such as ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Or you can go fully automatic. If you spend a lot of time with Photoshop or Lightroom, then you’re going to freak out. You won’t believe how deep this photo editing app can go.

Classic film stock emulations, real 35mm film grain, and nuanced pro editing tools give you everything you need, plus capabilities missing from other apps:

_Live, Editable Histogram_
Camera Noir gives you unbelievably nuanced control as you adjust the contrast in your photos.

_Black-and-White Mix_
Change luminance for specific spectrum colors: red, orange, yellow, blue, aqua, and magenta.

_Clarity Slider_
Apply very fine contrast in certain parts of the image to bring out the richest details.

#cameranoir
Be sure to tag your work and share it on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for a chance to be featured.

*Connect*
Reach out to us at [email protected], and tell us what you think! We’re always looking for feedback, reports of any bugs, and feature requests.
OS >=8.0

Thanks to the developer for letting me have a promo code for the app!
This I think will very quickly become one of my favourite black and white apps

22 presets. Press and hold and it will show an information tag which shows current settings for that preset.
Full set of editing tools/exposure tool including:
Exposure, Brightness, Contrast, Clarity, Fade, Highlights, Shadows, Sharpness,
Mix (luminance), Histogram, Vignette, Crop, Grain, Intensity.

Save resolution is input=output up to 4096x4096, anything larger is down scaled. The app had for example no problem opening a 25mp image and down scaled it.
When saving you are given three sizes small (1/2 scale), medium and full.

I did have the app crash a few times, once on importing around a 30mp image and another time I applied a filter to a smaller image and it quit. More then once trying to pic an image it also crashed, not sure it's issues with cameraroll having several thousand images in it causing it. I hope the app automatically forwards crash info to the developers as it never told me a reason.

The app is universal but unfortunately only functions in portrait orientation. I almost always edit in landscape so I hope this is added in an update. If I recall right I had the same comment about their app Faded when it was released and it was fixed.

I will send a link to this thread to the developer and hopefully they will join us here.

Samples:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Camera Noir by Vintage Noir
https://appsto.re/ca/sFcwO.i
New app on 10 December 2015
Currently $2.99US

Camera Noir is the most powerful black & white photo editor in the App Store.

Built for professional photographers but easy enough for amateurs, it turns your photos into stunning black-and-white images.

With the simple user interface, you have full control over manual camera settings, such as ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Or you can go fully automatic. If you spend a lot of time with Photoshop or Lightroom, then you’re going to freak out. You won’t believe how deep this photo editing app can go.

Classic film stock emulations, real 35mm film grain, and nuanced pro editing tools give you everything you need, plus capabilities missing from other apps:

_Live, Editable Histogram_
Camera Noir gives you unbelievably nuanced control as you adjust the contrast in your photos.

_Black-and-White Mix_
Change luminance for specific spectrum colors: red, orange, yellow, blue, aqua, and magenta.

_Clarity Slider_
Apply very fine contrast in certain parts of the image to bring out the richest details.

#cameranoir
Be sure to tag your work and share it on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for a chance to be featured.

*Connect*
Reach out to us at [email protected], and tell us what you think! We’re always looking for feedback, reports of any bugs, and feature requests.
OS >=8.0

Thanks to the developer for letting me have a promo code for the app!
This I think will very quickly become one of my favourite black and white apps

22 presets. Press and hold and it will show an information tag which shows current settings for that preset.
Full set of editing tools/exposure tool including:
Exposure, Brightness, Contrast, Clarity, Fade, Highlights, Shadows, Sharpness,
Mix (luminance), Histogram, Vignette, Crop, Grain, Intensity.

Save resolution is input=output up to 4096x4096, anything larger is down scaled. The app had for example no problem opening a 25mp image and down scaled it.
When saving you are given three sizes small (1/2 scale), medium and full.

I did have the app crash a few times, once on importing around a 30mp image and another time I applied a filter to a smaller image and it quit. More then once trying to pic an image it also crashed, not sure it's issues with cameraroll having several thousand images in it causing it. I hope the app automatically forwards crash info to the developers as it never told me a reason.

The app is universal but unfortunately only functions in portrait orientation. I almost always edit in landscape so I hope this is added in an update. If I recall right I had the same comment about their app Faded when it was released and it was fixed.

I will send a link to this thread to the developer and hopefully they will join us here.

Samples:
View attachment 71169

View attachment 71170

View attachment 71171

View attachment 71172

View attachment 71173

View attachment 71174

View attachment 71175
Wow! These are stunning images Larry

On a 64gb iPad Air 2, I've had no crashes. On the first run, I did have a display anomaly on the histogram/levels tool screen (two large white circles where the histo lines should have been), but that went away after I quit and relaunched, and it hasn't appeared since.

When editing a full size 8mp image, it runs smoothly on the Air 2 but is laggy on a 16gb iPhone 5s.

Maybe it needs more horsepower then the iPad 3 has and that's causing the crashes..

I'm really liking it, too, though it's a little buggy on my 5C. I've had some crashing and sluggish/lagging comtrols. Might be better on the newer, more powerful devices. I like the Mix tool, in particular.

Fantastic images, Larry. Scuse me being so single-minded, but would you put a couple of them on Dubble? :inlove: :alien: I especially love the lacy black of the um, free-standing thingie.

(Nice review btw :thumbs: :D)
Never thought of that but I will! Now you have me curious...:)

The GMC dashboard shot is a great example of something that's almost all mid-tones and yet still has excellent separation and smooth gradations. Really nice.

I'm curious which presets and/or tools you used on this one. Did you use the Mix tool at all here? (I ask because most old truck interiors I've seen don't have a lot of colors to work with.)

The GMC dashboard shot is a great example of something that's almost all mid-tones and yet still has excellent separation and smooth gradations. Really nice.

I'm curious which presets and/or tools you used on this one. Did you use the Mix tool at all here? (I ask because most old truck interiors I've seen don't have a lot of colors to work with.)
Original was an image from HDR and then bumped up a bit more with DynamicLight. This is preset 3, Clarity was bumped up and that's it.

Y'hafta change it up in dubble every now & then (more now than then imo) to keep the possibilities fresh o_O
Yes you have to change some but I still get nice ones with the covered bridge. I tried a couple b+w in Dubble with a lot of not great but I did manage to get a few with your images so will post them in a few minutes in the Dubble thread.

Yes you have to change some but I still get nice ones with the covered bridge. I tried a couple b+w in Dubble with a lot of not great but I did manage to get a few with your images so will post them in a few minutes in the Dubble thread.

Pity you can't nominate the singles you want...or don't want. I myself have sufficient of your bridge to keep me happy for decades, but there's always someone new posting and always the chance for the bridge to be re-imagined, sotospeak.

Yes you have to change some but I still get nice ones with the covered bridge. I

I've checked the Singles cache some of my favourite Dubbler's after thinking oh no not that one again a few too many times and I think some Dubblers just leave their (often massive) cache as it is. Maybe they don't play with Dubble very often if at all. Maybe they don't care that some of their fellow artistes are pulling out their hair in artiste-like frustration!

... to be clearer if needed for those who might not be aware, there's no such thing (as advertised in the app summary) as aperture control in iOS as iPhone built-in lenses have a fixed aperture (no diaphragm).

... to be clearer if needed for those who might not be aware, there's no such thing (as advertised in the app summary) as aperture control in iOS as iPhone built-in lenses have a fixed aperture (no diaphragm).
I just copied what they had for description, but I know that iOS devices have no aperture and in the app there is shutter speed and iso.

I'm trying to really like it.... not sure what it does differently than Snapseed? Or even Filterstorm? :confused:
The Mix tool is what it has that you don't find in Snapseed and elsewhere. It lets you adjust the luminosity of different colors in the conversion to grayscale. (I think luminosity is the right word.) It's similar to the B/W filter in Photoshop CS, if that helps?

If you just desaturated a color image, you might find that a green and a blue came out as the same gray. With the Mix tool, you could make one a lighter gray (and both darker than reds, etc.).

If you don't need that particular trick, then I don't see any big advantage for Camera Noir.

Back
Top Bottom