Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Time Stamp Closed : TS139 2pm Saturday July-7

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by FundyBrian, 6 July 2018.

1. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Time Stamp - Phase 3

New Changes to Time Stamp: We have decided to dispense with the Wrap-up and the Grand Wrapper-Upper and see how that goes. No more favourite photo picked each week. In addition to posting our 2pm photos and the usual exchanges about photos and stories the focus will change enjoying Time Stamp as a happening in itself and, since there will be no wrap-up, perhaps we will make more detailed comments about photos.

If you have any ideas to make Time Stamp more fun please share them with us.
    -------------------------------------
    Join the elite Time Stamp team for Saturday, 2pm, adventures!

Overview: Time Stamp is about developing your ability to come up with good photos on the spot, or on demand, even when it seems there is nothing around to work with, and even if you don’t feel the least bit inspired. To discover the extraordinary among the ordinary. This is the skill of a photojournalist. Too often people only make photos when they feel inspired or when the weather is nice. It is about learning and personal growth. Sharpening your powers of observation and then igniting creativity to create something out of nothing. It is also the ability to make a good photo that can stand on it’s own without relying on a bunch of editing to prop it up. Time Stamp is also about sharing how you feel about the situations/subjects you discover.

Here at MobiTog we have participants all over the world, in many different time zones. What if everyone made a picture at 2pm on Saturday, of whatever is going on, wherever they happen to be, and share that picture on Time Stamp. We should end up with a global snapshot of what is going on everywhere at 2 pm. This could be ordinary, humorous, puzzling, but it is bound to be interesting. The Time Stamp title comes from the metadata that is added to every new photo at the time it is shot, the creation date and time.

Normally there is no theme, but it could happen sometime so watch out:). Set your phone alarm or alert to go off at 2pm. Wherever you happen to be at that time make some photos that tell us something about your location, what you are doing, what you see, whatever is happening, or make something happen. An important detail is that your picture(s) must be made between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, your local time, on Saturday afternoon. Post your pictures (up to 3) on this thread. See what others are doing in many places around the world.

Rules: Please see the Rules and Guidelines for MobiChallenges posted HERE
    • Standard Mobitog image rules apply. Images must be captured/created & edited entirely on a mobile device such as a mobile phone or tablet.
    • All images must be photographed and edited between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, local time. Any editing must be done within that time frame. In other words, don't rely on extensive image manipulation or compositing. These things are allowed, but must be accomplished within the 20 minute window of opportunity. Better to concentrate on capturing a unique moment at 2pm.
    • In addition to the regular (up to) 3 images, you are now allowed to post one additional image, if you want to, to help "set the scene". This image should be described as "to set the scene" or "setting the scene", or "the location" or something similar.
    • You are free to photograph something actually happening, or nothing happening, or make something happen, or to create your own image from scratch, as long as it and any added parts or layers are photographed within the 2:00 to 2:20pm window of opportunity.

NEW! Time Shift Exemption: This applies to special events happening outside the usual Time Stamp window. If you think the event is significant enough and that others would like to see it you can claim the Time Shift Exemption and move your 2pm to fit the event. Try not to overuse this loophole.

Post your images to this thread.

Closing date: entries must be posted no later than 2pm the following day (Sunday). You can post your images right away after making them but if you happen to be in a situation where this is not possible, you have 24 hours.

• Have some creative fun!

Time Stamp is hereby declared an acronym-free zone.

Tips on setting alarms: you can use the Calendar app to set 2 alerts. I like to set the first alert 1 hour ahead in case I have completely forgotten (where's my phone!)(my battery is dead). The second alert I set 15 minutes ahead so I can get ready. You can create a second event at the same time for more alerts! Maybe set your alarm clock to go off right at 2pm to make you jump. Set another alarm to let you know when your time is up.

If you would like to join in the fun, just post a message below saying "I'm in!"

RoseCat likes this.
  2. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I'm in! Time Stamp Phase 3 here we come. No more time-consuming wrap-up! Whew!

GroovyGouvy likes this.
  3. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    It’s been a fast week. Friday already!
    AA3C1808-5CA2-4846-99DE-2E3CE9C3C5C5.jpeg
    Multi-purpose frog acts as iPhone stand. GroovyGouvy

Last edited: 7 July 2018
    GroovyGouvy and RoseCat like this.
  4. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I’m in!

FundyBrian likes this.
  5. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’m in and will leave in a couple of minutes to visit my cousin for the weekend. Think I’ll use timeshift because we’ll be out tonight. So I might be late posting. Hope she has WiFi, but I’ll post anyway. :D

RoseCat and FundyBrian like this.
  6. Starzee

Starzee BIG Font Junkie... MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’m in!

RoseCat, GroovyGouvy and FundyBrian like this.
  7. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Someone needs to invent a Time Stamp satellite wifi system to provide coverage no matter where we find ourselves.

RoseCat, GroovyGouvy and Starzee like this.
  8. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Tell you what: she doesn't have wifi indeed! I'm not even sure she has a computer. Will have to send the pictures to my phone after resizing and send it from there. Prolly tomorrow. We won't be home before … :D

RoseCat and FundyBrian like this.
  9. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    :inlove:

FundyBrian likes this.
  10. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’ve just come back from kayaking on Sawmill Creek.
    Here’s a photo from just before 2 pm when I was still untying the kayak from the roof of my car.
    AD079323-1356-466F-8B6A-23701FEF8CBA.jpeg
    This is Sawmill Creek covered bridge. Some years ago there was a struggle to protect it from demolition when they wanted to put in a new cement and steel bridge. The highway was moved to the left from this photo for the new bridge and the old one remains as a historic icon. No cars allowed, but pedestrians and horses use it. The horses come from nearby Broadleaf Farm where they offer horseback riding and the covered bridge is used as part of their route to the riding trail.
    My path to the creek is immediately before the bridge on the right, quite steep as it turns out.

At 2:01 I was on the Creek in my kayak and turned back for a picture of the bridge.
    2B972E94-1E56-46DF-A2CC-6E4425D3331E.jpeg
    Back on my way, here’s a view along the creek to the first turn with two trees sharing a cloudy halo.
    671BAF27-6DFF-4BFA-A164-CF432BBC0662.jpeg
    I saw a few cows at one point but they were too far back from the creek so I could no longer see them when I got closer.
    Here’s a disappearing fence meant to prevent cows from swimming to freedom.
    34B7D3B6-90E8-48A4-8F35-9F998C9779A8.jpeg
    And here’s an extra picture of what I think must have been an old train bridge from 75 years ago.
    5EDB042D-1A1C-4D6F-8C3D-79E0CC3E5B50.jpeg
    All Apple camera with minimal tweaks in the Photos app. No cropping.

11. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Well, that really is roughing it. ;)

12. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    B3826B8F-EA65-401B-9F89-1F55AF852D99.jpeg
    Well, here is where I was at 2:00pm... :flushed: My iPhone was on the dash working as a GPS so it was pretty easy/safe to grab this shot. Now I’m home unpacking from my short Upstate New York getaway.... :feet:

Snapseed

13. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    What a lovely place to kayak! And to go on a horseback ride. Looks like you spent a wonderful day out.

GroovyGouvy and FundyBrian like this.
  14. deepop

deepop No Mobi-limiter... MobiSupporter

David
    Device:
    iPhone 6
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Your first picture gives absolutely no clue that the bridge crosses a creek. You can definitely see how steep the banks are. Must've been fun getting your kayak in and out of the water. The creek looks so straight; was it initially a canal placed to power the saw mill?

GroovyGouvy, RoseCat and FundyBrian like this.
  15. deepop

David
    Device:
    iPhone 6
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    It's good that you were going home and not joining the queue to go through the Holland Tunnel.

16. deepop

David
    Device:
    iPhone 6
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    At 2 were, as usual, at home. But at 11 t0 1230ish we were ambling around Holyoke which is an old mill town about 10 miles south of us.Per Wikipedia,"Holyoke [was] among the first planned industrial cities in the United States; built in tandem with the Holyoke Dam to utilize the water power of Hadley Falls, it is one of the only cities in New England built around a gridded road plan. During the late 19th century the city produced an estimated 80% of the writing paper used in the United States and was home to the largest paper, silk, and alpaca wool mills in the world." It has 3 major tiered canals connected by millraces that powered the mill machinery.
    Here's view down one the canals.
    fullsizeoutput_5e6e.jpeg
    Unfortunately now most of the mill buildings are vacant with only a few being rehabbed as condos, event spaces, and studios.
    fullsizeoutput_5e7a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5e70.jpeg

One of the smaller buildings has been re-purposed into a community arts center, concert space, and bistro/bar. We had lunch there; there lunch menu for the summer is "European BBQ" cooked by the chef/owner who is originally from Czechoslovakia.
    fullsizeoutput_5e74.jpeg
    Starting at 12 o'clock is brisket, pork (pulled and in cubes), chicken sausage, chicken breast, spicy sausage, and bratwurst. (He makes all the sausages.) The sides were yummy warm sauerkraut and potato salad, and the condiments were mildy pickled horseradish, shredded beets, and spicy mustard. Idon't usually drink beer in the afternoon, but couldn't resist. The weather was beautiful- clear, slightly crisp, a wonderful antidote to the humid heat wave that just left.

The bar(bq)ista at work
    fullsizeoutput_5e69.jpeg

Canvas sails were overhead.
    IMG_5781.JPG

View from the balcony seating of the bistro.
    fullsizeoutput_5e6b.jpeg

17. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Haha! Yes indeed. :D

GroovyGouvy and deepop like this.
  18. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Looks like a cool, funky space! And “80% of the writing paper in the US” is a pretty impressive statistic.

GroovyGouvy, FundyBrian and deepop like this.
  19. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    It was a bit of a struggle getting it back up the bank. Close to 20 feet vertical distance. I think the old mill was a ways upstream. This is a fairly short straight section. After the corner it twists all around. For some reason, the area where the bridge is located is too thin to show up on the map so it is just above where the creek on the map ends. Actually, it continues past the road above and another couple of km.
    C750DFB8-D9FC-4547-A3A7-6726B554D9FB.jpeg
    A40B74C2-EFC0-4241-883F-433D4E9068EE.jpeg
    I found a better map. On this one I circled the covered bridge in red. A lot of those waterways that look the same as the main creek are just little drainage ditches. Another interesting thing. From the creek you can’t see over the banks so your world is only the creek and banks and sky. From that dirt road shown on the map you can never see the creek. It just looks like a vast expanse of grassland.

Last edited: 8 July 2018
    deepop, GroovyGouvy and RoseCat like this.
  20. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    That looks like a lot of lanes!

21. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    What a fascinating place. Obviously a much larger scale than the little saw mill on the creek I paddled on. It would have been made of wood and probably employed maybe 6 people. As far as I know, no trace of it remains.
    I loved the look of the brick building repurposed as studios, with the ivy covering part of the wall. Rich colours.
    Then sky and clouds painted on the ceiling - a nice touch. I liked to photo with sails overhead, I presume as shade. Lots of angles. A nice composition

deepop, GroovyGouvy and RoseCat like this.
  22. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Yes... typical for around here. Also, the lanes to the left of that short divider are “express”, while the lanes to the right are “local” - there are more exit points on the local side.

23. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Haaahaaaaa! Soooo funny! It shows there can easily be understandings even if you speak the same language. Of course my cousin has WiFi! We were talking about computer this morning at breakfast and found she completely misunderstood what I was looking for. :lol: now I’m connected to the world with the pod. Yeah! :lol:
    Now welcome to Bad Hersfeld, an old town about 1 1/2 hours drive from Frankfurt. It is having the Roman (arch.!) monastery church ruin and two museums.
    At the ruin the famous festival takes place, 1400 seats a huge stage. We attended Peer Gynt by Ibsen and it was a horrible enactment, too modernised, that it was hard to find any rudiments of the origin play. But the actors were amazing and the technical equipment as well. And because I couldn’t do more interesting shots that night, I rather post my 2 o‘s with 2 additions. My cousin and I went to walk Amy though the park at the ruin. Here is the park with the church tower. I didn’t realise the geese under the benches until now. Otherwise they would have been completely on the picture.

D0CC7BCC-6201-42EF-BD72-2F42DF02940E.jpeg

The pond with the fountain. And little Amy waiting for the ball to be thrown.

612695F6-DBFC-4A26-94F9-7736F462FC9E.jpeg

The ark in the wall leading to the ruin and Amy. :)

79FE5935-7F19-4CC9-BE7F-F16B31E57183.jpeg

The old monastery church ruin.

8E68D926-C491-498E-9424-BEFAC36DD650.jpeg

Behind it the Katharinen Turm (Catherine‘s Tower) that houses the oldest bell in Germany, the Lullus Bell, rings only five times a year: Christmas, Silvester, Lullus Day, Easter, Whitsun.

5AEE5EC7-6BDE-4042-8728-C650F6C77C7D.jpeg

The sculpture of the two sonst the town: the two Konrads. Konrad Zuse was the founder for computers „because he didn’t like to calculate“ and Konrad Duden (right) was the „inventor“ of the dictionary.

6B36C6F7-C683-4D3D-8535-C57157ABD943.jpeg

Time Stamp over. Add ons:
    While my cousin needed a rest I went off to the town and visited the „Wortreich“ (double meaning: rich of words and also Empire of Words), the museum about both Kontads. Was very modern, beautiful environment and a lot to play for kids, especially when at least two.

26294DF2-0BF6-4BA2-B395-E2602C0C9D79.jpeg

Finally the ruin during the break with full lighting that reminded me on our Luminale. (By the way: the play finished at 10 past Sunday this morning. :))

3003979A-AF0A-41D0-BB84-3AE8E5102FC2.jpeg

RoseCat, FundyBrian and Starzee like this.
  24. Starzee

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    What a lovely place to kayak! We have a section of the Old Erie Canal between our town and the next one over that they are trying to make navigatable for kayaking. Ive never tried, but definitely would with access to a place that close.

I especially like the photo of the disappearing fence. As a country girl, I immediately recognized it as a barrier for cows. There are several such fences in our area. When we had our little boat there was a land mark we called “Cow Beach” along the river. I always thought they were the luckiest cows in the world to have their own beach.

25. Starzee

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Hope you enjoyed your time upstate. Were you close to Syracuse? That’s my area.

The image of the multi-lane highway made me feel a little queasy.

GroovyGouvy, FundyBrian and RoseCat like this.