jen
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
72C508A1-478C-4587-9A14-5B17C78E6D60.jpeg

Seasonal cheer?

Mindless waste of energy?

Show us the best &/or worst of what’s springing up in your neighbourhood [and, while you’re at it, treat us to your considered opinions :D]

Ho ho ho (where’s the Santa emoji, Smooth ? :mobibabe:)

Btw, in answer to an anonymous enquiry, no, it doesn’t have to be houses. Yes it can be shopfronts, lightposts, trees - in fact it will be very interesting to see some unusual or quirky placements of Christmas lights in your ‘hood. <— Christmas colours, geddit?

Last edited:
I love this thread!! :D Will be so fun seeing holiday lights from around the world. My current neighborhood is a bit boring at the moment, but I know there’s lots of opportunities in the state of New Jersey to grab some wild shots. :lol: Good excuse to go car caroling. :sneaky:

The very best our small ‘hood has to offer... :barf:

HumBug... :rog:

View attachment 103037

Native Camera - Live Photos mode made Gif with ImgPlay... :D
Nice :).

And re ‘humbug’: there’s a fair bit of flashing and blinking and energy-consumption going on there.... Hard to tell scale but I’d say the homeowners have made a decent effort :lmao:

Every year the village two villages over (that’s nearly my ‘hood, right?) celebrates their claim to fame as the town “It’s a Wonderful Life” was based on. We left at 5:30 am to get photos of the lights. It wasn’t quite as spectacular as in the past, but very pretty, indeed.

Just need some snow. Sigh.
IMG_0092.JPG
image.jpeg
IMG_0097.JPG
Snapseed, Retouch

Every year the village two villages over (that’s nearly my ‘hood, right?) celebrates their claim to fame as the town “It’s a Wonderful Life” was based on. We left at 5:30 am to get photos of the lights. It wasn’t quite as spectacular as in the past, but very pretty, indeed.

Just need some snow. Sigh.View attachment 103213View attachment 103214View attachment 103215Snapseed, Retouch
How wonderful! And I love that you have "villages".... I'd love to live in a village.

So far nothing much happening around here. A couple years ago there was some nut a few blocks over that had so many lights that you see the glow from his house from ours. The last couple years I have not seen a whole lot like that. There was a few years back another guy a few miles away that had apparently over 1 million lights, his power bill was running him around $600 per month and most years he had pictures in the paper but he is gone elsewhere and people in there now are quite modest...

This is my son Steven and his partner Janelle’s condo. They have been together just over 9 years which means my son David and his partner Heather have been together over 12 years. Daughter in Calgary has been with Kevin going on 16 I think, none are married and no children or not yet but at this point I am not expecting any either. Have not seen pics of lights at David or Katina’s places.
6D38CF9F-9AE2-435B-941E-AA39F099AE68.png

Right now temperature has been to mild for snowmen to be around. We had just a touch of new snow over night but it meted this afternoon and snow on the south side is going away. Some in sheltered places like the north side still has snow and of course the piles from the grader.

Just need some snow. Sigh.View attachment 103213View attachment 103214View attachment 103215Snapseed, Retouch
Wonderful images Star, even if they’re not exactly keeping the electricity generator boys working overtime.

The houses here are so far apart and the traffic so light that you wonder who will ever see any lights you put up.
On our way home from Moncton we pass through the town of Riverview.
IMG_2690.JPG

The Main Street parallels the Petitcodiac river and there is about 25 feet of land between the road and river. Just enough for some grass, a row of trees, and a walking path. It is along this 1/2 km stretch that the town focuses its decorative efforts. It can be seen from the other side of the river as well but it is very far away from anywhere you can get to to take a picture and would need a long telephoto lens.
IMG_2700.JPG

We followed the walking path (in the pouring rain) to catch the lights before all the snow melted.
IMG_2682.JPG

Just for fun.
Now over to Safari to add the last one.
What a job I had finding this thread in Safari!
299C28E4-65F9-44D1-BF07-263AC4BD41AB.gif

Recorded as video in the fairly new Sparkle Cam app and converted to gif in ImgPlay.
We sure got cold and wet. Thankfully the temperature stayed at +1°C all the way home so the roads didn’t freeze.

Reviewing my message I noted the inconsistency between metric and imperial measure. Since we grew up with feet and °F and switched to metric at about 19 years of age we are completely switched to metric in some things, like temperature, speed and distance on the road in km, but we still weigh ourselves in pounds and measure our height in feet & inches. Construction materials are mostly feet & inches. Gas, petrol, is litres, most liquids are ml or litres, mostly because the switch made every container a bit smaller but the price stayed the same. Everything in the grocery store is sold in ml, litres, grams, kg, but prices for produce and meat are often quoted as $ per pound because that price looks much more attractive than $ per kg. Our money was already metric so it stayed the same. Well it became plastic and devalued. I’m wondering if this duality between metric and imperial measure is a Canadian thing or if this is common in other countries, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom