Christmas Lights in your ‘hood

Not too many people go in for lots of outside decorations/lights here so it's been lovely looking at the contributions. There is no town/streets apart from up in Stornoway (a ferry trip and hours of driving away for me...), this house at the end of my road is about as decorated as it gets here. Photo taken this evening, the lights seem to be standing up to the 40mph+ winds and horizontal rain anyway :D Certainly brightens the place up - we don't even have any street lights down our road...

IMG_3956.JPG

(No post-processing it's just as taken - I stopped the van in the middle of the road, wound down the window and clicked)

So festive!!!! :inlove: Just beautiful. You’re inspiring me to go into the city - Manhattan is pretty fabulous at Christmas time - but I think London’s got one up on us... those peacock feathers!!

Please do, Cat - remember I’m a gal from a hick town that don’t never done seen the likes of them bright lights o_O

Not too many people go in for lots of outside decorations/lights here so it's been lovely looking at the contributions. There is no town/streets apart from up in Stornoway (a ferry trip and hours of driving away for me...), this house at the end of my road is about as decorated as it gets here. Photo taken this evening, the lights seem to be standing up to the 40mph+ winds and horizontal rain anyway :D Certainly brightens the place up - we don't even have any street lights down our road...

View attachment 103718
(No post-processing it's just as taken - I stopped the van in the middle of the road, wound down the window and clicked)

Looks like some elaborate work on the fence...

And I did wonder about rain - let alone horizontal rain :lmao:

I read the following this evening. It's about how the metric system failed to reach North America because of pirates. I know North America isn't all the rest of the Americas but it makes me wonder:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...the-caribbean-hijacked-americas-metric-system

Very interesting. The part about The Metric Conversion Act of 1975 made ma laugh. We spend months out of every year of school learning the metric system because it was the way of the future. It never materialized.

I found this while browsing metric system info online.

The three countries which are not using the metric system are Liberia, Myanmar and of course… the United States of America. Why is the United States so keen on preserving the imperial system? In short, Americans don’t hate the metric system – they hate change.

I read the following this evening. It's about how the metric system failed to reach North America because of pirates. I know North America isn't all the rest of the Americas but it makes me wonder:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...the-caribbean-hijacked-americas-metric-system
Very interesting article. But, when Joseph Dombey never showed up in the states, why didn’t Thomas Jefferson just write to France again and ask them to send someone else over with another kilogram? They’re blaming the pirates, but I say it’s Jefferson’s fault due to poor follow-up skills. :D

Very interesting. The part about The Metric Conversion Act of 1975 made ma laugh. We spend months out of every year of school learning the metric system because it was the way of the future. It never materialized.
I hated that period of time. I wasn’t great with numbers anyway, and now they’re switching it all up on us?? Plus, if we’d learned it at a young age I think it would be different... :barf:

I found this while browsing metric system info online.

The three countries which are not using the metric system are Liberia, Myanmar and of course… the United States of America. Why is the United States so keen on preserving the imperial system? In short, Americans don’t hate the metric system – they hate change.
It was interesting how quickly South Africa adopted the metric system. When I arrived in 1969 with my parents, I had to change from the Imperial System to metric. You couldn’t buy any type of ruler or measuring tape that wasn’t metric. My mother had a measuring tape with Imperial on one side and metric on the other that she guarded with her life :lmao:.

It was interesting how quickly South Africa adopted the metric system. When I arrived in 1969 with my parents, I had to change from the Imperial System to metric. You couldn’t buy any type of ruler or measuring tape that wasn’t metric. My mother had a measuring tape with Imperial on one side and metric on the other that she guarded with her life :lmao:.

Yes, they are still handy.

With all this talk of the metric system, whatever happened to metric time? Everybody still uses analogue time. Hours, minutes, seconds, what a weird system.

Oh, I forgot to post these photos here too! Sorry it’s a bit of a duplicate post...

My friend and I went to Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania to see their Christmas lights. We bundled up and yes, roamed the huge estate in 12°F weather. :eek: I was pretty warm, considering (I should have layered on one more sweater and I would have been toasty, except for my face). They had a few fire pits scattered about to warm up at (sooooo loving that my coat/gloves now smell like woodsmoke! :inlove: )

CB773549-8B17-45DB-88F3-E0E1FE94E495.jpeg
6DBE6BF3-2490-4D17-874F-FEFC77A23D71.jpeg
06C2CB1C-55CA-485B-B173-00E6341EC066.jpeg

Edited with Snapseed and iMovie

Oh, I forgot to post these photos here too! Sorry it’s a bit of a duplicate post...

My friend and I went to Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania to see their Christmas lights. We bundled up and yes, roamed the huge estate in 12°F weather. :eek: I was pretty warm, considering (I should have layered on one more sweater and I would have been toasty, except for my face). They had a few fire pits scattered about to warm up at (sooooo loving that my coat/gloves now smell like woodsmoke! :inlove: )

View attachment 104248 View attachment 104249 View attachment 104250

Wow, someone worked really hard putting all the lights on the trees. Amazing and beautifully photographed.:inlove: Loved the video.

Wow, someone worked really hard putting all the lights on the trees. Amazing and beautifully photographed.:inlove: Loved the video.
Yes!! Sooooo many lights on trees...I can’t imagine it. And on many trees the lights were up super high... I’m sure they had to have used some sort of truck&ladder.

View attachment 104248 View attachment 104249 View attachment 104250

I love the way the trees are lit! I wasn’t able to view the movie.

It has occurred to me in recent years that very few people see our Xmas lights besides ourselves so we might as well place them so we can see them from the window rather that edging the house. Even better to put them inside so we can enjoy them more.

Back
Top Bottom